Waiting for the SOS to approve title

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2015: Waiting for the SOS to approve title
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Chris Olsen 40 miles west of chicago on Friday, March 27, 2015 - 04:34 pm:

Sitting trying to get some work done while waiting for the IL SOS to call. I faxed the paperwork for a bonded title for them to go over before I send them money. The local MTFCI club did the the appraisal, and the state is balking at the fact it is mixed years parts. It shouldn't be an issue, but I hate waiting.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By William L Vanderburg on Friday, March 27, 2015 - 04:37 pm:

Why did you tell them it was mixed year parts?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dennis Seth - Ohio on Friday, March 27, 2015 - 05:35 pm:

I purchased my '22 Coupe 10 years ago. It sat in the shop for 4 years before I started working on it. It took 6 years to do the complete rebuild from the ground up. Every nut, bolt, screw, was removed cleaned painted and returned to the car where possible and replaced when necessary. Engine , transmission, and rear end all rebuilt. All new wood, and a lot of tin work. I just put the final fender and light on it at Christmas. Well the entire time I was working on it I never transferred the title or purchased a license for it because I didn't want to pay for it and not use it. I was very worried about going to go get the title transferred and get plates for it. I took as much paperwork as I had and went last Saturday to the county seat to transfer the title. The lady looked at all the paperwork I had and said that since I purchased it out of state they would need an MV-39 before she could help me. I was very polite and stated that I had everything required so she went down the counter to ask the supervisor about the MV-39 and what should she do. The supervisor came up to the window and looked at all the paperwork I had piled up (never picked up one piece) and said "Honey just give him a title, he's got more papers then we do". Fifteen minutes later I was walking down the hall to get my YOM plates and that took ten minutes and I was out the door. I was all worried for nothing. Now if the gosh darn weather would cooperate I would run it down the road on it's trial run. I've run it down the back roads during the rebuild but now that I'm legal I itching to run.

I have been running the '27 Touring all over the place but now I am dying to run the Coupe.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim Wrenn-Monroeville OH on Friday, March 27, 2015 - 07:14 pm:

Dennis, for all the things that Ohio seems to do "wrong", I for one have to say when it comes to titling/licensing our antique cars, our agencies seem to be the most co-operative of any I've read about on this forum. Too bad the weather isn't as good. 26 degrees for a high temp in late March? Outrageous! :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Chris Olsen 40 miles west of chicago on Saturday, March 28, 2015 - 11:33 pm:

William--- The club president noted it as a reason for the appraisal. 1918 frame, 1923 engine number.
his idea was that being appraised for under 6K it would raise some flags. Best laid plans...

I should know Monday or Tuesday. The supervisor is checking to see if Ts really did have mixed parts. I offered to send links or have the club pres call, but the lady I talked to said no. We'll see.
The club VP assures me we'll get it titled, legally one way or the other. I am resisting the urge to do the out of state thing. That is a bit grey for me. Though my Brother in Law lives in Ohio...

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Chris Olsen 40 miles west of chicago on Monday, March 30, 2015 - 02:23 pm:

Heard back:
Chris, I finally got an answer and because you altered the frame and put a 1923 engine with a 1918 body you will need to go with it being a 2015 Special Constructed Roadster with a Vin to be assigned

Except I didn't alter the frame. She's back at 2. I'll call her then.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By ROBERT BERGSTADT on Monday, March 30, 2015 - 02:46 pm:

Chris
sent you a pm, Bob

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Chris Olsen 40 miles west of chicago on Monday, March 30, 2015 - 03:39 pm:

I have gone up a level of supervisors.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dennis Seth - Ohio on Monday, March 30, 2015 - 04:08 pm:

Sorry to hear you are having so much trouble getting your car titled. At some point you may want to walk away from this title office and walk into another and start over. Just give them the information they ask for don't elaborate. It's a 1923 Model T with the vin number that's stamped on the motor. They don't need to know about the frame and body other then the body style. If they don't ask don't tell. This is not being dishonest your just providing the information they request. If they need a value then go on the forum or e-bay and tell them this is what they sell for pay the tax and move on.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Chris Olsen 40 miles west of chicago on Monday, March 30, 2015 - 04:17 pm:

Dennis: the trouble is I'm talking to the people who look at the paperwork in Springfield, not the local DMV. Our club President was being honest and thorough, and that messed the whole thing up. (I'm not mad at him, btw) In Il it is a bonded title system, and they need an appraisal to see what to set the bond at.
grrr.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Chris Olsen 40 miles west of chicago on Wednesday, April 01, 2015 - 10:08 am:

OK, I need to find either a 23 frame or 18 engine, swap them out so everything matches and I'm good.
le sigh.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By ROBERT BERGSTADT on Wednesday, April 01, 2015 - 10:10 am:

Chris call me have frames in stock, Bob

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By William L Vanderburg on Wednesday, April 01, 2015 - 10:32 am:

WOW. Oh my God. I think this has been made more difficult that it needed to be.

Since there are no numbers on any frames prior to 1926, what difference does it make?

I'm not trying to be an ass here, but I would just go somewhere else and start over.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By William L Vanderburg on Wednesday, April 01, 2015 - 10:38 am:

The out of state thing works.....

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By William L Vanderburg on Wednesday, April 01, 2015 - 10:50 am:

Here's my thoughts: I would have just written a notarized statement detailing how I obtained the car and when, got an appraisal, and then decided what type of bond I wanted, either Surety or Cash. Pay the man the tax, and then received my title in the mail.

I would have left out the part about MIXED parts.

I hope you get this worked out.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Chris Olsen 40 miles west of chicago on Wednesday, April 01, 2015 - 10:56 am:

I didn't write the letter, it was included in the appraisal. Il has started inspecting out of state older cars in efforts to close up this loophole. I have a lead on t frame, and it is east to change things. I agree that I gave them too much information. We all thought this would be no problem.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By ROBERT BERGSTADT on Wednesday, April 01, 2015 - 11:14 am:

Chris I have frames, Bob

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By M G Hillhouse on Wednesday, April 01, 2015 - 11:29 am:

Am I missing something??? The'18 frame is the same as a'23. Malory

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Wednesday, April 01, 2015 - 11:34 am:

AND if there was any difference between an 18 and a 23 frame would anybody at the DMV know that? Ha!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John Semprez-Templeton, CA on Wednesday, April 01, 2015 - 12:20 pm:

The perfect storm. An individual showing off how much he knows VS an agency showing how much they care. Never a good mix.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Wednesday, April 01, 2015 - 12:26 pm:

Where's the LIKE button? :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Chris Olsen 40 miles west of chicago on Wednesday, April 01, 2015 - 12:30 pm:

John, that wasn't the issue. He was worried that because the appraised value ($4000) would seem low, so he qualified the appraisal. He did the same for another club member a number of years ago and had no issues. The SOS has gotten stricter since then. I actually had a nice polite chat with the supervisor, who while sympathetic to what I wanted to do, couldn't bend the rules.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dennis Seth - Ohio on Wednesday, April 01, 2015 - 01:06 pm:

Get a paint brush and some black paint, paint your frame and take it back in a month and tell them you changed to a matching frame year.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Chris Olsen 40 miles west of chicago on Wednesday, April 01, 2015 - 01:33 pm:

Dennis---Shhh

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By john kuehn on Wednesday, April 01, 2015 - 01:58 pm:

I am in the process of getting a bonded title and am I glad I am going through a bonded title service.
I restored my 21 Touring that was given to me (the remains) by my father in the early seventies. No title, no bill of sale, nothing.

He had a friend of his bring home a load of T frames and other parts and that was it.

I told the bonding service my situation and they sent me instructions on what to do and NOT do.

They were adamant to keep it simple as possible in giving a description of the car and what if anything you did to it. DO NOT give a detailed explanation of how or what you did to it.

The bonding service informed me of the big headaches that will arise if you go into to much detail.

If I would have went myself to the DMV It would have been a nightmare in getting the correct paperwork after telling them of my situation.

The bonding service knew all the pitfalls that would arise in my situation.

Again I learned that the old saying of 'keep it simple' works when getting a title for an antique car.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Pat Clark-Deer Lodge, Tn on Wednesday, April 01, 2015 - 08:38 pm:

I'm glad I live in TN, they just gave me a title, the day I asked for one. I just needed two pictures of it, and a value. Took my pictures of it to a auto salvage yard, he wrote a appraised value of $250.00. Took both to the DMV and, walla, I had a '27 Tudor Sedan title! I think it cost around $15.00 total, plus $27.50 for plates, which I transfered to my truck right then.

He's the pictures I used! Yes, that is snow. I took the pictures in MN, before I moved here.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Craig Anderson, central Wisconsin on Wednesday, April 01, 2015 - 08:58 pm:

Four words: Don't ask, don't tell.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dennis Seth - Ohio on Friday, April 10, 2015 - 06:22 am:

Any luck with your title yet?

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration