Equalizer

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2015: Equalizer
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mike Perigo - Linton, IN on Friday, March 27, 2015 - 05:43 pm:

Can the brake equalizer used for converting 26-27 emergency brakes be used as service brakes be used with AC brakes?

Thanks,
Mike

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jack Daron - Brownsburg IN on Friday, March 27, 2015 - 05:53 pm:

An equalizer is an equalizer. If you know where to mount it,it will work I always mount mine on the cross shaft. Are you coming to auction/Mtg Sat?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Strange - Hillsboro, MO on Friday, March 27, 2015 - 06:10 pm:

Yes, I actuate my AC brakes using the equalizer, here is an earlier thread showing how I did it:

http://www.mtfca.com/discus/messages/411944/413737.html

Here is a video showing a setup that another guy did using pull rods instead of the cable and pulley:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RwVeIbRx7wE

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Gilbert V. I. Fitzhugh on Friday, March 27, 2015 - 06:43 pm:

Isn't it a poor idea to have an equalizer on the little internal-expanding emergency brake? If you lose a wheel, the equalizer will send the pull from the hand brake to the brake shoe with no resistance- the one whose wheel has gone bye-bye. I lost the rear wheel on an '06 Buick once - scary! At the HCCA convention in Arizona a year ago, I was riding in a T that, two days later, lost a rear wheel. Fortunately, it happened on a wide, dead flat road in the middle of a small town with no traffic, and the T just sort of slithered to a halt. Five minutes earlier it had been on a winding, hilly, busy two-lane highway with trucks. Without an equalizer on the pitiful little emergency brake of last resort, he might have ben able to stop. Eventually. With an equalizer, he'd have had nothing.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Val Soupios on Friday, March 27, 2015 - 07:10 pm:

I used the '26/'27 equalizer for my AC brake set up on a '14. I spent a fair amount of time adjusting and modifying it to get it working correctly but I am happy with the results.
Gil, The equalizer does not affect the Ford parking brake system which should continue to function even after a wheel is lost since the brake rod to the remaining wheel still gets activated. I have lined shoes on all my cars for that reason. I figure the braking system on one wheel and the drag from the axle on the ground should "equalize" the stopping effect. If you snap an axle or shear a pin on the earlier straight axles the AC brake equalizer will work just fine and that I know from experience!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Gilbert V. I. Fitzhugh on Friday, March 27, 2015 - 07:18 pm:

Thank you, Val. That makes sense. I was reacting to the original post that seemed to suggest to me that the '26-'27 drum emergency brakes were converted to an equalizer.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Larry Smith on Saturday, March 28, 2015 - 09:51 am:

I use original Rocky Mountain Brakes made in the '20s. They use a cable and equalizer. Very simple, and they work too.

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration