Front Hub Threads

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2015: Front Hub Threads
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dave Wilson, Saint John NB, Canada on Friday, March 27, 2015 - 10:45 pm:

I am planning to refinish the wheels on my 1927 Touring.I am concerned about the hubs however, as after I removed the hubcaps from the front hubs, they will not go back on easily. It appears to me that the hubs have swollen slightly. This doesn't seem to be a problem with the rear hubs so I assume that the heat generated by the front bearings has expanded the hubs. Any suggestions on how to deal with this?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By G.R.Cheshire on Friday, March 27, 2015 - 10:53 pm:

either that or someone removing the outer race with a screwdriver or a punch and a large hammer and hitting too much on one side!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Friday, March 27, 2015 - 10:59 pm:

Yes, the problem could be boogered-up threads. If so, you'll need some exercise with a thread file.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Royce in Georgetown TX on Saturday, March 28, 2015 - 07:53 am:

I use my KR Wilson hub thread chaser to fix hub threads. Orange arrow points to it in this picture. Maybe someone in your local club has one? This tool, and the similar looking exhaust manifold thread chaser should be reproduced by someone.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Larry Smith on Saturday, March 28, 2015 - 09:41 am:

I doubt if you hub has swollen! You may want to take a closer look at the hub cap. However, if the threads are damaged, the tool Royce pictured above is a fine tool to restore threads.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Saturday, March 28, 2015 - 10:04 am:

There was also a hub thread tool made by Stevens. I've been looking for one for years. I'll probably end up making my own.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Roger Karlsson, southern Sweden on Saturday, March 28, 2015 - 10:15 am:

Wayne Sheldon made a hub thread die out of a cheap 3/8" die with the same 24 tpi. See this thread:
http://www.mtfca.com/discus/messages/331880/348911.html?1364737600

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John Zibell on Saturday, March 28, 2015 - 10:20 am:

I've re-sized front hub threads using a rear wheel puller. Install the puller and tighten the bolt. The loosen the bolt and remove the puller. The hub cap went on easily after that.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Roger Karlsson, southern Sweden on Saturday, March 28, 2015 - 10:28 am:

Now that's an idea, John :-)
I had a problem getting a cap on the right front wheel when I first started driving with my primitive pickup, that's why it has a Cream Soda can taped on the hub in my profile photo.. I had time to find the thread file when I got back from the maiden drive - just some tape to seal the bearing from shavings, a few minutes with the file and the Ford hubcap fit allright :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By brass car guy on Saturday, March 28, 2015 - 10:38 am:

I might suggest using the hub puller and adding some fine valve grinding compound just to help clean the threads and add a bit of lubrication as well.

just sayin,

brasscarguy

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mike Walker, NW AR on Saturday, March 28, 2015 - 11:30 am:

BCG -- Wouldn't that method also grind the threads of the puller?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John Zibell on Saturday, March 28, 2015 - 01:31 pm:

I don't think I'd use the valve grinding compound. It would have an effect on both the hub and hub puller. If the threads are a little dirty afterwards, use one of these http://www.snydersantiqueauto.com/373

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Saturday, March 28, 2015 - 01:53 pm:

The problem with the one-piece chaser is that you have to screw it on from the outer end, which is where the damaged threads usually are. I think I'll use Wayne's method.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jerry VanOoteghem - SE Michigan on Saturday, March 28, 2015 - 03:23 pm:

Dave,

Look closely at the front hub outer bearing races to be sure they are not cracked. A cracked/split bearing race will expand the hub nose and cause a tight fit with the hub cap.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dave Wilson, Saint John NB, Canada on Saturday, March 28, 2015 - 03:33 pm:

Thanks guys for all your great suggestions. I am presently in sunny Florida. As soon as I return home to the Great White North I will tackle the hubs. Should have them fixed by the time the snow disappears. Talked to my daughter today and she says that the guard rails along the highway have started to re-appear after hibernating for the winter.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By R. S. Cruickshank on Saturday, March 28, 2015 - 06:39 pm:

For what it is worth, I had the same problem mentioned about the thread chaser (the one that is sold by many of the T parts guys). I could not get it to start without going crooked. An elderly friend solved the problem. He put the chase in a vice and lowered the wheel onto it. He could easily see if it were crooked and the weight of the wheel was enough that he wasn't concerned with pushing the wheel down on the chase. Worked very well.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Gary London, Camarillo, CA on Saturday, March 28, 2015 - 10:10 pm:

I have an early front hub that I need chased. It is not mounted, I was just getting ready to send parts to Stutzman's.

Would one of you guys that has an original KRW thread chaser be willing to clean it up for me if I mail it to you with a return shipping label? It does measure out slightly larger than it's matting hub and I cannot get a hub puller to start on it correctly, but it starts on the other 3 hubs just fine.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Martin Vowell, Sylmar, CA on Saturday, March 28, 2015 - 10:44 pm:

I used a hub cap that I filed 3 grooves equally spaced through the inside threads with a triangle file. It wont cut new threads, but it will clean up dirty and buggered lead or mid travel threads. Just use like a die, with slow quarter turns and back one, it cleans them up pretty good. Plus you can just put it back on the car when you're done I keep it on the right rear hub. :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Royce in Georgetown TX on Saturday, March 28, 2015 - 11:00 pm:

Gary,

I will fix it for you. Send me a PM.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Sean Butler Huntington Beach, CA on Saturday, March 28, 2015 - 11:50 pm:

I had my hands on one of those Stevens chasers years ago while first arriving at Hershey. Told myself "I'll grab that on the way back to the car a little later". I'm sure you all know how that turned out...

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Gary London, Camarillo, CA on Sunday, March 29, 2015 - 12:15 am:

Thanks Royce, message sent!

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration