Old Photos- Two Member photos on Shorpy.

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2015: Old Photos- Two Member photos on Shorpy.
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dane Hawley Near Melbourne Australia on Saturday, March 28, 2015 - 05:05 am:

http://www.shorpy.com/node/19383

http://www.shorpy.com/node/19382

Member is asking make (obviously Ford T) perhaps someone here can give reasonably accurate dating.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Roger Karlsson, southern Sweden on Saturday, March 28, 2015 - 08:25 am:

Here they are:

t1
Looks like a 1923-25 Model T Touring with one man top and a sloping windshield. Non demountables were still available, though not so common. I would guess it's a high hood 1924/25 model, but I wouldn't bet on it ;)

t2

This is a 1915/16 Model T Runabout. I guess the tires with light natural rubber sides and a black smooth "tread" area were introduced during the 1916 model year (?), but maybe this is a used '15 with new tires sometime later?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Hap Tucker in Sumter SC on Saturday, March 28, 2015 - 08:52 am:

Roger,

Because the people are standing in front of the cowl area of the touring we cannot (or I cannot) tell if it is a low cowl which would make it a 1923 or a high cowl that would make it a 1924-25. Based on the wear and tear on the car, if the photo was taken around 1924 as the Shorpy caption said, I would think it is more likely a 1923. But I cannot see if the front fenders do or do not have a lip (1923 if no lip and 1924-25 if a lip). Same for if the radiator does not 1923) or does have an apron at the bottom (24-25). From the windshield and the location we can say it is a USA produced touring as the Canadian version had a hinge on the lower windshield also.

The same for 1915-16 -- we cannot tell anything about the rims of the lamps which would be one of the major items. We can see the horn button on top of the steering column and most but not all 1916s had that while most but not all 1915s had the bulb horn.

I would have posted a note on Shorpy but it wasn't acting normally for me -- running really slow etc. So if someone has an account there and can provide them the information that the both are Model Ts and the year ranges 1923-25 and 1915-16 that would be a help to them.

Dane -- thanks for posting the link. Roger -- thanks for posting the photo -- that way they will be available later even if they are removed from Shorpy.

Respectfully submitted,

Hap l9l5 cut off

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dane Hawley Near Melbourne Australia on Sunday, March 29, 2015 - 06:09 am:

Hap, I had already posted my opinion which seems to agree with the consensus. I have now posted a link to this discussion, so hopefully the owner of the photos will now be well informed.

Dane.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Hap Tucker in Sumter SC on Sunday, March 29, 2015 - 07:12 am:

Dane,

Thank you for also updating the Shorpy site. When I went back there today, I did see your comments, but when I went there yesterday, I was not able to see any comments. Yesterday the Shorpy site was acting a little strange on my computer.

I hope all is well with you and your family. Have you thought about looking for a T to purchase? I know, not nearly as comfortable as the modern Rover, but I think you would really enjoy another one.

Respectfully submitted,

Hap l9l5 cut off

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dane Hawley Near Melbourne Australia on Monday, March 30, 2015 - 06:18 am:

Busy as usual, Hap, but hale, hearty and as healthy as age will allow. Another T? well, maybe one day but my problem lies in the fact that to go anywhere I have to use a 60mph busy main road, and modern drivers don't understand anything under 60.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Hap Tucker in Sumter SC on Monday, March 30, 2015 - 06:28 pm:

Dane,

I'm glad to hear you are doing well. Yes, if the only access from your location is a freeway -- that makes the T a lot more challenging. A speedster with good brakes, better steering, aux transmission etc. could work - but I like the stock ones better "if" I can find a safe place to drive.

Can you store the car somewhere that is more Model T friendly? A trailer and tow vehicle could work but that would tend to get old quickly -- especially for a short drive...

Club house...maybe you could start a club house and garage for old car folks in a nice location with slow roads & pace?

And of course perhaps moving is an option? If you are close to retiring maybe when you retire you could relocate?

I'm glad to hear you are doing good and thank you for all your support to our T hobby!

Respectfully submitted,

Hap l9l5 cut off

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dane Hawley Near Melbourne Australia on Tuesday, March 31, 2015 - 06:13 am:

Hap, I have been retired for about five years now, and plan to stay where I am as long as possible. Nearest neighbour is over half a mile away, so I can't see another house from our place.
The road is not a freeway, but is a busy two lane highway. Rovers can accelerate to 60 fairly quickly so I manage all right.
I really don't see a T in my future unless things change, and I rid myself of some of the 13 Rovers on hand, but I am still very very interested in the history of Ford, the particulars of the T and pre-T cars, and through the Forum enjoying reading about them and members work, driving and stories.

Below is a photo of me taken nearly 50 years ago, examining a motor that a friend had just found. The pig in the paddock was friendly but had to ham it up and get into the picture.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Strange - Hillsboro, MO on Tuesday, March 31, 2015 - 09:02 am:

The pig had to "Ham it up!" LOL, good one! :-O

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration