OT 28-29 Model A pickup question

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2015: OT 28-29 Model A pickup question
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Howard D. Dennis on Saturday, March 28, 2015 - 11:32 am:

I need to know how long the bed skid strips are that hold the wood together in the pickup bed.

Howard Dennis

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Gregush Portland Oregon on Saturday, March 28, 2015 - 12:26 pm:

Ask over at Fordbarn.com. They have an active A section. By time I would ask Tom at the Model A Ford Works on Monday get home and reply you might have a reply on Fordbarn.
http://www.fordbarn.com/forum/

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Les VonNordheim on Saturday, March 28, 2015 - 11:19 pm:

Hi Howard,
I have a restored 29 model A P/U. The bed skid strips are 52-1/2" long. There are four individual strips held in place with 7 Carriage style bolts.

I do not have an original strip to compare with what is in my car. The wood looks to be natural finished Oak. The strips are not painted....either stainless or aluminum.

My model A has hydraulic brakes (48 Ford)....otherwise, mostly stock.

Now I have a question that you may help me with.
Should a 29 model A have a -1 or -2 Zenith carburetor? I changed the -1 to a -2 and it now runs much better. Tried cleaning the -1 and could not get it to run well.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Howard D. Dennis on Saturday, March 28, 2015 - 11:25 pm:

Thanks fellows for your help. I was looking at a deal online for a kit with these strips and thought maybe I could use them on my 1917 Maxwell express body but thanks to your measurements I now know they are 2 inches short.

Howard Dennis

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Gregush Portland Oregon on Saturday, March 28, 2015 - 11:38 pm:

Les unless you are doing a points car, dose not matter. The carbs were made by Ford, Holly or Zenith. They are all the same. The reason the one works better is the jets that are in it may be better sized for your engine and driving.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Les VonNordheim on Sunday, March 29, 2015 - 12:22 am:

Hi Mark,
No, I'm not doing a points car....just was wondering which was correct for 29. When I had both the -1 & -2 apart, did not notice any differences with jet size's....both looked the same inside.
I guess if it is not broke don't fix it....smile!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Dewey, N. California on Sunday, March 29, 2015 - 02:26 am:

Reproduction A carb jets vary quite a bit, and many of them leak where the jet tube is inserted into the hex threaded part, or screw slot end. I solder the seams to prevent any leakage, and it makes the carb much more reliable.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Gregush Portland Oregon on Sunday, March 29, 2015 - 11:34 am:

I haven't seen any problems with the jets leaking whee the tube is attached to the base. What I have noted and others as well is that many of the repo jets are not concave at the tip like the originals. Many of them are dome shaped so the fuel want to migrate over the top. The concave ones allow the fuel to have some surface tension and pool at the end instead of just spilling out.
Of course all this is moot if the float level is wrong.
Les;
Ether carb is correct for 29. I just checked the copy of the judging standards (1997 updated). I would have to check more but it looks like the No2 may have gone from raised letters to recessed letters in about mid 29. The throttle lever would be nickle plated brass, the plug on the bottom, air adjusting needle and screen would be brass also on both carbs for 29.

While the jets many look the same from what I understand, the depth of the actual hole plays a part on fuel flow. For example if you had two jets both drilled to the same size, one the plug at the end was say 1/8 inch deep and the other just filled in at the top. Then then are both sized to say .062. The fuel flow at the tip will be different between the jets even though the holes look to be the same size.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Les VonNordheim on Sunday, March 29, 2015 - 07:17 pm:

Thanks Mark.
I grew up around model A fords but did not pay attention to small changes such as with the -1 & -2. My 29 model A is a very good restoration but not a show car. I like driving the model T more but still enjoy owning/driving the A. My Grandson say's "That's his driver". He like the model A the best.

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration