Valve Adjusting feeler and piston travel different gap

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2015: Valve Adjusting feeler and piston travel different gap
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Michael Velling, Germany on Saturday, March 28, 2015 - 12:45 pm:

Hello,

i am rebuilding an engine as spare engine.
New pistons, new rods, new main bearings, new valves.
Overhauled crankshaft.
Camshaft in good but old condition.

Now the question (no valve springs mounted):

1. i adjusted all valves with the feeler gauge to a gap 0,012 inch.

2. i used the piston travel adjustment and and now the gap is adjusted to around 0,028 inch and 0,030 inch.

What do you think?

In my experience from the engine i rebuild years ago the piston travel method works fine.

Which gap would you use.

Thanks a lot

Michael
www.ford-t.info

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Nicholas Lingg - Tarboro, NC on Saturday, March 28, 2015 - 12:53 pm:

Use the piston travel method. The Crankshaft or the cam shaft is twisted. So with the piston travel method it will compensate.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Anthonie Boer on Saturday, March 28, 2015 - 01:43 pm:

Michael ;
Always mount the valve springs. You will see that after you mount the springs the measurements will change.
All the best from holland .And good luck with your engine.
Toon

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Anthonie Boer on Sunday, March 29, 2015 - 06:47 am:

Michael ;
Is this the beginning of your spare engine ????
Toon
696R

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Michael Velling, Germany on Sunday, March 29, 2015 - 09:05 am:

Yes thats it :-)

Some pictures from the rebuilding are on my website:

http://www.penserjoch.com/velling/2014/bildergalerie/IrfanView/Motor%202/motor2. html

Including this picture and the transport from Klaaswaal to Toenisvorst :-)

Michael

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Norman T. Kling on Sunday, March 29, 2015 - 07:55 pm:

If you have a new camshaft with new bearings, use the feeler method. That will give you accurate valve timing and silent operation. But with a worn camshaft, you will get better performance with the piston travel method, but the valves will be noisier.
Norm

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ted Dumas on Sunday, March 29, 2015 - 08:25 pm:

Since its a spare, get a new or reground camshaft and set it up with feeler gages. On my original 24 engine, the camshaft was near perfect, I set the valves with gages and then just for fun, checked them against piston travel. They were the same by both methods.

With a worn camshaft,Norm is right on. When I overhauled my 27 engine in 1962, I set the valves up by feeler gages. Afterwards it never seemed as powerful as before. Later, I replaced the valves and timed them by the K.R. Wilson piston travel method. The valves were noisy, but the engine ran better than ever.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Richard Gould, Folsom, CA on Sunday, March 29, 2015 - 11:28 pm:

Man oh man, Anthonie nailed it. Whatever method you use, do one valve at a time with springs loaded on the rest. The inevitable play in the cam bearings, both in the engine bore and the fit of the cam will make a big difference on valve lash if you keep the springs in place vs adjusting them without spring tension. Took me a lot of years and quite a few mistakes to learn this.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Michael Velling, Germany on Monday, March 30, 2015 - 04:18 pm:

Thanks a lot. Will try with springs.

Michael

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration