1925 front fender/ what do I have?

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2015: 1925 front fender/ what do I have?
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Don Skille on Saturday, March 28, 2015 - 03:23 pm:

I bought what I thought was a 1925 front fender that the bead runs under the splash apron. This fender was often referred to as a truck fender. "But" The one I have does not have the lip at the front of the fender to meet the radiator apron that the cars had from 23-25. Did the trucks not have a radiator apron and this is a truck fender.

'

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Greg Ragland , Pea Ridge Arkansas on Saturday, March 28, 2015 - 05:06 pm:

Don, Mike Walker has one just like yours. There was a discussion in an earlier thread about it. Here is a link to the post. There is a good picture of his fender there.
http://www.mtfca.com/discus/messages/411944/466334.html

Greg

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Don Skille on Saturday, March 28, 2015 - 07:55 pm:

Greg, Thank you for the link to the earlier post. I read it from beginning to end but I am still a little confused. I did learn a lot though.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Martin Vowell, Sylmar, CA on Saturday, March 28, 2015 - 09:12 pm:

Don, does you fender look like this one?

Notice there is no bead flange on the front of the fender where the apron would be.

If it does look likes these, my license plate should put you in the ball park as to the year. :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Hap Tucker in Sumter SC on Saturday, March 28, 2015 - 09:21 pm:

Don,

None of the 1923 USA model year cars or trucks that I know of (manufactured September 1922 to July 1923 ish ref: http://www.mtfca.com/encyclo/1923.htm ) with the low cowl had the fenders with the lip to match up with the radiator apron as they did not have the radiator apron either.

All of the 1924 USA “high cowl” model year cars and trucks that I know of ( manufactured Aug 1923 Aug 1924 ref: http://www.mtfca.com/encyclo/1924.htm ) had the lip on the fenders to match the new splash apron below the radiator. (That includes the Ton Trucks (TT)).

A summary from the previous thread as it applies to your fender. Your fender and others that do NOT have the folded over lip that was introduced with the 1924 model year cars but do have the bead running under the splash apron were produced by Ford and sold by Ford for repair use on the 1923 and earlier cars that did NOT have the lip on the fender. They would have most likely been produced sometime after late 1924 when the bead was changed on the fenders used on some (not all) of the 1925 production.

Additional summary details:

From that posting On August 18, 1923 Ford USA removed the EXP (Experimental) from the part number for the fender with the folded over lip and specified for use in 1924 [model year cars]. At this time the bead still went around the splash apron. Note the photo below where it shows a new 1924 car which has the lip and the bead runs around the splash shield.

Below the same photo with the contrast adjusted to show the bead on the front fender better:

And from the posting [Bruce’s (R.I.P.) on line encyclopedia at: http://www.mtfca.com/encyclo/F-H.htm#fen1 see the 1925 entry] “Beginning in late 1924: similar to 1923 style but bead on front fenders now ran under the splash aprons.”

That "lip first" and "bead moved second" is also what the MTFCI Sixth Edition Judging Guidelines say. (Great source of information and as you already know -- yes they will update it -- but they require documentation. Available from the MTFCI or the vendors.) For 1924 on page 1 of the 1924 section item 130 Fenders: "Bent flare at front fender apron matched the contour of the lower radiator valance." There was no mention of the fender bead running under the splash apron. And in the 1925 section, page 1 item 130 it has the same "Bent flare at front fender apron matched the contour of the lower radiator valance." But it adds the following: "Some front fenders had the bead go "under" the apron (sometimes called "commercial fenders"). [And for both 1924 and 1925 they had other comments about fenders -- but those are the ones that pertain to the flare (also called lip) and the location of the bead.]

So sometime around or perhaps later of “late 1924” time frame Ford probably stopped producing the 1917-1923 replacement front fenders with the bead going around the splash apron and began making them with the bead going under the splash apron. Exactly when that change occurred and how long both styles were available for replacement I do not know. But clearly the fender you have would be considered a replacement fender and not an original 1917-1923 car fender. And it would not be considered a 1924-27 truck fender as the 1924 – 1927 truck fenders had the lip on the front of the fender.

Disclaimer – there is always more to learn. If anyone has some additional documentation or evidence that supports a different story, please let us know. Remember at one time the “common knowledge” said the 1915s came with a hand klaxon from the factory – but that was changed later as additional evidence was discovered and reviewed.

Hopefully that helps clear things up some for you. If not – please ask your question(s) – sometimes what I think is not what I typed etc…

Respectfully submitted,

Hap l9l5 cut off

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Don Skille on Sunday, March 29, 2015 - 01:24 am:

Hap,

I think that I have it now. The fender I have is a replacement fender for a 17-23 car. It is exactly like a 24-27 car and truck fenders without the lip on the front of the fender.

Thank you every one for the input.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mike Walker, NW AR on Sunday, March 29, 2015 - 09:55 am:

Don -- Is yours for the driver's or passenger's side of the car?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Larry Smith on Sunday, March 29, 2015 - 11:13 am:

Gosh Don, why didn't you come over? I could have given you a crash course on that right in my garage!

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration