Adding frame horns for nerf bar (kinda) bumper

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2015: Adding frame horns for nerf bar (kinda) bumper
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Nathan Bright from Central NC on Saturday, March 28, 2015 - 04:54 pm:

Hey folks,

So as im building my speedster I am realizing that i want some protection on the front of my car just in case. Has anyone added "frame horns" to their T to add a nerf bar? Im looking for something similar to this.

http://www.nwvs.org/Photolib/800Pixel/Car00946.jpg

Thanks!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Roger Karlsson, southern Sweden on Saturday, March 28, 2015 - 06:21 pm:

Clayton Paddison has frame horns from a 1912 Cadillac model 30 on his lowered 1926 runabout. You'll find lots of pictures of his car if you google his name.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Nathan Bright from Central NC on Sunday, March 29, 2015 - 04:40 pm:

i have seen his car but i have a problem with cutting up a chassis. particularly one as rare as a 12 caddy

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Roger Karlsson, southern Sweden on Sunday, March 29, 2015 - 05:13 pm:

I would too, but I think his father or grandfather has been playing with old cars since ww2 or so, so they have lots of remains from earlier projects laying around - it's not like he cut it from something restoreable.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By kep on Sunday, March 29, 2015 - 05:17 pm:

Make the frame horns from strips of metal. i am shocked that you would even think you had to cut up a real car.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Nathan Bright from Central NC on Sunday, March 29, 2015 - 05:35 pm:

okay. well my metal working skils are only so-so and i would like to work on them. what gauge material should i be making these out of? They do not need to support the weight of the car but I am using it as a bumper... so it should be somewhat hefty.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By kep on Sunday, March 29, 2015 - 10:44 pm:

Well... i have some steel strap that would suit. It looks about 40mm wide by 2 or 2.5mm thick. Not sure what that works out to in imperial sizes. Some 16 gauge scraps from somewhere should be easy enough to cut the horn shape from and the steel strap bent to fit the horn shape should work. you don't even need tools to bend it, i bend it with my hands or the fork of a tree.
After that the strap would only need welding to the horn, The horn fitting to the car, Not sure if you wanted to weld or bolt it on, Then the pipe between them at the front.
That is unless you wanted to beat the whole horn from a single sheet of metal. Probably more skill involved and i don't know how to shrink the nose piece properly..

So yeah 16 gauge should work for a light bumper bar.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By kep on Sunday, March 29, 2015 - 10:50 pm:

Sorry for the long long post.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Les Schubert on Sunday, March 29, 2015 - 10:51 pm:

I would suggest 11 gauge (which is 1/8" which is what the T frame seems to be). It is what I'm using for the Ross steering box frame stiffener

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Nathan Bright from Central NC on Thursday, April 02, 2015 - 12:32 am:

great! thanks guys. Im going to a couple swap meets so ill see if i can find anything pre-made but then i think ill start welding! I think i will bolt on the horns so that if i hit anything i can find/make another set and put them back on

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tom Miller, Mostly in Dearborn on Thursday, April 02, 2015 - 06:48 am:

Look at Snyder's A-5005-CH

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Roger Karlsson, southern Sweden on Thursday, April 02, 2015 - 07:53 am:

Great suggestion, Tom :-)
http://www.snydersantiqueauto.com/821

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Nathan Bright from Central NC on Thursday, April 02, 2015 - 07:29 pm:

I have looked at model A horns, but they are not long enough to pull off what I want to do. Great suggestion though!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By kep on Friday, April 03, 2015 - 01:56 am:

This thread inspired me to make my own frame horns.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bill Harper - Keene, NH on Friday, April 03, 2015 - 08:55 am:

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Seth from NC on Friday, April 03, 2015 - 08:59 am:

Nathan will your T have a starter? The ones I've seen with any kind of bumper get up make me claustrophobic when I think about having to crank them.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John P. Steele, Montana on Friday, April 03, 2015 - 10:26 am:

Bill is that some kind of sway bar set up you have on your front end?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Seth from NC on Friday, April 03, 2015 - 10:45 am:

Looks like the linkage to some friction shocks to me John.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bill Harper - Keene, NH on Friday, April 03, 2015 - 11:08 am:

First, not my car.

Second, yes Seth, the car has Hartford shocks. Sadly, I got interrupted in photographing this car and have no more pictures of the suspension.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Nathan Bright from Central NC on Friday, April 03, 2015 - 02:03 pm:

I need horns that come out to the front of my tires since im using them as a bumper of sorts.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Nathan Bright from Central NC on Friday, April 03, 2015 - 02:13 pm:

Seth, the car will have a starter and crank. I have cranked cars with this setup before (Larry's 12 Caddy)and its not to bad.

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration