OT Completely - Medical Technology

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2015: OT Completely - Medical Technology
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Henry Petrino in Modesto, CA on Saturday, March 28, 2015 - 05:39 pm:

Several weeks ago I was diagnosed with an inguinal canal hernia on the left side. Tuesday I had repair surgery for it. I found interesting the method of incision closure.

In my discharge instructions, "The wound will be closed with dissolvable sutures and sealed with DERMABOND (skin glue). So, no stitches to remove. No dressing to change. It just dissolves in a week or 10 days. Every time I get something done it's more and more like watching Bones (Dr. McCoy) on Star Trek.

P.S. For those of you who may wonder, this surgery was not done robotically because I had a robotic radical prostatectomy nearly 3 years ago. Too much scar tissue in the way.

P.P.S. Why is it that pretty much everything that goes wrong at this age must be in your privates?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Fred Dimock, Newfields NH, USA on Saturday, March 28, 2015 - 07:12 pm:

In a few years you won't even have to go to the doctors or hospital for an operation.
They will send a robot to your home and do it while you are having breakfast.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dave Dufault on Saturday, March 28, 2015 - 07:27 pm:

Seems to me the older I get, the less private the once private parts are.
(

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bill dugger on Saturday, March 28, 2015 - 07:47 pm:

Henry: I had the same thing done a few years ago and they put in a bit of mesh cloth or something like it. At the same time they removed the appendix and the Doctor told me that if in the lower right quadrant I have any pain it will not be the appendix as (his words, you don't have one) and
some years later I have to go thru an angiagram(spelling) and then the next day a 4 way bypass. The 4 way was june 12 2013, and I am as good as can be expected considering me. Both time I think they must have used glue as I do not have any stitching marks, and the Hospital stay is/was about $325,000 give or take a few thousands.
JMHO and I am sticking to it.
bill d

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Henry Petrino in Modesto, CA on Saturday, March 28, 2015 - 09:33 pm:

Bill,

He used mesh on me too. At my pre-op consultation he was explaining the procedure and describing the mesh he planned to use. He said, "Wait a minute. I'll get one and you can see it." As he got up and headed for the door, I said, "I'm sure it's fine. Just don't use any of that transvaginal mesh I've heard about on TV!" He stopped dead in his tracks, looked at me and busted out laughing.

Gotta keep your sense of humor!!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By kep on Sunday, March 29, 2015 - 12:00 am:

Nearly half a million dollars (in my currency) for a stay in hospital?. Hospitals should be empty at that rate.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Karl Gilchrist- New Zealand on Sunday, March 29, 2015 - 12:12 am:

Kep I knew when I was studying at Auckland Med school I should have sat the extra two exams needed to allow me to practice in the States.At those rates I'd have my 1934 V8 as well as a stable of A's and T's

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Terry Woods, Richmond, Texas on Sunday, March 29, 2015 - 12:41 am:

Doesn't NZ have socialized medicine like the UK and other Commonwealth nations?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Sunday, March 29, 2015 - 05:11 am:

The USA has socialized medicine too. It's called the Veterans' Administration.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mack Cole ---- Earth on Sunday, March 29, 2015 - 09:45 am:

Henry,my dad had his second surgery like that in November and best I can tell he followed the doc's directions this go round. But still has pain and trouble in that area. So follow the doc's directions to a T as far lifting and such.
At 81 my dad is getting aggravated now because he loves to mess in the garden and he says that groin pain makes it difficult. His problems in that area make it hard to run the tiller and bend over to plant. Hence the reason I used some of my settlement to buy a tractor and tractor mounted rear tiller,so both our gardens would be easier to work.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dave Hjortnaes, Men Falls, WI on Sunday, March 29, 2015 - 10:48 am:

And socialized medicine for Seniors - it is called Medicare.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Henry Petrino in Modesto, CA on Sunday, March 29, 2015 - 11:14 am:

We do have socialized medicine in the USA for some. For many of us who have traditional insurance as well as for those on Medicare the numbers we see don't really mean anything.

For example, 3 years ago when I had my prostatectomy the hospital bill was approximately $65,000. I paid a $100 "co-pay". My employer provided insurance paid approximately $2,800. The hospital entered an "adjustment" of approximately $62,100, which resulted in a 0 remaining balance.

Last year my dad spent some time in the hospital. Financially it was almost an exact duplicate of my example above, the only significant difference being his insurance was Medicare.

So, as far as I'm concerned the big numbers that get tossed around are bogus. In fact, I believe them to be part is a system, deliberate or not, that scares the hell out of us with bogus data then screws us with insurance rates based on the bogus crap.

I must be feeling better......

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bill dugger on Sunday, March 29, 2015 - 12:08 pm:

Henry: I have to tell that when I had my 4 way I was asked it I wanted to go thru the exercise program following the surgery, so I went thru it for the 36 sessions. It cost Medicare $333.++ per month, that is on MON-WED-fri. When I finished the 36 sessions I decided to continue and the cost now for the sessions is only $26.25, and the only difference is that I do not have be monitored while
I am on either the treadmill of the bike. I weigh in and take my blood pressure before exercise and after I am done. I know the two nurses have to be paid but---------oh and the equipment have to be maintained.
JMHOpinion

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bill dugger on Sunday, March 29, 2015 - 12:10 pm:

Oh I forgot to say they do not serve cake and coffee or cold drinks, however on my birthday they did have a cake!

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration