**Holley G Carburetor Assembly**

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2015: **Holley G Carburetor Assembly**
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Martin Vowell, Sylmar, CA on Saturday, March 28, 2015 - 10:09 pm:

I've been going round and round on this assembly, because there are some parts I know are part of this assembly, but I can't for the life of me figure out where they go.

I'm also not sure if the choke and throttle plates are held to their shafts with the standard staple looking fastener or if they used screws, nothing I've got shows these.

I think I've got the jest of it, but like I said there are a few things I can't quite figure out where they go. And then I might also have some things in the wrong places too. Like the Venturi (6061)...there is a depression in the bottom of the well on top of the carburetor where the adjustment needle runs through. I figured that's where the venturi must go...but I'm not sure. I drew it there, but if this isn't correct, please let me know.

This is one of Stan Howe's pictures that I grabbed, because it shows the top cover off, but it also show a little tube with a 90 bend and a flared end with a really small nut...I don't have any idea where this tube goes. Now there is a small tube sort of like this one that goes on the bottom of the "2 screw" Holley top cover, but from the pictures I've seen of the cover of the "3 screw" cover, there is no place for such a small tube to go or attach to.
Then there's that other part in the picture too, the brass piece to the left of the small tube with the hole in it...I have no idea what that is nor where it goes either.
Also the gasket set for the "G" include a felt seal, I thought it might be for the fuel line but the hole is really small and none of the other carburetor gasket sets have one for the fuel line, then it might just be that this seal is for something totally different, what? I don't know, please let me know guys.

I don't own a Holley, so I really don't know what's inside one other than most of Stan's and other peoples pictures I've grabbed.

If any of you guys know where any of these parts I've described go I'd appreciate you letting me know. Also if there is something I've left out that you know is in the "G", please let me know about that too.

I want to explain how I do these, carburetors for instance. I start with pictures I've seen here on the forum and go as far as I can with what the pictures are showing. Which is usually covers, screws, throttle arm, choke arm, bowl, drain cock and sometimes other adjustment screws and or plugs. Then I wait until somebody posts new pictures of something I hadn't seen before on any one of the carburetors I've got starts on and draw in whatever parts are shown in them. When I've got enough (or all of it) I post them here hoping that any of you can help me with anything I might have left out or did wrong so I can complete it.
So any help you can give me is greatly appreciated. :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By George n Los Angeles CA on Saturday, March 28, 2015 - 10:56 pm:

You may have to look at old or rebuilds at Bakersfield. Bring your camera and name tag.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Eric Magyor-Northwestern, Pa. on Sunday, March 29, 2015 - 02:33 am:

I'm no expert but, maybe this will help. There is a hollow screw that the idling fuel pickup tube nut screws onto and can be a real bugger to remove. Its not shown in the picture. This carb. has since been rebuilt.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Eric Magyor-Northwestern, Pa. on Sunday, March 29, 2015 - 02:37 am:

Another photo.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Martin Vowell, Sylmar, CA on Sunday, March 29, 2015 - 03:12 am:

Eric, thank you very much, you don't know how much these two pictures help (or maybe you do). They not only show the small tube I was asking about but also the retainer for the venturi that I figured had to be held with something and I've seen in the 2 screw Holley (which I took for some sort of spring), but also shows that brass piece with the hole in it that I was wondering about it's the seat for the adjustment needle, wow, 3 three parts accounted for and one I didn't know about, oh goodie, I'll add them immediately.
Do you know if that felt seal used with this
small tube somehow? Maybe sandwiched between the hollow idling screw and nut? Looks small enough.

George, you bet-cha, I'm bringing my camera, I've got lots more unfinished assemblies started. There's a whole bunch of stuff I'm looking to find out about and not just carburetors either (body tin (both open and closed cars), wood frames (open and closed cars), seat boxes, sedan, coupe, touring and runabout doors and the wood inside them, turtle backs, frame differences, windshields (open and closed cars) and tops. Some assemblies I haven't even started yet, but these are the ones I've got open files on now. :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bill Harper - Keene, NH on Sunday, March 29, 2015 - 04:06 am:

Hi Martin,

The felt shown IS for the fuel line pack nut.
The throttle and choke plates are retained with the staple.

The strangling tube has a flair and does not use any gasket or seal.

Note the slotted hex head machine screws on the throttle arm.

The venturi and its retaining spring.

I hope that these help. I envy your computer skills. Good luck with your project. Bill

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Martin Vowell, Sylmar, CA on Sunday, March 29, 2015 - 05:52 am:

Ok, did some rearranging and inserted those parts...but I still can't figure out what that small nut attaches to. Does the hollow screw have some sort of nipple that the small nut mounts to? Still need some input.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Martin Vowell, Sylmar, CA on Sunday, March 29, 2015 - 05:57 am:

Bill, that nipple screws in after you slip the venturi in right? Do you know where that felt packing seal goes? I'll make the change with that nipple added immediately, thanks.:-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Martin Vowell, Sylmar, CA on Sunday, March 29, 2015 - 06:23 am:

Changed the heads on those screws and added the nipple...

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Martin Vowell, Sylmar, CA on Sunday, March 29, 2015 - 06:32 pm:

Sorry Bill, you already answered that question about the packing felt...for some reason it didn't register what you were saying, I was just so fascinated with the pictures you posted I guess.

Soooo is the elbow that screws into the fuel inlet really part of this carburetor? So much so that the vendors provide a felt packing seal for it? Maybe I should add it to this assembly as well then. :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Eric Magyor-Northwestern, Pa. on Sunday, March 29, 2015 - 07:48 pm:

Martin,

Looking great! Beautiful work. The later Holley G carburetors had two arms on the choke lever when the car was starter equipped. The choke could be used inside or outside the car that way.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Martin Vowell, Sylmar, CA on Monday, March 30, 2015 - 05:28 pm:

Eric, you know I wondered about where the choke bail hooked to the choke butterfly with such a chunky looking lever. So the lever I've got drawn is from the early version, like the transition between the 2 screw which also doesn't have choke bail provision either, it's even on top of the body and not on the side at all. Also on the later models the drain cock has a round body then? I know from what I've seen in Stan's pictures the drain body was hex, so that might be an early version too. On you drain is it soldered in or threaded to the bowl or is there a nut inside like on the Kingston's?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Martin Vowell, Sylmar, CA on Monday, March 30, 2015 - 06:01 pm:

Eric, I'm debating if it's worth another drawing to show the differences or just adding the different parts on this drawing and let folks figure out which they have.

The problem with being definitive is that sometimes there are cross overs between assemblies, which makes showing one thing or the other as the definite assembly impossible and or useless. That's why on all the front axle drawings I've done so far I just add a new drawing when something comes up that was added to or left off any particular year. I put an approx. year date on the title and let the viewer figure which one he/she has. Because Fords didn't always come off the line with everything you think a particular year is supposed to have, they made changes on the line all the bloody time to hopefully something that was better and if it proved not to be better, they switched right back or made another change...following the list of changes in a production year is an adventure in itself and some of them leave you asking "what the bloody hell were you guys thinking?" All in all, I have to say, this is the most fun I've had with any project in all the years I've been a technical illustrator. And what's better, there's still so much more to do....fun never quits!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ron Patterson-Nicholasville, Kentucky on Monday, March 30, 2015 - 06:12 pm:

Martin
There are two choke pull arms for the Holly G carburetor. One (early) for non starter cars and another (later) for starter equipped cars.
I will post a photo later.
Ron the Coilman

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Eric Magyor-Northwestern, Pa. on Monday, March 30, 2015 - 06:37 pm:

Martin,
The drain cock is soldered on my carburetor. Of the later Holley G carburetors I've seen, those had the round drain body.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dennis Seth - Ohio on Monday, March 30, 2015 - 06:49 pm:

Thank you Martin for all the drawings you do for the Model T parts they are fantastic and I hope you will some day put them all in one book and put them up for sale.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Martin Vowell, Sylmar, CA on Tuesday, March 31, 2015 - 03:43 am:

Here's my revised drawing...

As always, if there is something I've missed or left out, please let me know, thanks for all your help guys.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Martin Vowell, Sylmar, CA on Wednesday, April 01, 2015 - 02:20 am:

Stan Howe brought something to my attention about the venturi being too small, looking at pictures supplied by Steve Jelf, I could see exactly what he meant.

To do justice to the G and all it's variations I'm going to redrawing this and divide it into 2 different drawings. One for the early years (15-18) and one for the cast iron series (19-21). The dates are approx. and I'll get them more on target as I research the G more.

Also working on the one that came before the G the 1913 Holley 2 screw and from there I guess I'll get into the Holley NH and it's (3 different) variations...fun never quits! :-)

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration