Late '23 Coupe Hood Questions

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2015: Late '23 Coupe Hood Questions
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ronald L Babb - Tacoma, WA on Saturday, March 28, 2015 - 10:46 pm:

I worked on my car today and had a few questions about the hood. One is there are 2 holes in the front top of the hood, one on each side. Is something missing or ??
Top of Hood

The second: 2 of the hold down holes have pulled through, one on each side. I would guess others have had this and know of a good way to fix it?

And the last, how far down should the hood go to latch? Mine seems to be high when all the way closed and it is a major effort to get the hood locks turned and in place. I am sure this is why there are 2 torn out hold downs.

Thanks for any help and insight.

Ron

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jack Daron - Brownsburg IN on Saturday, March 28, 2015 - 10:56 pm:

Go to any lumber yard and get 4 large landscape/bridge nails. You may cut the heads off or elect to leave them on. These nails can be driven in the rolled edge of your hood and are a good fix for the worn holes you have.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Gregush Portland Oregon on Saturday, March 28, 2015 - 11:43 pm:

Jack great idea!
Re the holes in the hood, no they should not be there. Someone may have added bumpers of some sort under the hood.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Allan Bennett - Australia on Sunday, March 29, 2015 - 07:54 am:

Mark, Jack has the right idea, but a nail long enough to reach the worn section is likely to be too thick. I think I used 3/16" rod on mine. If you repaint the hood later on, you can add some brazing over the rod at the wear spot.

The shelf panels can be raised a little using thicker wooden blocks than standard. I have given up using original and repro hood latch springs. They are far stronger than is needed, and that tension is made worse when you have to pull them up as far as yours need to be. I use lighter springs from the local parts house selection.

Hope this helps.

allan from down under.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ronald L Babb - Tacoma, WA on Friday, April 03, 2015 - 08:19 pm:

Thanks! I bought an extra long 3/16th drill bit and cleaned out the rolled edge from the end to just past the torn out section, polished and oiled a 3/16th rod and tapped it in place. After a little paint it looks/works fine. Now to replace those too strong springs with weaker ones.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jack Daron - Brownsburg IN on Friday, April 03, 2015 - 08:25 pm:

I believe Fun Projects make the correct springs.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dave Wells, Hamilton Ontario on Friday, April 03, 2015 - 08:33 pm:

I put the new springs on mine and also found them to be ridiculously strong yet somehow they broke in nicely after a short time and are now just right.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ronald L Babb - Tacoma, WA on Saturday, April 04, 2015 - 01:12 am:

Thanks for the tip. I ordered a set if springs from Fun Projects.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Roger Karlsson, southern Sweden on Saturday, April 04, 2015 - 06:42 am:

I had to shorten the springs somewhat on one side to make it possible to latch - and yes, the gap between the hood and the shelf is larger on that side. Not too obvious though.

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration