DUOLAMP Replacement Lens

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2015: DUOLAMP Replacement Lens
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By James A. Golden on Sunday, March 29, 2015 - 07:53 am:

A friend has a stainless replacement DUOLAMP, evidently actually made for the Model A Ford. While several dealers sell this light, none appear to offer a replacement ALL RED lens. Does anyone know a source for the replacement all red lens?

Two lens were bought at Hershey last fall that appeared to be correct, but they are about 1/16th inch too large. They have STOP molded in, with the correct script and TIGER - EY is also molded in at the top. They do fit the accessory Model T tail light, but the tail light oval section is elongated and not the same. Does anyone know what they are designed to fit?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Kevin Whelihan Danbury, WI on Sunday, March 29, 2015 - 08:21 am:

Is this what you are looking for? If so check out www.brattons.com Item #19590

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By James A. Golden on Sunday, March 29, 2015 - 12:06 pm:

Thanks Kevin, they are only 45 miles from me too.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John Aldrich Orting Wa on Sunday, March 29, 2015 - 12:09 pm:

Here's your red lens for sale.

http://www.mikes-afordable.com/product/A13450AR.html

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Gregush Portland Oregon on Monday, March 30, 2015 - 07:10 pm:

John the lens you show the link to is for the Tuna can lamp. The stainless replacement DUOLAMP would be the tea cup style which is a little larger in diameter.
http://www.brattons.com/product.asp?P_ID=1763&strPageHistory=search&strKeywords= lens&numPageStartPosition=1&strSearchCriteria=any&PT_ID=all

For 1930/31 Ford went to the amber over red lens.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Kevin Whelihan Danbury, WI on Monday, March 30, 2015 - 08:08 pm:

James, Here's a pic of the Brattons drum tails on my '26 Touring. From what I could find of the original Ford/Duolight tails/stops, they were black with nickel rims. Since the ones Bratton offers are nickel plated all did was mask off the rims and paint them black. I also talked to them about special ordering their LED tail/stop light set up with a negative ground. Worth the money...very bright. Good luck!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By James A. Golden on Monday, March 30, 2015 - 08:15 pm:

Hi Kevin, I had that drum tail light on my Model T for several years before I got the accessory tail light which is only slightly larger. The bolt holes fit the Model T light holder with no drilling.

Bratton's call the DUOLAMP a TEACUP tail light, due to its shape. I called them this morning and all the parts were in stock and shipped today by UPS. They told me I would have them tomorrow.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Dewey, N. California on Monday, March 30, 2015 - 10:10 pm:

The Model A car tail lamp was Stainless steel for 1930-1931. The late 28-29 teacup tail limp was brass nickel plated. The Truck tail lamp was black painted steel, with a nickeled or stainless rim.
Snyder's catalog just came today and shows some LED lenses that appear to be all red.
The "Tuna can" tail light would be the most appropriate for a T, but the teacup one works too.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By George_Cherry Hill NJ on Tuesday, March 31, 2015 - 12:05 am:

here's some other duo lite example

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By James A. Golden on Tuesday, March 31, 2015 - 06:32 pm:

George, that STOP bulb is evidently what broke the red lens. It sticks out about 1/8th inch too far.

I called Bratton's at 11:30 yesterday and I had all the requested parts delivered at 9:30 today.

Now my only problem is the light cannot be assembled with a STOP light bulb installed.

There must be another brighter 6 volt bulb with a smaller globe that I don't know about yet.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By George_Cherry Hill NJ on Tuesday, March 31, 2015 - 09:09 pm:

Jim,

You are correct...you can feel the lamp against the glass as you mount the bezel...there is room to double gasket for a little bit of relief...but I think it was meant for the 63 lamp and with the thick glass it takes a lot of lumens to make it to the outside so a 63 is almost worthless.

What these need to not worry about lamp/lens interference is a lamp with an S8 or a G8 standard for the glass 'size'(What is shown here are S12)...

I believe bulb number 1489 will fit with room to spare and have sufficient lumens/candlepower...but I have never been able to find the 1489 anywhere. the glass shape is a little weird, rather than globe or spherical or even the mushed parabola...the 1489 looks like R2D2 from Star-Wars...but it does have a shorter glass!

The other possibility that I have thought of but not taken further is to re-engineer the top socket to be a BA-9 socket. More lamps to maybe pick from with less chance of any interference at all.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By James A. Golden on Wednesday, April 01, 2015 - 07:49 am:

George, I did an Internet Search for a 1489 Light Bulb and found them available from many sources, but they are not cheap.

The size is only 1/8th inch less than the current bulb that doesn't work, but it might be just enough.

This website offers free shipping though.

http://www.bulbtown.com/1489_MINIATURE_BULB_BA15S_BASE_p/1489.htm

Description Technical Specs Extended Information

#1489 MINIATURE BULB BA15S BASE - 6.5 Volt 2.75 Amp T5 Single Contact Bayonet (BA15s) Base Lamp, C-6U Filament Design, 300 Lumens 24 MSCP. 1.75" Maximum Overall Length, 125 Average Rated Hours.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Gregush Portland Oregon on Wednesday, April 01, 2015 - 11:27 am:

James;
Before you order them let me look on our shelf and see if there is a bulb that will work. Seems to me the standard non staggered pin brake light bulb should work. If you have a staggered pin bulb socket that may be the problem. I will post my findings when I get home this PM.
MarkG

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Gregush Portland Oregon on Wednesday, April 01, 2015 - 07:50 pm:

James;
I looked at the bulbs we have in stock for this lamp. They are 1129's. That is the current replacement. What could be happening is the socket has been pushed in from the rear too far. You could try taking a piece of wood and tapping it back some they are just a press fit.
MarkG

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By James A. Golden on Thursday, April 02, 2015 - 09:22 pm:

Hi Marc, the 1129 spec for overall length is 1.04 inch.

The spec for the bulbs I got is 1.75 inch.

They will work in the original 1926 Hall brake light, so they are still good.

Thanks for the lead, as the 1129 is plentiful yet.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By James A. Golden on Thursday, April 09, 2015 - 07:52 am:

Marc, Those new BRAND X BULBS, made in Taiwan, that I bought on E-bay from Minnesota are 1.75 inches overall and not the 1.04 inches specified for 1129 bulbs.

They are not useable either.

Note the specification overall length.

#1129 Miniature Bulb Ba15s Base - 6.4 Volt 2.63 Amp 16.832 Watt S8 Single Contact Bayonet (Ba15S) Base, 21 MSCP C-6 Filament Design. 200 Average Rated Hours. 2.0" (50.8mm) Maximum Overall Length, 1.04" (26.5mm) Maximum Outer Diameter. 1.12" (28.50mm) Light Center Length (L.C.L.).

I'm going to call Brattons later and see if they have the proper length bulbs.

The bulb socket notches are just even with the inside case wall now.

I may have to shorten the pins to move the socket back anymore and that might also allow more moisture to enter the case.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Gregush Portland Oregon on Thursday, April 09, 2015 - 10:31 am:

Look also at the tabs that the bezel screws go through, could they be bent back? off the cuff, maybe add a 2ed gasket between the lamp body and lens.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By James A. Golden on Thursday, April 09, 2015 - 12:09 pm:

Marc, that 1129 bulb length is not within specifications at all.

When I put the bulb in the socket and place the glass lens on top, there is a 1/8th inch space between the glass and the light case. That will take a lot of gaskets.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Eric Sole - Castelldefels (Spain) on Thursday, April 09, 2015 - 02:06 pm:

Local law requires two taillights in order to drive at night. I had put an old style steel truck clearance marker light on the right rear as a taillight and a period stoplight on the spare tire carrier.

In preparation for the repainting of my 27 Runabout I bought a couple new taillights from a French vendor this winter. They will have to do until I can find/afford a couple original Model T drum style taillights. These generic replacements are similar in shape to a 29-31 Model A. The light bulbs are tubular instead of bayonet so there is no clearance problem. They are set up for turn signals too but I opted for the STOP on the lens and will use exterior ambar clearance type lights for the turn signals. The stop light bulb is 18W and the tail light bulb is 10W.

(Message edited by esole on April 09, 2015)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bill Harper - Keene, NH on Thursday, April 09, 2015 - 02:53 pm:

Hmmmm

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By James A. Golden on Thursday, April 09, 2015 - 04:34 pm:

A good friend just informed me that I do not read very well.

Perhaps because I only went to night school, I do not read very well in the daytime.

Well, now I must tell Taiwan I'm sorry, because the length value is before the text and is 2 inches.

The bulb diameter is 1.04 inches.

On the plus side, the bulbs will work in the accessory 1926 tail light and I have 3 of those lights here.

Besides all that, the bulbs were quite reasonably priced.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Eric Sole - Castelldefels (Spain) on Friday, April 10, 2015 - 08:27 am:

Kevin, the Model A drum tail lights look good on your '26 Touring. They appear to be mounted on the Model T brackets.

Could you post some pictures showing the setup?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Kevin Whelihan Danbury, WI on Friday, April 10, 2015 - 09:29 am:

Eric, I'll waddle up to the garage and take some pics to post this AM if you'd like.

KW

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Kevin Whelihan Danbury, WI on Friday, April 10, 2015 - 10:55 am:

Eric,

Here's some pics of what I have. The left and right light brackets came from Lang's, I believe. The drum lights and LED inserts come from Bratton's. The 28-29 Model A truck drum light is darn near identical to the 26-27 Ford and Duolight tails. It is in nickel, so I just masked off the rim and shot it with black paint. I do have tails and brake lights. I could hook up signals, but figured the stop lights on both sides would be enough to alert other drivers ( I hope ). The LED tails draw .2 amps w/90CP, stops draw .5 amps w/180CP. Very easy on my generator even with the 25 watt halogen headlights running. You have to special order the 6 volt NEGATIVE ground LED set up through Brattons, but they only cost $10/ea light additional.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Eric Sole - Castelldefels (Spain) on Friday, April 10, 2015 - 11:20 am:

Thanks Kevin.

Looks like they just bolt right up to the T brackets and appear much closer in style to the original accessory T lights than the teacup style I just bought.

I'm tempted to sell the new lights and buy the repo Model A drum lights. There just aren't that many swap meets here so when I saw my new glass lenses with the STOP molded into them I fell into a sort of tail light anxiety. ;p

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By James A. Golden on Sunday, April 12, 2015 - 05:34 pm:

I finally found a bulb in my used bulb pile that was 1.88 inches over all length and produced a nice bright light with 6 volts applied.

Unfortunately, it has no number on it.

Fortunately, it let me reassemble the light, after I moved the socked deeper by about 1/16th inch.

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration