Bendix

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2015: Bendix
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By William B. Rady on Sunday, March 29, 2015 - 05:54 pm:

Hi

I have a 27 T Touring. Recently I have been having a bit of trouble with the starter. Every once in a while, the bendix will not engage when the starter spins. When it does engage and the motor starts, it returns to its normal position.

Any suggestions?

Bill

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jack Daron - Brownsburg IN on Sunday, March 29, 2015 - 06:07 pm:

I predict you will be changing a ring gear in your future.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dan Treace, North FL on Sunday, March 29, 2015 - 06:25 pm:

Or the Bendix. Could be loose bolts on the spring, or bent spring, or gear of the Bendix or the drive collar or the follower pin, all can contribute to sticking Bendix.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ron in Central Massachusetts on Sunday, March 29, 2015 - 06:40 pm:

Before you go changing ring gears, I'd pull the starter - clean the shaft, Bendix assembly - everything. Check for anything that would impede the travel of the Bendix - burrs, etc. While you have the starter out, have someone turn the engine over by hand, while you use a flashlight to look at the ring gear for teeth issues. If there are no burrs and no obvious issues with the ring gear, try a new Bendix spring.

You make it sound as though this was a sudden development, so I'm thinking something is up with Bendix.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Frank van Ekeren (Australia) on Sunday, March 29, 2015 - 06:59 pm:

Just a reminder to remove the bendix before you remove the starter, or you will damage the magneto trying.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By William B. Rady on Sunday, March 29, 2015 - 10:14 pm:

Thank you for all the advice.

Ron, yes this is a sudden development. I have owned this car for over 40 years and have never had an issue with the starter. I think I will remove the starter, once things warm up here in Upstate New York and clean and inspect all the parts.

Bill

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jon Allen on Monday, March 30, 2015 - 10:19 am:

My suggestion for what it's worth is to get one of these:

http://www.snydersantiqueauto.com/4728

It is complete Bendix drive unit of excellent quality. I have been running one for about 2 years now with no trouble.

After getting your old Bendix off, turn the engine over and check the ring gear for damage.
You may need a new ring gear.

Regards,
Jon

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration