Moto-Meter Questions / Issues / Rebuild

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2015: Moto-Meter Questions / Issues / Rebuild
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Frank Canino on Sunday, March 29, 2015 - 05:54 pm:

I apologize in advance for the lengthy read but I was trying to paint a picture so that it was easy to understand what I had, and what I need....

So I found a disassembled Boyce Moto-Meter for $5 that someone had taken apart and painted red, and then put in a zip lock baggie. I thought I'd try to remove the paint, reassemble it and maybe put it on a project someday........
It appears that all the parts are there minus the gaskets for the glass.

What I found;
As I started inspecting it I discovered the following issues (aside from it being in a bunch of pieces)
1. The whole visible part of the thermometer was showing red (all the way to the top)so I wasn't sure if it was fixable or if it were totally broken.
2. The stem of the meter that protrudes down into the neck of the radiator was smashed slightly to an egg shape preventing the nut from being able to be put back on the stem.

What I've done so far;
3. I put the stem in a vice and gently squeezed it back to mostly round. When I did that there was a little metal "cap or seal" on the end of the stem that popped off.

4. I then pushed the thermometer down and out of the now open bottom of the stem, which in turn pushed out some type of sealant/putty/filler/?????/unknown material.

5. There was an area void of "red stuff" in the lower portion of the glass between the top and the bulb. I was able to shake the thermometer as you would a medical thermometer and got all the "red stuff" back into the bulb. I tested it in cold and hot water and it appears to be operating correctly now.

Now for my questions, finally... and thanks for sticking with me long enough to still be reading...

1. What is the sealant/putty/filler/?????/unknown material that is inside the stem? I assume it's a multi-function material that will keep the thermometer from rattling around in the stem, acts a seal to prevent the steam from getting up inside the meter and clouding the glass, and is a temperature conductor.

2. How do I re-attach the metal cap/seal on the bottom so it doesn't fall off inside my radiator? It didn't appear to be tacked or soldered on.

At the end of the day, I only have $5 and 10 minutes of time invested in it so far. If its fixable great, if it's not, on to the next project.

Thanks to Google, I now know that the "red stuff" inside the thermometer is alcohol dyed red.

Thanks, Frank

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By keith g barrier Savannah Tn. on Monday, March 30, 2015 - 08:15 am:

Frank, I use premixed tile grout and it works fine. a little j&b weld (the original) to seal the plug back in. Be careful with the thermometer as replacements are not being made as far as I know. KGB

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration