How about an easy way to do

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2015: How about an easy way to do
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John Leffler on Sunday, March 29, 2015 - 06:19 pm:

I had to remove the rear spring assembly to replace the tie bolt.Deses anybody have an easy way to reinstall the spring back into the peaches and get the shackle bolts back in again?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Royce in Georgetown TX on Sunday, March 29, 2015 - 06:23 pm:

Place a piece of scrap 2X4 under the spring, as Ford says in the book.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dale Peterson College Place, WA on Sunday, March 29, 2015 - 06:30 pm:

Then weight down the back of the car until the shackles line up with the spring holes. That is same thing the wife can help with and not get greasy, just have a seat.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Sunday, March 29, 2015 - 09:31 pm:

You can remove the rear wheels, loosen the perches so the shackles will both reach the spring (but leave the nuts on), install the spring, and retighten the perch nuts. Done, easy as pie.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dave Wells, Hamilton Ontario on Sunday, March 29, 2015 - 09:41 pm:

I agree with Dale. Your wife is your best friend during this job. I couldn't imagine doing it without her.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Les Schubert on Sunday, March 29, 2015 - 09:44 pm:

I use Jeff's method. Makes it into a reasonably easy one man job

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Pat Kelly Montana on Monday, March 30, 2015 - 12:30 am:

I just put my rear axle in and did it a little different. I put one side in first then set the axle on a jack stand. I put a floor jack under the spring eye and jacked the spring up to the perch until the shackle went in. The round disc of the jack reaches over the top of the axle and catches the spring real good. PK

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John Semprez-Templeton, CA on Monday, March 30, 2015 - 10:34 am:

I have always used Steve's method. My late Dad taught me this trick years ago. It makes the job ridiculously easy... and safe. No clamps, stretcher or blocks, and one person can do the job.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jerry VanOoteghem - SE Michigan on Monday, March 30, 2015 - 10:39 am:

I've never had to weigh down the car using Royce's, (and Ford's), method. The weight of the car itself has always been enough.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Larry Smith on Monday, March 30, 2015 - 11:03 am:

In addition, you can loosen the perches some, and that will allow them to come in closer to the spring, not only that it will align the perch to the spring.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jim Thode Chehalis Washington on Monday, March 30, 2015 - 11:33 am:

The other option is to use the correct tool for the job. No added weight needed, no need to remove the wheels.

A spring spreader:

http://www.mtfca.com/discus/messages/179374/207230.html?1303783898

Jim

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John Aldrich Orting Wa on Monday, March 30, 2015 - 11:47 am:

I recently used a spring spreader to re-install the rear spring on my Model A which is much stronger than a T spring. It went rather easily and took very little time.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John Semprez-Templeton, CA on Tuesday, March 31, 2015 - 12:58 pm:

But Jim, Your picture shows the wheels off! So really there was no need to use the "correct tool" here.

By loosening the perches, there would be no need to mess with the spring at all, and alignment of the shackles is a slam dunk.

I guess there is more than one way to safely attach the rear end to the springs, especially if you don't have a correct tool. :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bud Holzschuh - Panama City, FL on Tuesday, March 31, 2015 - 09:24 pm:

Ditto what John said. Easy peasy. ;o)

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration