1916 Runabout

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2015: 1916 Runabout
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ed in California on Sunday, March 29, 2015 - 07:39 pm:

Looks like a decent one.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Brass-1916-Model-T-Ford-Roadster-/371293930525?hash=item 5672d7c41d&vxp=mtr

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dave Wells, Hamilton Ontario on Sunday, March 29, 2015 - 07:54 pm:

That is nice and so correct looking. It's always great to see a '16 that hasn't had the lights brassed up to look like a '15, they truly look good like that too. One question though. Where is the top?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Derek Kiefer - Mantorville, MN on Sunday, March 29, 2015 - 08:06 pm:

I looked at it a few weeks ago when Clayton had it listed. It's a pretty decent older restoration.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Allan Bennett - Australia on Sunday, March 29, 2015 - 08:30 pm:

It has a full set of new Australian made Olympic tyres, unless they are the later Lucas variety. They have to be over 40 years old, but will outlast several sets of currently available rubbish.

It looks a really nice car. Unique horn mounting though.

Allan from down under.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dave Hjortnaes, Men Falls, WI on Sunday, March 29, 2015 - 08:40 pm:

That is where the magneto horn is mounted on my 1920. Right to the firewall.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Hap Tucker in Sumter SC on Sunday, March 29, 2015 - 08:41 pm:

Dave,

In the description he says "irons for top are included."

The serial number of the engine would have been recorded on the Jan 10, 1916 engine log records (ref Bruce McCalley (R.I.P.), "Model T Ford" page 512). The engine could have been assembled that day if it was assembled at the Highland Park plant. Or it could have been several days or even weeks later if the engine was assembled at a branch plant. And of course the car would have been assembled after the engine and if at Highland Park, possibly the same day and if at one of the branch plants days or even weeks later depending on when the engine was assembled.

I noticed the arm rest appear to be the later style commonly used on the 1917 to 1921ish wide arm rest tourings and to 1922ish on the runabouts. I.e. it looks like you could easily place a metal end cap on the front seat arm. But Bruce has a photo on page 229 of a brass radiator 1916 with the comment, "This car is no doubt a late 1916; close examination of the original shows the front arm rest has the metal cap instead of the leather roll. This change is typical of the 1917 and later cars and is unusual for 1916's.

It would be a great fun car as is. If someone is looking to have a very authentic 1916 -- I would recommend reviewing the thread at: http://www.mtfca.com/discus/messages/29/13259.html and reviewing the on line encyclopedia to determine what items are correct for the 1916 time frame and which ones may be earlier or alter than the 1916 time frame. A discussion about the car with the seller would be needed. Does it have any known history? What type of door latch does the car have? Is there a body number and letter and if so what are they? I looked for a 1/2 moon over the coil box, and I did not see one which is a good sign. But the lighting was not the best so it is worth asking about. The left windshield bracket is the rivet style 1915 - mid 1917. The horn button does not look like the ones I am accustomed to seeing. I could not see the push pull light switch but a better photo might show that. I believe the switch on the coil box is the later metal cover style rather than the hard rubber style switch used in 1915-early 1917. I cannot tell what year rear axle it has -- I cannot see the location of the drain plug. I cannot really tell if it has taper leaf or clip leaf springs front and back etc. I would desire a taper leaf in the rear and depending on when the car was assembled a taper leaf or a clip leaf spring could have been used on the front (as well as a pointy spring see: http://www.mtfca.com/discus/messages/29/43281.html?1198287177 ).

But again a great looking car that could provide years of fun. And asking a few additional questions could verify if it had a known history and/or if some of the parts are from other years (which is not uncommon).

Respectfully submitted,

Hap l9l5 cut off

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Allan Bennett - Australia on Monday, March 30, 2015 - 03:46 am:

Dave, the magneto horn does indeed mount right on the firewall. However, that one looks like it is spaced out forward of the firewall.

Allan from down under.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Alan Wandesforde on Monday, March 30, 2015 - 04:47 pm:

Where on ebay?
The link, item number search, or any Model T search couldn't find it.
I'd be interested to see it???

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Gary H. White - Sheridan, MI on Monday, March 30, 2015 - 05:38 pm:

Link didn't work for me either. Must have expired.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mike Walker, NW AR on Monday, March 30, 2015 - 07:36 pm:

The above link took me to the listing yesterday, but not today.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ed in California on Monday, March 30, 2015 - 08:11 pm:

Thats strange, no evidence that it was even listed. The owner is often on here, so maybe he can enlighten us as to the sale status.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mike Walker, NW AR on Monday, March 30, 2015 - 08:17 pm:

It's back:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Ford-Model-T-Base-/371294690253?forcerrptr=true&hash=ite m5672e35bcd&item=371294690253

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Frank van Ekeren (Australia) on Monday, March 30, 2015 - 08:37 pm:

A few things not right as Hap has picked up on, some more, it looks like a 2 wire tube on steering? later diff housing, also looks like later front hubs as well.

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration