NRS Roadster-Photo

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2015: NRS Roadster-Photo
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Herb Iffrig on Sunday, March 29, 2015 - 10:26 pm:

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Erik Johnson on Sunday, March 29, 2015 - 10:56 pm:

Lampert Lumber Co. is still in business. They're headquartered in St. Paul, MN.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Hap Tucker in Sumter SC on Monday, March 30, 2015 - 06:13 am:

Herb,

Great photo thanks for posting it.

Bottom Line Up Front: I think it is most likely a Model R Runabout that has the rear deck modified (perhaps a pickup bed? My second choice is a Model S Runabout with the rear deck modified for sure.

Additional details:

It appears to be either a 1907 (and a few made in 1908) Model R Runabout "or" 1907-08 Model S Runabout. I think the rear turtle deck may have been modified -- it looks taller than normal to me. If the rear deck has NOT been modified it would be a Model R Runabout as the rear deck does NOT go back to a point. If it did go back to a point I believe we would see a good bit of space between the rear deck and the rear fender showing at the angle the photo was taken.

The wheels and chassis appear to be the same darkness (color) as the body which was typical for the Model R Runabouts that were often painted all dark green rather than the Model S Runabouts that were initially painted dark green body with cream running gear to distinguish them from the Model R Runabouts.

And of course the R Runabout had 30 x 3 wheels all around and the S Runabout had 28 x 3 wheels all around. But I usually cannot tell from a photo which size wheel is on the car unless there is another reference parked near by. It is much easier when the R or S Runabout is parked next to a T where the wheels line up nicely. The 30 x 3 T non-demountable front wheel either matches the earlier Ford or is noticeably taller. Either way it makes it easy to tell what the earlier car wheel size was.

Respectfully submitted,

Hap l9l5 cut off

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ken Parker on Monday, March 30, 2015 - 09:05 am:

Hap,

It looks like the car has a carbide generator on the driver side.

The two headlight mounts as well as the dash lamp brackets show but the lamps are gone at the time the picture was taken.

Did both R & S have running boards?

Was it common to have a fully lighted R S?

Ken in Texas

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Hap Tucker in Sumter SC on Monday, March 30, 2015 - 09:20 pm:

Ken,

You asked, “Did both R & S have running boards?” Yes, they both did as well as the Model S Roadster although the running board was much shorter on the Roadster.

Of the four major four cylinder models for 1906-1908 only the Model N Runabout used the step plates.

The Model R Runabout started shipping in Mar 1907 and had the long running boards and the rounded rear deck; 30 x 3 wheels, and a mechanical oiler on the engine (plus a few other upgrades). Most were sold in 1907 with a few stragglers sold later.

The Model S Runabout started shipping in Aug 1907 as a replacement for the Model R Runabout. It used approximately the same body that the later Model N Runabouts used with the pointed rear deck (their earlier 1906 Model N runabouts had a slightly smaller body). It used the 28 x 3 wheels the Model N Runabout used and it used the fenders & running boards the Model R Runabout used as well as having the mechanical oiler that the Model R had. The S Runabout continued to Sep 1908 with a few stragglers sold later.

The Model S Roadster had a short approximately 24 inch running board, mother-in-law seat, metal rounded cowl and fender aprons & running board aprons. It also had the 30 x 3 wheels. And was sold from Mar 1908 to Sep 1908 with a few stragglers sold after that (including 3 were shipped Jul 20, 1909 ref page 482 of Bruce McCalley's (R.I.P.) book "Model T Ford").

There were also 28 or so Model S Coupes, 1 Model R Coupe, a couple of Model S Landaulets.

You asked, “Was it common to have a fully lighted R S?” Yes, for oil side lamps and oil tail lamp as they came standard with the $750 or $700 price of the car. I do not have any hard data about how many did or did not purchase the headlamps. In the 1907 Ford accessory book the headlamps were available as 6 inch for $10 each; 7 inch for $12.50; 8 inch for $15 each; and a pair of brackets cost $5. A square generator was $15. So for the bottom of the line out fit from the factory -- $40 for headlamps that work or $50 if you went for the large size 8 inch ones. You could purchase a brand new radiator including the water pump and crank for $45 or a replacement new transmission. So the head lamps raised the cost of the car a lot for back then.

The Model R Runabout above as well as the Model S Runabout and the Model S Roadster [also the Model K ] came standard with the oil side lamps and tail lamps. The owner could purchase the “accessory” headlamps or single “swivel” headlamp/spot light along with the gas generator to be installed at the factory, from the dealer to be installed by the dealer, or from an aftermarket company. In the case of the Model N Runabout even the side and tail oil lamps were extra cost in 1907 and from memory [not as good as it once was] during the other years also.

So all the headlamps and gas generators were accessories along with the brackets to mount them. In the photo Herb posted you can see the forked brackets for the headlamps. And as you pointed out that is most likely the gas generator on the running board. Below are some photos of a couple of NRSorSR cars all being compared to the same headlamps on the right side car (sorry I don’t remember which car is which. Although the curved dash ones are Model S Roadsters). They all had that style or something similar to the headlamp bracket in the original photo Herb posted.

Of the seven 1908 Model S Roadsters shown on the shipping platform (see: http://www.thehenryford.org/ShowImage.aspx?f=THF37634_P.O.1020_PiquetteAve-ShippingPlatform_ca1906.jpg&h=420&w=470 ) I can easily see 5 of them. Of those 5 none of them appear to have headlamps. Two of them appear to have the single spot light attached to the dash and also have the extra cost tops. In 1907ish, I think a lot of people either didn’t drive at night or were content to drive very slowly and the side lights provided enough light to see (or they were in town and street lights may have helped).

If anyone would like a free copy of the article “How to ID the N, R, or S Ford” please drop me an e-mail with “Send NRS Ford article” or something similar in the title and I’ll forward you a copy. It has some additional details to look for when reviewing the N,R,S, or SR cars.

Respectfully submitted,

Hap l9l5 cut off

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration