New rods verses rebuilt ones

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2015: New rods verses rebuilt ones
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tom Moorehead on Monday, March 30, 2015 - 08:46 pm:

I had a discussion with a friend over the weekend and the subject of the new forged rods being sold came up. In particular, the Babbitt ones. I have two questions.
One, I assume they are light weight ones?
Two, can they be poured again in case of failure?
I would assume they are balanced and straight, with no twists?
Has anyone used these and how was the result?
Thanks
Tom

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Kohnke Rebabbitting on Monday, March 30, 2015 - 11:15 pm:

You can safely assume they were poured with lead babbitt.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Andre Valkenaers on Tuesday, March 31, 2015 - 05:18 am:

Tom,
I used them two years ago and till now no problem.
The only thing I had to do was:
The crankshaft was machined to a no standard under size. I bought the rods just the size under the crankshaft and machined them to fit the crankshaft.
The engine is running great and have about 5,000 miles on it without touching the rods.
I think they are good quality.

Andre
Belgium

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Justin in South Africa on Tuesday, March 31, 2015 - 08:55 am:

Hi Tom,

I can 2nd what Andre has said. I bought the forged Babbitted rods from Snyders, and handed them, with the pistons (egge), crank, and complete flywheel in for balancing.

The guy who did the work commented to me that they were so well balanced he hardly touched them. Same for pistons. He builds and balances race motors and said that you hardly ever get them that good straight out of the box.

I'm a believer. I've done about 1500 miles now, no problems. Call Tom Jordan at Snyder's... Good guy.

Cheers
Justin

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration