New guy

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2015: New guy
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By paul iverson on Monday, March 30, 2015 - 10:23 pm:

I just signed up and would like to say hello to every one I dont know much about t"s but would like to learn. we have a 16 touring last run in 1942 my uncle bought in 1941 for 10 bucks. my uncle is 97 and I would like to get it running while he is still around. I will try to get a frend to help me post pics.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John Noonan - Norton, MA. on Monday, March 30, 2015 - 10:35 pm:

Welcome to the forum Paul, if your friend cant help, i would be glad to help you out if i can.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mike Walker, NW AR on Monday, March 30, 2015 - 10:35 pm:

Hi, Paul -- Welcome to the group. Here is a link to clubs in IL. Your best move as a newbie would be to hook up with some other Model T'ers in your area. Most are very willing to hep out new T caretakers.

http://www.mtfca.com/clubpages/chapters.htm#il

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Michael Garrison - Rice Minnesota on Monday, March 30, 2015 - 10:40 pm:

Welcome Paul and Good luck with your project.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Eric Sayer on Monday, March 30, 2015 - 11:22 pm:

Welcome Paul hope you get that T running soon:?)

Eric

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Tuesday, March 31, 2015 - 12:47 am:

As the saying goes, welcome to the affliction. Here's something that may help you in this new adventure. http://dauntlessgeezer.com/DG80.html

There are several good Model T parts dealers. You happen to be about an hour's drive from Bob's Antique Auto Parts in Loves Park.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By George n Los Angeles CA on Tuesday, March 31, 2015 - 03:44 am:

Howdy Paul ! Welcome. And watch out for that Jelf fellar , he has a mean sense of humor, Bless his heart.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Martin Vowell, Sylmar, CA on Tuesday, March 31, 2015 - 03:51 am:

Welcome Paul, can't wait to see pictures of your 1916, I just love looking at pictures of these cars. :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Warren Henderson, Dunbarton, NH on Tuesday, March 31, 2015 - 06:04 am:

Welcome Paul and by all means as Mike suggested join your local Model T Ford club, they will take under their collective wings, show you a good time when ever you get together and help with all your projects. I also agree with Steve it is an affliction (but a great one) and before you know it your T will start to multiply all by it self!

Happy motoring,

Warren

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dave Dufault on Tuesday, March 31, 2015 - 07:36 am:

Welcome Paul,

In addition to what others have stated, I will offer an assignment to you - it will reward you greatly "...if you choose to accept it...".

When you have time, if you choose to do so, read the 3rd post in this thread (by Jim Thode, June 30,), and see how many of those suggestions you can accomplish.

http://www.mtfca.com/discus/messages/257047/297601.html?1341112656

Good Luck...and enjoy !

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steven Mackinnon on Tuesday, March 31, 2015 - 08:12 am:

From one new guy to another, welcome and enjoy!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bob Coiro on Tuesday, March 31, 2015 - 09:55 am:

Welcome aboard! We're glad you're here. :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By john kuehn on Tuesday, March 31, 2015 - 10:42 am:

Hello Paul.
I would recommend that you get yourself the Ford service manual.
I also inherited my 24 Coupe many years ago and bought the instruction book! The Ford service manual.
The MTFCA has repair manuals for the transmission, engine and etc. which are great But getting to know the Service manual will get you a good understanding of a T.
Read the manual and other related books and read them again!

Good luck and have fun! And study your manuals!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bill dugger on Tuesday, March 31, 2015 - 11:16 am:

Paul: Also let me welcome you toe the what ever its called.
Now as toe Steve Jelf, he always has a tape measure on this bib overalls, that is for measuring time and how much space for a "T", and I think he has several color's of them. Next item, in 2012 I stopped by his place and I offered to buy lunch and I had to take out a bank loan to pay the bill. Well it was not really that bad but he enjoyed the meal. Showed me all his stash of parts and projects. Just hope he lives long enough to complete all of them.
Take step at a time and enjoy the "T" as soon as possible
Good Luck
bill d
Redding Ca.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bill dugger on Tuesday, March 31, 2015 - 11:16 am:

s/b to the what ever

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Norman T. Kling on Tuesday, March 31, 2015 - 04:15 pm:

Welcome to the addiction. Soon you will have several T's. I have said this, you need one to drive while you work on the second one and a third for spare parts. Well I got all 3 running and so just maintain them and drive them. It is fun and in our climate I can drive them all year around. I wish we lived closer together so I could come over and help you, but several days drive. I have been in your state many times but never set foot outside Ohare airport. Just stayed a while between planes.
Norm

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By paul iverson on Tuesday, March 31, 2015 - 10:01 pm:

thank you all for the kind words and good advice. I plan to move slow and take my time I have a new set of tires I bought from bobs T parts at a swap meet. I have not tried to mount them yet I know thats going to be interesting! the mag. will need a recharge I am sure but it should run on batt. if coils are good. and I have heard all about broken arms from advanced spark! I will try to get my friend to post pics. tomorow thanks paul

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Wednesday, April 01, 2015 - 12:02 am:

Some folks struggle with mounting clincher tires, but here's a handy hint: warm tires are a lot easier to mount than cold ones.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Martin Vowell, Sylmar, CA on Wednesday, April 01, 2015 - 02:29 am:

Here's a video about mounting a small clincher tire, but worked for me on my 3.5x30's although I only did one side and spoon fed the rest of it in.
http://www.bing.com/videos/search?q=mounting+clincher+tires+with+a+trash+bag&FOR M=VIRE2#view=detail&mid=946E953267DC782AFB76946E953267DC782AFB76

I used a construction site trash bag I cut in half, but I've got to admit it worked like a charm and didn't mess up of rims nor transfer any paint from the rims to the tire.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By George_Cherry Hill NJ on Wednesday, April 01, 2015 - 04:47 am:

welcome...

your first set of clinchers will take you about an hour and a half each....with a bunch of cussin'....and once you figure out how to handle the stems and beads trying to occupy the same space. You'll probably pinch at least one of them...that's OK, good tire patches do hold...(my 25 with the bigger tubes still has red rubber inner tubes that had patches on them when I got it along about 78 or so and the red is STILL pliable and soft...something about the good old days?

your 2nd tire change will hopefully be years later yet take you about 45 minutes each and you'll feel pretty good about that...

your 3rd time will be about 25 minutes and you'll shout 'expert'....

your 4th will have one or two come in at 10 minutes and you'll wonder how that ever happened or was even possible...and now want to challenge the local knitting club since you can work two tire spoons that you have custom ground on your bench grinder the edge and flared to suit your own right hand/left hand co-ordination and are just as quick as they can work knitting needles per inch......

like I said...welcome...it's a fun ride and always an experience!

p.s. one of my 'spoons' is actually a modern brake adjuster where I've just ground roll over edges on, on both ends and work with a strong grip...took me til the third time to be daring enough to try something like that :-)......

p.s. #2...if you buy tubes 'for later' open the packages and dump a little air in them to just make a soft donut...these new tubes crack if left folded in the bag and it doesn't take more than a year or so to do so

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By paul iverson on Wednesday, April 01, 2015 - 09:42 pm:

thanks guys for the tire info. I remember my dad telling me when he got a model A he took a whole day to take off a tire he didnt know about drop center rims! another story he told me was changing a rear end a on a model t and he put it in backwards 2 speeds in reverse!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Larry Smith on Thursday, April 02, 2015 - 10:15 am:

Sounds almost like a barn find. Can't wait to see the photos.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By paul iverson on Thursday, April 02, 2015 - 03:00 pm:

my friend never came thru to help with pics. I think I will try myself. our car was bought from original owner by my dad and uncle in 1941 we still have the bill of sale 10.bucks. he bought a new 24 chev. coupe and kept T he said it had 1500 miles on it it was like new. the chev. was 10 bucks also but thay didnt buy it.my dad and his brothers had a auto junk yard in des.planes ill. and drove the T for fun until they all went in army in 42 they jacked up the T and covered it up in barn. when my dad got home on leave he found the T pulled out ready to be taken. someone took there ford 35 touring allready so he drove it to his fathers house and put it in garage. and it sat there until I took it home. my dad always liked Ts and wanted to get it out but never had a place to put it. it hasint run since 1942

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John C Codman on Friday, April 03, 2015 - 10:23 am:

Hi Paul, I have long had the philosophy that if the engine turns over and has compression in all cylinders, it can be gotten running. The old "fuel, air, and spark" still works. I once got a '28 Oldsmobile running that had sat uncovered in a farmer's field for more then 20 years. Since the T transmission and engine share an oil supply, if there is oil in the engine, the transmission is probably usable. Good luck. One tip (ask me how I know), don't let your T sit over the winter with gasoline that contains ethanol in it.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dena & Dennis Gorder on Friday, April 03, 2015 - 04:49 pm:

Paul, Dena and I also have a 16 touring. let us know if we can help. I am not certain what part of IL you are located but the MTFCA has 2 chapters in IL. One in Bismarck and one in Blue Mound. Their contact information can be found on this website. Also, the MTFCA has numerous repair manuals and restoration videos. Belonging to a local chapter can help you get the help you may need. Many times they have specialized tools to lend. Also a great way to meet fellow Model Ters. Welcome to the fun of owning and driving a Model T

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By paul iverson on Friday, April 03, 2015 - 09:19 pm:

I have not had a chance to play with pics.yet.yes John I think it should start pretty easy it turns over ok and had oil dumped in cyls. a few times over the years and gas tank looks ok inside dry. Dennis I am near freeport ill. close to rockford there are a lot of back roads around here that should be good for a T I know the brakes on a T are not much. we have a 36 ford and a model A that are running.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dena & Dennis Gorder on Saturday, April 04, 2015 - 04:02 am:

Paul, we are just south of WI Dells. Send us an email if you ever get up this way. We also have a lot of neat back roads to drive.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By paul iverson on Saturday, April 04, 2015 - 07:34 pm:

trying to send pics.

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration