Coil tester can not find the name on this one

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2015: Coil tester can not find the name on this one
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By ROBERT BERGSTADT on Tuesday, March 31, 2015 - 10:45 am:

I just acquired this restored coil tester new jewel gauge, new Wally's mag coil, nicely restored but the man I got it from cant remember the name of the tester, could this be a Allen or any ideas, Bob

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ron Patterson-Nicholasville, Kentucky on Tuesday, March 31, 2015 - 10:53 am:

I believe it is one of the reproduction Allen Electric units that were made by Bob Scherzer.
Ron the Coilman

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By ROBERT BERGSTADT on Tuesday, March 31, 2015 - 11:02 am:

Ron sent you a p m Bob

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John F. Regan on Tuesday, March 31, 2015 - 11:03 am:

I agree it is an Allen but I think it might be original based upon a few casting details on it that match mine. I have not seen the repro version so can't be sure but there appears to be some pitting on the drum forward face and Bob S would never have made castings that were not nice and smooth. His work is excellent. Notice there are 2 holes for the name plate (which is missing) on the front lower part of the base casting.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ron Patterson-Nicholasville, Kentucky on Tuesday, March 31, 2015 - 11:41 am:

If the base and main frame castings are aluminum it they are Bob S. reproductions. If they are cast iron they are original Allen Electric parts.
I also see some indications it is a combination of both which is common because Bob made many reproduction HCCT parts to help restorers to fix broken units.
Regardless, in my opinion it is one of the best of the seven types of HCCT's made.
Ron the Coilman

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By ROBERT BERGSTADT on Tuesday, March 31, 2015 - 11:47 am:

Thank you yes cast iron, Bob

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration