Gape between body and turtledeck

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2015: Gape between body and turtledeck
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John Glenn on Tuesday, March 31, 2015 - 11:26 am:

I am restoring a 23 runabout and after redoing the wood and body working, I find the large gapes between the body and turtledeck. The fit at the top is tight but then the gape gets larger to about 5/16 at the curve. Anyone have this problem and if so, how did they solve that.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Scott Conger on Tuesday, March 31, 2015 - 11:41 am:

John

take out the horizontal stiffener across the inside/back of the back panel. Try to push the trunk closer to the body, fasten, then reinstall the stiffener (may have to reshape it some).

I kept the turtle deck tight to the body during rewooding and had a perfect fit. For some reason, removed it when I made the two rear curved pieces of wood. They unfortunately "fixed" the curve, and thus the slight bow across the rear panel, which wanted to kick the trunk back a little JUST like what you're experiencing...I sure wish I'd left it bolted in place when I made those two last pieces.

Doing what I explained allowed me to pull the trunk up tight.

You will find that most roadsters that have been rewooded have a really poor fit in this area.

Best of luck

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration