Spark retard or am I retarded

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2015: Spark retard or am I retarded
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By wes heustess on Tuesday, March 31, 2015 - 11:32 am:

OK fellas. This is stumping me. My t has been converted to 12 v and has a what seems to be a modern distributor cap. Why does it seem like I do not need to adjust spark on my car? It runs pretty good at about 4 notches down. Result of conversion? Should I be adjusting something else?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Scott Conger on Tuesday, March 31, 2015 - 11:36 am:

it may have a mechanical advance built into it. I've only driven one "T" with a distributor and it needed to be retarded to start and then had a slightly advanced "fixed" position that it seemed happy at.

You'll probably get plenty of advice from other actual users.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Charlie B actually in Toms River N.J. on Tuesday, March 31, 2015 - 11:54 am:

You've probably got it right Scott. There might be a built in automatic advance in there. That plus his driving conditions locally ie: hills or the lack of them and such.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Seth from NC on Tuesday, March 31, 2015 - 12:45 pm:

Wes you have fantastic thread titles. Lol

Maybe share some pictures of your distributor (as well as pics of what it looks like under the cap).

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Erik Barrett in Auburn Ca. on Tuesday, March 31, 2015 - 06:36 pm:

Some of these distributors use a bell crank in the advance linkage attached to one of the timing cover bolts. The bell crank is longer on one side than the other. We have seen several of them with the bell crank installed upside down. This results in the distributor moving too far in relation to the spark lever, giving much too wide a variation in timing between retarded and advanced. If your distributor has a centrifugal advance you will be able to twist the rotor a little in the direction of rotation and the springs will bring it back. If it won't move, only the driver controls the timing.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Pat Kelly Montana on Tuesday, March 31, 2015 - 11:41 pm:

Wes, my '25 TT has a old Bosch distributor. I do retard the spark to start then advance the spark lever just a little and it's happy. I just leave it there and it runs good. PK

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Craig Anderson, central Wisconsin on Wednesday, April 01, 2015 - 02:26 am:

My '25 Dodge has an automatic advance built into the distributor drive rather than in the distributor.
Additionally the spark lever physically rotates the entire distributor.

(Message edited by cahartley on April 01, 2015)

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration