Report on some members tips

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2015: Report on some members tips
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bud Holzschuh - Panama City, FL on Tuesday, March 31, 2015 - 12:10 pm:

A recent thread about hand cranking had some tips in it about increasing your chances of getting a free start.

Briefly the suggestion was to fully retard the throttle, and run the engine at a high idle for 5 seconds before switching off. I tried this today after a 5 mile drive. When starting I left the spark fully retarded and set the throttle at about 1/2 (simply because that's where it starts best when cranking).

Glory hallelujah! A free start !!! Normally I wouldn't comment after just one instance but I haven't had a free start in a year so somethings working right.

Thank you Kenneth W DeLong !!!

Also a recent post by Harold Schwendeman suggested using an IR thermometer for checking radiators for cooling efficiency. I would like to add a data point for referance:

1 year old Brassworks radiator filled with 50/50 antifreeze & distilled water. 5 mile ride, 75 deg ambient, motometer had stabilized about 3/8" up from bottom. Readings taken after car parked on driveway (running)after 5 minutes.

Top tank (taken from inside engine compartment (not from brass on front), temperature 225 deg. (pretty constant across entire top tank.)

Bottom tank (again from inside engine compartment, near bottom water outlet), temperature 165 deg.

Even though top tank temp was above 212, there was no sign of boiling or gurgling. Temp difference was 60 deg F.

So, couple data points there ... hope they help someone ;o)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Erik Johnson on Tuesday, March 31, 2015 - 12:31 pm:

RE: no boiling at 225 degrees.

At sea level, in an non-pressurized system the boiling point of a 50/50 mixture of antifreeze and distilled water is higher than 212 degrees.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Hal Davis-SE Georgia on Tuesday, March 31, 2015 - 12:40 pm:

Could be the antifreeze or it could be that the IR thermometer is off just a little. Mine is. However, even if it were off somewhat, that 60 degree differential is probably a good number. I'll also bet that someone with an overheating T would report a differential of significantly less than the 60 degrees Bud found. Hopefully someone with a cooling problem and an IR thermometer will report back to us what their temperature differential across the radiator is.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Harold Schwendeman - Sumner,WA on Tuesday, March 31, 2015 - 12:52 pm:

Bud & Hal - Thanks for your posts. That "temperature difference" is the all important thing I think. Even if the IR Thermometer is a bit "off", I believe that the temperature difference figure will be accurate. And I still think that as you say Bud,......if there was some way to record that "temperature difference" in enough radiators, both good and bad, I believe it would be useful information for others to help determine the efficiency (or inefficiency) of their radiator. Again, thanks for your posts, and I hope others "will report back to us" on the forum, the results of their findings,......harold

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Harold Schwendeman - Sumner,WA on Tuesday, March 31, 2015 - 12:54 pm:

Bud & Hal - Thanks for your posts. That "temperature difference" is the all important thing I think. Even if the IR Thermometer is a bit "off", I believe that the temperature difference figure will be accurate. And I still think that as you say Bud,......if there was some way to record that "temperature difference" in enough radiators, both good and bad, I believe it would be useful information for others to help determine the efficiency (or inefficiency) of their radiator. Again, thanks for your posts, and I hope others "will report back to us" on the forum, the results of their findings,......harold

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ken Todd, ............Red Deer, Alberta on Wednesday, April 01, 2015 - 11:52 am:

FWIW, a 50/50 mixture of anti-freeze and water, at sea level, has a boiling temp of ~232F

Anti-freeze chart

Chart courtesy of Detroit Diesel

YMMV

Talk slow, think fast

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Kenneth W DeLong on Wednesday, April 01, 2015 - 01:45 pm:

Bud,Your not the only one who likes the tips! Our first T would not crank start on mag so we did a backyard rebuild with everything except the mains but used new caps.Still would not stemwind on mag! Bought second T and it would not crank start on mag.Sent coils off for perfect rebuilt and adj still would not crank start on mag.Read here where i should advance the spark so the timer is in the right position when the mag current is available. Both model T's started easily and it only took 8 years to learn how!!!!!!!!!!!!! Bud in Wheeler,Mi.

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration