Another RED head lives

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2015: Another RED head lives
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tony Bowker, Ramona, CA on Tuesday, March 31, 2015 - 05:41 pm:

Today was THE big day for the speedster I was working on late last year, the day to see if it would run. The gas line is not yet finalized, but the electrical and the exhaust is done. Interesting that with a fuel pump, we were able to use a loose pipe to a gas tank on the floor, so much easier than the usual Model T gravity system.
After setting the timing, TDC on #1, then finding the gas tap was off when in line with the line, it started right up. After a few adjustments it ran great. No exhaust muffler so it was a little loud in the garage.

The owner likes a little noise, so this is the exhaust system.

Now he has to fix up the gas lines and then install the "body". This consists of some of bits of plywood and a couple of seats. No fenders, no splash aprons, no doors, no top, man this thing should fly..... :-)

(Message edited by Tony_bowker on March 31, 2015)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dave Hjortnaes, Men Falls, WI on Tuesday, March 31, 2015 - 09:12 pm:

No Top No Fenders No Problem

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Erik Barrett in Auburn Ca. on Tuesday, March 31, 2015 - 09:17 pm:

Fenders belong in guitar cases, not on speedsters.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Eric Sayer on Tuesday, March 31, 2015 - 09:31 pm:

She's looking great Tony:?)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Tomaso - Milton,WA on Tuesday, March 31, 2015 - 10:31 pm:

Good one, Erik ! Sold my electric a while back - still pick up my Washburn though.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Seth from NC on Wednesday, April 01, 2015 - 06:44 am:

I LIKE it. I want to do basically the same thing. I'm just running a low head right now instead of the Rajo 4 valve. Eventually I'll get one of those and run dual carbs.

Tony what cam and carb are on the car? Domed or flat pistons?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By George John Drobnock on Wednesday, April 01, 2015 - 08:38 am:

Have you considered calling the speedster a "Testarossa T" - a red head T?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Stan Howe Helena, Montana on Wednesday, April 01, 2015 - 10:19 am:

Great looking project so far. I'd love to have one of those heads. The only thing I don't like is that black Model A carb on there when there are so many beautiful brass carbs that will out perform it and look a lot more period correct. On the other hand that huge alternator already pretty much toasted the period correct look.

His deal, he can do what he wants.

What is he going to do about a hood? That would look pretty cool with a cut out in the hood panel to clear the intake.

Nice job, Tony

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Norman T. Kling on Wednesday, April 01, 2015 - 10:46 am:

Looks good. Be careful! How are the brakes?
Norm

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jon Allen on Wednesday, April 01, 2015 - 11:29 am:

Tony,
You and I need to compare notes. I am building a speedster much like yours, and I have some questions. First of all, I will post a few pictures so you can see the project so far.

Here is one with Mark Chaffin's head in place and the Vega steering box installed.

Here is the other side showing a Stromberg OX-2 body bolted up to Mark's manifold.

I have a complete OX-2 coming from Stan if I can ever get him to finish it. (He may be old & slow, but he's good!)

One thing I want to know. What is that distributor/ignition system on yours. It looks like a twin fire 2-plugs/cylinder system. I am getting very interested in doing that with my set-up, and I am searching for ways to do it.
Do you have any suggestions about that?

Thanks & Regards,
Jon

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tony Bowker, Ramona, CA on Wednesday, April 01, 2015 - 11:51 am:

The hood, which is still under construction will only be a top with a large hole for the intake manifold and a large strap. It uses regular Al Model T pistons, Texas T distributor, Chaffin 260 camshaft, Scat counterbalanced crank and yes that ugly, but very effective Zenith carb.
Just to clarify, it is not my car and except for the idler pulley on the fan belt, the design and concept are all from the owner, I just implement his ideas... It has been lots of fun :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Chaffin......Corona, CA on Wednesday, April 01, 2015 - 03:31 pm:

John,

Looks to be a RAJO four valve which only have one spark plug per cylinder. Ignition is a single spark distributor setup. Check out Les Shubert's recent thread regarding dual ignition systems for some ideas. Happy motoring.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ed in California on Wednesday, April 01, 2015 - 04:07 pm:

Isn't it supposed to have two valve covers?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tony Bowker, Ramona, CA on Wednesday, April 01, 2015 - 07:19 pm:

The RED head came from Mark, indeed it was that purchase that started this adventure. Apparently the dual covers are tough to locate, while the single cover is being reproduced (by Mark??).

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bill Howell on Wednesday, April 01, 2015 - 07:58 pm:

Tony,

I am working on a "touring" driver with Mark's RAJO Head and a pressurized system with a Stroker crank. I am very interested in how you mounted you alternator and what impact that will have on the overhead cover?

I have Mark's head running (really a great product, professionally done, great fit and finish!) on my '25 Tudor touring and look forward to getting my '25 pickup on the road.

Tony, thanks, in advance, for additional pics and notes!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tony Bowker, Ramona, CA on Thursday, April 02, 2015 - 01:28 am:

Bill,
I used the Texas T alternator that is designed for the early non starter cars. It comes with a mounting bracket that bolts onto the cylinder head. Unfortunately it does not quite fit ad I had to add a couple of spacers (about 5/8") under the mounting bracket which of course required longer bolts (I had to buy ten, so have 8 available). Then I had to find a longer belt, thank goodness for the internet... The customer also wanted a Texas T water pump. Then I decided there was less than 1/4 of the circumference of the belt on the water pump pulley, so I added an idler pulley between the water pump and the the crank pulley.
It was a good deal more work than I anticipated, but it seems to work well and looks quite reasonable

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tony Bowker, Ramona, CA on Thursday, April 02, 2015 - 01:36 am:

I see you would like pictures....

Email me at tonybowker at aol dot com if you want more and in higher resolution.

(Message edited by Tony_bowker on April 02, 2015)

(Message edited by Tony_bowker on April 02, 2015)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bill Kerndt-Waukon, Iowa on Thursday, April 02, 2015 - 09:50 am:

Ed in California

I have a RAJO 4-Valve (F Head) with the one piece valve cover that is open in back and it is my understanding that that is the cover they came out with when new. I had a few of them made and are for sale.

When new, RAJO bragged that the 4-Valve was the only Overhead that could be installed on a Model T without having to change the firewall or remove the coilbox in the dash.

It would be nice to be able to check with someone to get the truth on some of these old rumors.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tony Bowker, Ramona, CA on Thursday, April 02, 2015 - 11:33 am:

A local member who claim to know about such stuff, tells that the RAJO 4 valve head was designed to be installed in T dump trucks being used in the excavation of the buildings in NYC. The side valve engine couldn't climb the grades bringing out the dirt and the 4 valve head could be installed on site without extensive modifications.
From what I see, it does seem feasible, a longer intake would be required, but the firewall on the RED head speedster is in the standard position and not cut away. It has the one piece valve cover, one of the pictures shows this after the video was taken.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ed in California on Thursday, April 02, 2015 - 12:04 pm:

I have a 4v Rajo head myself, and it has two separate valve covers.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tony Bowker, Ramona, CA on Saturday, May 02, 2015 - 01:05 am:

This last week, my customer completed the body on this Red Head. I forgot my camera but maybe next time I am in town I will take and post some more pictures.
What he really needs is a brass carburetor, something like a 1" or 1 1/2" Winfield.
Anyone have one that we can purchase?
Anyone know someone who might have one?
Contact me at tonybowker at aol.com (you know what to do)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tony Bowker, Ramona, CA on Wednesday, May 06, 2015 - 08:27 pm:

Today I took my camera to the weekly pilgrimage to see the Red Head.
It is as little as one can legally get away with in the State of California, as you can see it is now licensed. We will replace the Zenith carburetor with a Stromberg O-2, rebuilt by Stan Howe, when his schedule allows. Don't you love the offset seats, the driver is centered on the steering wheel and the passenger doesn't overhang too much. The owner is still working on a hood for the motor, a couple more weeks.

The engine of course is the heart of the car and is a RAJO Improved Model A as it appears to be identical to this advertisement.

The owner seems to like four cylinder cars, here is an (almost) daily driver.....

(Message edited by Tony_bowker on May 06, 2015)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tony Bowker, Ramona, CA on Thursday, May 14, 2015 - 12:24 pm:

Earlier in this thread there was a discussion of interference between the Red Head and the firewall. On doing detail work on the car, there was indeed interference between the rear valve spring and the firewall. As you can see on the above pictures, the owner had to machine the firewall behind the valve cover, but it was really just to clear the valve spring.
This problem may only apply to wood firewalls, I think the metal firewall is further to the rear in the area of the head.
Certainly on my 24 coupe, the front of the metal firewall is further back on the engine than on the wood firewall on 14 touring.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Fred Dimock, Newfields NH, USA on Thursday, May 14, 2015 - 02:03 pm:

Wow
It has a holder for 2 cups!

The poor passenger might have a bit of a problem reaching his!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Seth from NC on Thursday, May 14, 2015 - 02:40 pm:

This is just me, but, this speedster looks like a prime candidate for some foot-peg type rests. For both the driver and passenger to stretch out a bit. At least the passenger side since the seat is only slightly more than half on main body. Just an idea. Your mileage may vary.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Gary Schreiber- Santa Isabel Ecuador on Friday, May 15, 2015 - 08:29 am:

Love T's but I'd take the Metro this time

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tony Bowker, Ramona, CA on Wednesday, August 26, 2015 - 12:30 am:

The work on Red Head continues. The owner likes the polished aluminium look so the hood is now polished with a beautiful cut out for the intake manifold. Other changes include a Stomberg O2, supplied by Stan Howe, which took a little work to get running reasonably clean, still a slight misfire at small throttle openings, but it is a Speedster and should be run wide open. It then runs great, pulls the Warford overdrive with power to spare. Faster than I want to go on those wheels.....

The woodwork is just excellent, great tool box, easy accessibility to the battery and still has the staggered seats.
Now we need to work on the wheels before the San Diego Speedster Run on October 17/18

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Rob Heyen - Eastern Nebraska on Wednesday, August 26, 2015 - 07:31 am:

Tony,

Very, very nice......

Thank you for posting,

Rob

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tony Bowker, Ramona, CA on Monday, September 14, 2015 - 01:06 pm:

The Red Head is almost done.....
It has a rear view mirror, horn, licensed, runs well with the Stromberg 02 (thanks to Stan) and stop OK with the Rocky Mountain brakes. So it is almost ready for the San Diego Speedster Run Oct 17/18. The owner has a set of McClaren wheels and a Livingstone V radiator on order

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration