Opinion please - stuffing inner tube into tire.

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2015: Opinion please - stuffing inner tube into tire.
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tyrone Thomas - Topeka KS on Tuesday, March 31, 2015 - 09:55 pm:

First I am putting 500-550 tubes in a 450-500 tire. One in so far. I put the tire on rim, insert tube. With tube in, there is more tube than tire to start and the tube was getting between the tire bead and the wheel. I did with a bit of work got all the tube inside tire. Question, with the tube deflated and laying flat, can I curl the tube into itself from the outer most edge to make less excess tube to work around. Wrapping paper blue painters tape around the tube and insert the tube into tire. Mount tire. Than as I inflate the tire to full pressure the tape will break and the tube will unfold. Will that work?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Frank van Ekeren (Australia) on Tuesday, March 31, 2015 - 10:14 pm:

Sounds like you will have trouble with flat tires in the near future, fitting over sized tubes will give you creases in them, that you don't want. But if you must try, pump some air in the tube first before working the tire on.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve McClelland on Wednesday, April 01, 2015 - 12:18 am:

I agree with Frank, your wasting your time and all your going to do is ruin the tubes. however I have used a smaller tube in a slightly larger tire with no I'll results, ie: 30x3 in a 30x3.5 tire for an emergency run, lucky yes most likely... But a larger tube in a smaller tire the tube will chafe and blow out on you no doubt.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Wednesday, April 01, 2015 - 12:28 am:

Why are you doing this? Might as well spend the dough and get the right-sized tubes. You'll soon be doing it anyway. :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Clayton Swanson on Wednesday, April 01, 2015 - 12:38 am:

i disagree with the others. ALLWAYS have some air in the tube when stuffing it in the tire. just air it up enough that it is not quite taking a full doughnut shape-a little flat yet. when you do this, the part thats inside the tire that you cant see is inflated enough that there is no folds or pinches between the rim and bead. you are not jumping up three sizes or any thing foolish like that, so it will work. once mounted, air it up, then pull the valve stem and let it all out, and bounce the tire on the floor in a few places to knock out any wrinkles or bead pinches, air it up and go motoring.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Erik Barrett in Auburn Ca. on Wednesday, April 01, 2015 - 01:11 am:

I'm with Clayton on this one. One thing I will add is to powder the tube and tire casing generously with baby powder. Acts as a dry lubricant to help the tube unwrinkle during inflation.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Les VonNordheim on Wednesday, April 01, 2015 - 01:44 am:

If the tube is a size larger than the tire your putting it in....may result in the tube having folds/pinches causing leaks. Better to get the correct size tube for the tire. Speaking for myself, it's not worth the gamble for the small cost of a tube.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Donnie Brown North Central Arkansas on Wednesday, April 01, 2015 - 09:34 am:

I agree with everyone here. It would be better to get the proper size tube. Its always better to use correct parts. But as Clayton and Erik say, It is not a big jump in size. With the use of the talc (baby powder) and air the tire up and then let the air all the way back out. There should be no wrinkles to cause problems. I have did it lots of times in my "poor boy days" with good results. But as they say. "your mileage may vary" Good luck with them... Donnie Brown...

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bob Coiro on Wednesday, April 01, 2015 - 09:50 am:

Maybe I'm misunderstanding, but you seem to be asking for the proper technique of making mismatched items work together so as to yield a good result. -Mounting tires is just too much of a hassle to try to get away with that. -And who knows whether you'd be flirting with a dangerous blow-out down the road? -I'd say do it right and start by getting a correct size inner-tube.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Norman T. Kling on Wednesday, April 01, 2015 - 10:54 am:

Problem is that if the tire goes flat while you are driving, you could lose the tire and tube with possibility of an accident. If you have only one or two like this, put on back wheels. A sudden flat on a front wheel could have more effect on the steering.
Norm

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration