Options tt rear brakes

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2015: Options tt rear brakes
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By bob middleton on Tuesday, March 31, 2015 - 10:48 pm:

Sorry posted my question in forsale
Besides rockies what are my other options dics or bennetts???

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Henry Petrino in Modesto, CA on Tuesday, March 31, 2015 - 11:08 pm:

I have Bennetts on my TT. I like them a lot.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By bob middleton on Wednesday, April 01, 2015 - 11:16 pm:

Anyone have the guys name or contact info who remaking the bennitt brakes

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Hal Davis-SE Georgia on Thursday, April 02, 2015 - 12:24 pm:

I saw in a book one time where someone had added a second brake cross shaft and was using the stock lined rear brakes as service brakes AND parking brakes. I don't remember all the details now, but they had connected the two cross shafts with a piece of chain. I think the brake rods went to the rear cross shaft which was actuated by the brake pedal. The front cross shaft operated normally to put tranny in neutral and pulled on the chain to actuate the rear cross shaft and apply the parking brakes. When the brake pedal was pressed, the chain just went slack. I had thought about doing this to mine, but I don't want to drill any holes in the frame. But I may one day.

No reason this won't work on a car too. Of course it would be more effective on '26-'27's

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Phil Mino, near Porterville on Friday, April 03, 2015 - 07:41 pm:

Since we're on the subject of TT rear brakes, can anyone identify these mounts?

I can make out "Made in USA" and "Pat Apl'd" but no manufacturer's name.

TToutsidebrake-1

TToutsidebrake-2

TToutsidebrake-3

TToutsidebrake-4

TToutsidebrake-5

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Gerard de Bruin on Tuesday, April 07, 2015 - 05:39 pm:

The brackets are used at a Stronghold brake system, see attached pictures. There are more manufacturers that use this brackets for the same system. I also have this brackets of a French manufacturer.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John McGinnis in San Jose area, CA. on Tuesday, April 07, 2015 - 06:36 pm:

In Gerards last photo I see what appears to be a broken brake shoe. I understand that they break easily as they are iron castings...and this is why they are so rare. However I sense that they may function OK given how they break. It appears to be held together by the lining and there is nowhere for the pieces to go.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Henry Petrino in Modesto, CA on Tuesday, April 07, 2015 - 06:51 pm:

You're right John. That lower shoe is broken. But I'm not so sure it will function OK like it is. It seems to me that the shoe must rigidly maintain its radius to work. Even though there is no place for it to go, I think when it's applied you'd get some effect at the expander but most of that shoe would not press uniformly against the drum. It would just flex at the fracture. The upper shoe would probably function OK.

Just my thoughts.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John McGinnis in San Jose area, CA. on Tuesday, April 07, 2015 - 08:25 pm:

Henry, I agree with you...given it more thought...don't think it would work reliably. My thoughts on all of these broken shoes is that they can easily be brazed at the fracture...every bit as good as cast iron. They don't show, so it is possible to lay it on. Perhaps covering rivet holes..no matter.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Justin H. - Western PA on Tuesday, April 07, 2015 - 09:14 pm:

Here are the brackets for my A-C brakes:

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration