OT - I'm not the first farmer to own a Model K

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2015: OT - I'm not the first farmer to own a Model K
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Rob Heyen - Eastern Nebraska on Tuesday, March 31, 2015 - 11:04 pm:

As it turns out, The state of Kansas seems to have had a disproportionate number of Model K. My suspicion is that an aggressive Ford branch store (Kansas City) and an affluent time in farming may be the reasons so many K seem to turn up in this central U.S. Ag state.

This is the story of one of those farmers.

George Chambers farmed outside Lawrence Kansas (home of the University of Kansas). Shortly after the turn of the last century, it looks as though the Chambers family have been quite successful, and are also quite progressive when it came to new technology. This account says the Chambers are one of the few farmers with telephone service:

The Chambers, like many wealthy city dwellers, also seem to be able to enjoy lengthy trips:

And, like many of their wealthy city peers, the automobile "bug" bit in August of 1905:

However, one car isn't enough. In December, 1905, George Chambers travels to Kansas City to buy a second, larger touring car:

Next, 1906

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Erik Johnson on Wednesday, April 01, 2015 - 11:03 am:

Here's a 1904 Sandusky Courier.

I took the photos at the AACA National Meet in Louisville, KY in July 2010. (75th anniversary meet of the AACA and the first all-indoor national meet.)

This car has a phenomenal restoration. Note the bent-wood fenders.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Strange - Hillsboro, MO on Wednesday, April 01, 2015 - 01:17 pm:

Whoa, that is gorgeous! Thanks for posting the pictures. :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Rob Heyen - Eastern Nebraska on Wednesday, April 01, 2015 - 01:54 pm:

Erik,
Thanks for posting, what a beautiful car, and restoration.

The Chambers again took a winter vacation to begin 1906. This time, they attend the auto races at Ormond (Daytona) Beach. Henry Ford and Frank Kulick are also at the races with six cylinder Ford racer. I wonder if the Chamber's saw Ford and the racer?

The Chambers then went on to visit Cuba:

George Chambers brings a "souvenir" back from Florida.

A practice that is still common (in Nebraska anyway), the Chamber's move to town from the farm:

About this time, the Kansas City Ford Branch store receives their first Model K:

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Rob Heyen - Eastern Nebraska on Wednesday, April 01, 2015 - 11:10 pm:

As of late April, 1906, the "Lawrence Daily" reports there are twenty cars in Lawrence:

In early May, George Chambers sells one of his two cars, the Courier runabout:

A few weeks later, he advertises his "Kansas City Motor" touring car for sale:

In June, Mr. And Mrs. Chambers go to K.C. And return with their new Ford Model K:

The day he returns from K.C. with his new Model K, George receives a traffic ticket in Lawrence. The fine is over $500 in todays dollars. Another motorist with a new car, Day Pierson, has also been charged, along with an Ice Cream wagon operator and a few other belligerents:

Another Lawrence KS. paper mentions the new Chambers car a day later:

Mr. Chambers wastes no time making use of his new Ford. This account reports he has taken his auto to Kansas City. The other couple mentioned visiting Kansas City, the Woodward's, will buy a new Model K the following year (1907):

George Chambers and Day Pierson each race their cars at a local event:

With no hesitation, the Chambers' plan a trip to visit family in Oil City, PA, driving their new Ford:

If anyone is still reading this lengthy post, the Chambers will put a significant number of miles on their Model K over the next year.

Any guesses to the number of miles this Ford "K" will have by next year, or the spring of 1907?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Clayton Swanson on Wednesday, April 01, 2015 - 11:28 pm:

Rob, great stories, but isnt it about time to quit dilly dallying on the computer and get the planter dialed in?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Rob Heyen - Eastern Nebraska on Wednesday, April 01, 2015 - 11:34 pm:

Clayton,
Fortunately, I'm good at multi-tasking.

Besides, it's raining here...

:-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bob Gruber- Spanaway, Wash. on Wednesday, April 01, 2015 - 11:41 pm:

I'm reading all your posts.
Interesting stuff!
Keep up the good work.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Rob Heyen - Eastern Nebraska on Friday, April 03, 2015 - 05:22 am:

Thanks Bob.

After returning from their trip to PA and the eastern U.S, George Chambers orders a Ford Model N by phone from Chicago:

The Chambers continue to use their K touring:

Chambers new Model N is also getting a workout:

One fatality, an old rooster:

Next, 1907, and the Chambers will add to their "fleet" of cars.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Wayne Sheldon, Grass Valley, CA on Friday, April 03, 2015 - 05:18 pm:

Still reading.
By the way. Have you ever been following a car going down the road at about 50 mph when it hit a chicken????
I was.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Rob Heyen - Eastern Nebraska on Friday, April 03, 2015 - 06:40 pm:

Wayne,
Thank you. 1907 and 08 are interesting years for the Chambers and Lawrence KS auto owners. This thread is becoming a little long so I'll begin a part 2 thread and link this, later tonight or tomorrow. Have a good weekend,
Rob

By the way, I bet that makes a mess. (Chicken Cacciatore)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bruce Balough on Friday, April 03, 2015 - 07:08 pm:

Rob
How about a thread on how the K is coming? I can't wait to see it this year.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bob Gruber- Spanaway, Wash. on Friday, April 03, 2015 - 07:53 pm:

I hit a wild turkey in Eastern Montana about 5 years ago.
I was hauling a T from Tacoma to Indy for my kids.
What a mess!
My truck still shows where it hit.

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration