How to remove a 1927 tudor windshield

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2015: How to remove a 1927 tudor windshield
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jim Kelsey on Wednesday, April 01, 2015 - 02:14 am:

I am getting prepared to repaint my 1927 tudor and need to know how to remove the windshield. I can see the hinge, but am not sure what to do.

Also, any recommendations on window gasket materials (for lack of a better term) including the side windows? Thanks.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Craig Anderson, central Wisconsin on Wednesday, April 01, 2015 - 02:48 am:

Feel around in the channel to which the windshield hinge is secured........which makes wrenching the nuts real easy.......NOT!
You will find there are square nuts hidden in that channel with the corresponding screws nestled in the hinge on the underside.
By the skin of my teeth and a LOT of perseverance I got them all out.
I wouldn't have gotten them out without using an impact screwdriver.......the nuts were that tight.
I soaked them all with penetrating oil in advance of trying to loosen them.
You will need to remove the windshield brackets so you can open the window WAY forward.
HINT......keep track of which side the brackets come from and in what order or THAT will turn into another ceremony.
Don't ask how I know.......

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Craig Anderson, central Wisconsin on Wednesday, April 01, 2015 - 02:51 am:

I forgot to mention I managed to attach a 4" Vice Grip pliers to the nuts to stabilize them while using the impact screwdriver.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By mike peterson on Wednesday, April 01, 2015 - 12:22 pm:

all depends on which windshield and header u have, craig mentioned one, the other where u have the steel header that runs across the top of the windshield that hides the bolts and the nuts are welded in the channel, so u can only use a screwdriver from the bottom, u also need to take out the side garnish out or u will bend the top hinge ends, of course u also have the piano style hinge, that's different than the windshield that can slide out sideways , which makes the top hinge removal a "little" easier

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John Aldrich Orting Wa on Wednesday, April 01, 2015 - 01:31 pm:

What color are you painting it Jim?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dan Hatch on Wednesday, April 01, 2015 - 03:18 pm:

If anybody here would know it would be Mike. Mike, did not see you at Chickasha, hope all is ok. Dan

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Terry Woods, Richmond, Texas on Wednesday, April 01, 2015 - 04:15 pm:

If your 26-27 has the interlocking type hinge as opposed to the piano type hinge, the windshield frame can be separated by just sliding the frame and interlocking hinge, to the right or left, in the full open position and reinstalled the same way. It takes at least two to do it,

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jim Kelsey on Wednesday, April 01, 2015 - 10:43 pm:

Thanks for all of the advice. to answer your question, John, it will be painted royal maroon. there still is a lot of bodywork Yes to do as the car has a lot of cancer that was hidden by bondo.

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration