1925 Fordor Outside Mirrors

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2015: 1925 Fordor Outside Mirrors
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Keith Buckley on Wednesday, April 01, 2015 - 04:29 am:

It seems to me, that no vendor has or sells side mirrors for the enclosed cars? Did I miss them completely on their website, or should I start looking to trade my glasses in for the "Coke Bottle" type? Since I am new to the T hobby, ( I thought?).... that when I started reading this forum last October, before I bought the Fordor, that there was a mention about a Harley Davidson mirror?, that can be made to work? I would love to have one on the passengers side, but mounted to the door, and not the windshield frame. Have seen some on EDay that looks as if it could possibly work, but would still have to modify, or make a new type of mounting bracket for it. What if anything, has anyone done for their cars? Thanks in advance, for any input. P.S. I have a spotlight with a small 3"?, mirror on the Drivers side. Keith

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Don Booth@ Bay City, Mi on Wednesday, April 01, 2015 - 06:58 am:

I bought the hinge mounted mirrors for my fordor. They work great.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Wetherbee - Downeast Maine on Wednesday, April 01, 2015 - 12:45 pm:

Look in the Model A catalogs for door hinge mounted mirrors - Snyder's #A-17704-A at $24.95 each. I have an original one on my 26 Fordor, and it does work great.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mike Conte on Wednesday, April 01, 2015 - 01:11 pm:

I was thinking of getting this mirror for my Fordor.

https://www.modeltford.com/item/7855DP.aspx

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Hal Schedler, Sacramento on Wednesday, April 01, 2015 - 01:39 pm:

I use mirrors that can be removed easily, like the ones that clamp onto the lip with allen head set screws.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ronald L Babb - Tacoma, WA on Wednesday, April 01, 2015 - 01:45 pm:

I ordered the closed car mirrors from Chaffin's for my late '23 Coupe and they fit the upper hinge almost perfectly. I had to file one very slightly to have it slip over the hinge. They do come as a right and left. I mounted them reveresed, I wanted the mirror a little lower.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Craig Anderson, central Wisconsin on Wednesday, April 01, 2015 - 06:09 pm:

Mike, that is the mirror I have on my '27 Tudor.
It's large enough and stands off enough so it's actually useful....... :-)

mirror1

mirror2

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Keith Buckley on Thursday, April 02, 2015 - 03:59 am:

Thank you all for advice and help with this. It gives me a good idea what I have to work with from the marketplace. The Pics helped me visualize it so much better too. I am almost ready to take it's Maiden voyage, with me driving for the first time, and want a little extra safety on my blind side. But, of course, it started raining this week in the Northwest, so I will hold off and hope for a better day soon.
Thanks again, Keith

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By james woodard on Thursday, April 02, 2015 - 04:09 pm:

Hello, I Have a Pair spotlights one with a Mirror For SALE (1914) ? . I. Have seen a few others talk. About using the on tir (1925) fords .They are wakefield brass co. (Red Spot). They are both pre. Patand one seems to be a (first design).
Jim. 6786876866

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By james woodard on Thursday, April 02, 2015 - 04:11 pm:

Hello, I Have a Pair spotlights one with a Mirror For SALE (1914) ? . I. Have seen a few others talk. About using the on tir (1925) fords .They are wakefield brass co. (Red Spot). They are both pre. Patand one seems to be a (first design).
Jim. 6786876866

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By George_Cherry Hill NJ on Thursday, April 02, 2015 - 05:30 pm:

Keith,

When I first got my 25 Fordor near 40 years ago now, the concept of blind spots took on whole new meaning...

Nothing was available that came close to what was needed, and I didn't want to drill holes for something modern. So being an old SEABEE, I improvised...

Go find a more modern mirror that has a clamp type backing plate. Take a hinge pin out and mic the diameter....

Buy as piece of rod stock that diameter, thread the end, drill a hole for a cotter near where shown below...assemble it like shown....bend it in the shape you want....replace the upper or center hinge pin with it...mount your mirror....good to go....hole-less!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John Page on Thursday, April 02, 2015 - 07:22 pm:

Keith,
This is the one I made for our Fordor back in 2010.

Best regards, John Page , Australia.

http://www.mtfca.com/discus/messages/118802/154212.html?1281636851

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Allan Bennett - Australia on Friday, April 03, 2015 - 04:21 am:

John, that's the best bracket I have seen in a long time. How did you make it?

My 27 tudor came with stainless repro mirrors. I ditched the heads with the Phillips head screws like yours and replaced them with these Wibroc items from the early 60's.

mirror

They take some finding, but are worth the effort. A mate with nice 16 tourer has a pair of them stripped back to brass. They look just the part.
I have a nickel plated pair on my 17 shooting brake too.

Just for interest.
Allan from down under.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Keith Buckley on Friday, April 03, 2015 - 05:39 am:

John Page......That is the EXACT thread that I was thinking about with the H/D mirrors! I guess I'm having a "senior moment", as I thought it was October, when I read it, but it says Aug., anyways....I don't remember reading your remarks in that thread, BUT...I must have, because I have been thinking of that Exact bracket you made, that I thought about making myself, for the past few months. And I thought I had an original idea!! I still have an idea for a much simpler bracket, with less cost and time. I don't like drilling holes into the body, as someone said too, I want to keep it looking, as original, as possible, but update to improve performance and safety at the same time! There are so many good ideas here, and things I haven't thought about fully,... I.E. ... folding the mirror arm so it is flush with the car, as many people use trailers here, or as a safety feature like the new cars, if it is bumped into something, it just moves it away without breaking the mirror and so on. Well again we Fordor people have to put together our ideas, as not all is available for them, like the other T's. Thanks for sharing. Also, I have been to OZ, several times, and have some very good friends there, and I have to say this in true honesty, that you and the 'Kiwi's", are the nicest and friendliest people I have ever met.
Best to all of you, Keith

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John Page on Friday, April 03, 2015 - 03:49 pm:

Allan ,
The link I posted has a brief explanation of how I made the mirror.
I can give you more detailed information if you need them.You should have my email address from our past communications.
The phillips head screws didn't last long on mine either.

Best regards, John

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Keith Buckley on Sunday, April 05, 2015 - 04:15 am:

James Woodward...Sorry I hadn't gotten back to you sooner. I'm more interested in putting just a mirror on the right side instead of another spotlight, but a good suggestion on your part though, Thanks! Have you posted them in the classified section on here? If not, you just might get them sold, if you put pictures of them, how much you want for them, and do they work, and any information about their condition, that tells more detail is a sure way to help sell them.
Keith

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration