Best way to paint nondemountable wheels

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2015: Best way to paint nondemountable wheels
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Gary London, Camarillo, CA on Wednesday, April 01, 2015 - 08:51 pm:

I need to paint a set of wood nondemountable wheels. What is the best way to paint them so they don't get trashed when the tires are mounted? I thought about painting just the clincher part with color, mounting the tires, then painting the entire wheels? It's easier to paint them without the tires, but then I'm concerned with messing up the inside of the rim with tire irons, although I do always cover the metal of the irons with heavy electrical tape. I've painted demountable wood wheels by putting them on a shaft to turn and the paint came out great. I plan on the same basic idea with these, but the tire part has me concerned.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By R.V. Anderson on Wednesday, April 01, 2015 - 09:11 pm:

Gary, you don't need tire irons when mounting tires. Mount the wheel to the car, leave the tire in a plastic black garbage in the sun to soften up a bit, inflate the tube so it's barely round, and mount the tire: sit directly on the floor or on the ground, and use both hands and feet to work both sides of the casing over the rim at the same time, starting at the tube stem and going out both sides from there. You may need a heavy rubber mallet to get the last bit on. My brother can mount a brand new casing in less than 5 minutes using this method. The paint doesn't even get scuffed, let alone scratched or gouged.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Gary London, Camarillo, CA on Wednesday, April 01, 2015 - 10:47 pm:

That's a good idea R.V. I've always put an old modern tire on the ground, put the wheel face down and used tire irons from the back. for demountables I set 4 anchor bolts in the concrete pad on the side of the house, used spacers to keep the rim off the ground and with irons could strip and install a set of 5 in under an hour. I like your idea!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Gary London, Camarillo, CA on Thursday, April 02, 2015 - 03:17 pm:

R.V.

What does he use as a lube on the tires to slip them on? I've heard different suggestions over the years, but I'm curious what he uses.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By R.V. Anderson on Thursday, April 02, 2015 - 04:05 pm:

Don't need no lube. The new casings will slip right on over the new paint, especially if you have used a hardener.

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration