Bendix Counter Weights

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2015: Bendix Counter Weights
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dave Huson, Berthoud, Co. on Thursday, April 02, 2015 - 01:06 pm:

I used to have a lot of counter weights to attach to the Bendix Gear. I have used them all and need a lot more to finish some bendix Gears. All the gears in the picture below need them. Does any one know who might be producing them.

bendix gears

The counter weights have four tabs that attach to the gears. The tabs are often broken off which make them unusable. Please see the counter weights below with only one tab left.

counter weight

I don't like the idea of welding the counter weights to the gear. I feel it would throw the weight of balance.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jerry VanOoteghem - SE Michigan on Thursday, April 02, 2015 - 04:34 pm:

It only takes a tiny amount of weld. Just be sure to weld it from the backside so the weld doesn't interfere with the gear teeth. Welding in 4 places, equally spaced, will not effect balance. I think most of mine are welded with never a failure.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Allan Bennett - Australia on Friday, April 03, 2015 - 04:28 am:

Dave, I have seen quite a few which have had the weight bronze welded back into place. They have been in service, so perhaps the weight is not too critical.

That said, if I was buying, I would want an un-welded one, if it was available.

Allan from down under.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John McGinnis in San Jose area, CA. on Friday, April 03, 2015 - 09:28 am:

I just braze them on. Weight is not a big issue

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By lorenzo leon on Friday, April 03, 2015 - 04:01 pm:

will brazeing it hurt the temper of the gear? or are the gears not hardened?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jerry VanOoteghem - SE Michigan on Friday, April 03, 2015 - 06:51 pm:

The only problem with brazing is that it usually allows gobs of brass to flow from the backside of the counterbalance, where it should be, to the "gear side", where it can cause binding problems with the ring gear. Just be careful and don't over do it with the brass.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John McGinnis in San Jose area, CA. on Friday, April 03, 2015 - 08:36 pm:

Careful brazing will not overheat anything and will not allow blobs of braze material to accumulate where you don't want it.

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration