Trailer Decals

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2015: Trailer Decals
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steven G. Williams on Thursday, April 02, 2015 - 02:11 pm:

My new enclosed trailer is ordered. Now for a new question - while driving down the highway, I always enjoy seeing logos and decals on trailers, as it lets me know they're T people headed for the tour to which I'm going.

So, put MTFCA decals on the trailer or not? Just didn't know how concerned I should be re: security.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Keith Gumbinger, Kenosha, WI on Thursday, April 02, 2015 - 02:26 pm:

I have Model T Club decals on my enclosed car trailer, and I do it for security.

I've seen too many enclosed car trailers stolen by people thinking that there's construction equipment inside & the decals help to prevent that.

Anyway, with the decals my trailer has never been stolen.

Keith

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dick Lodge - St Louis MO on Thursday, April 02, 2015 - 02:48 pm:

Steven, Keith makes a good point. Better a potential thief know up front that the trailer contents aren't something he can quickly sell for some fast cash.

Also, your point about a recognition device on the road is a good one. Anja and I always had (I still do) oval international "NL" stickers on the backs of our cars. We referred to it as "trolling for Dutchmen." )

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Harold Schwendeman - Sumner,WA on Thursday, April 02, 2015 - 03:18 pm:

I believe that many enclosed trailers are stolen by somebody that just needs a trailer for a one-way trip to move household goods. These "low-lifes" justify in their own mind that they didn't really "steal" the trailer, but only "just borrowed it" with the intention of abandoning the trailer someplace, when they're through with it, feeling that it will be recovered and eventually find it's way back to the owner. Happens all the time. As a retired RR police officer, have found too many trailers abandoned on railroad property. FWIW,......harold (retired RR Police Officer)

P.S.....I also believe that sometimes a trailer is stolen by someone that actually thought it was empty, or, knew it had a vehicle in it but just quickly "ditched" the vehicle in some secluded place so they could load their household goods or whatever and complete their moving trip, and then the vehicle that was inside the trailer at time of theft is recovered in a different location than where the trailer is recovered in some secluded location where the "perp" finially abandoned the trailer when he was finished using it.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Harold Schwendeman - Sumner,WA on Thursday, April 02, 2015 - 03:33 pm:

One more thought, for what it's worth,......

I'm, not really suggesting this as someone would have to check the legality of this, but maybe placarding the trailer with hazardous material placards would discourage theft of the trailer.

Some shipping containers like, railroad cars, intermodal containers, semi truck trailers, etc, must even be placarded with the proper placards when they are empty. This is because the container had been used to carry something hazardous to human health, and even when the intermodal container or trailer is empty, the "residual" is still hazardous until the container/trailer is properly cleaned and "de-contaminated".

Besides hauling your Model "T", an enclosed car hauler trailer could be used to haul poisonous weed killer and such, home from Home Depot or the local nursery,.......think about it,.......harold

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Henry Petrino in Modesto, CA on Thursday, April 02, 2015 - 03:41 pm:

I dunno Harold. Labeling your trailer with hazardous materials placards, legal or not, could start a cascade of events that would soon get out of control. Also, I'm pretty sure that in many states haulers of hazardous materials must have a permit, a special license, and who knows what else. If you got stopped, even though you don't actually have hazardous materials aboard, things may not go well for you.

Just my $.02 worth.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Kenneth W DeLong on Thursday, April 02, 2015 - 03:48 pm:

Does the MTFCA have/sell the large trailer decal?? I know the MTFCI sells them but can you get on their site?? Bud in Wheeler,Mi.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Kenny Edmondson, Indianapolis on Thursday, April 02, 2015 - 03:52 pm:

Placarding with Hazardous materials will get you massive fines. If the vehicle is empty it must have nothing displayed. Back a few years ago, placards would have "Drive Safely" or some other message on it, today that is illegal and will get the driver/carrier fined. The list below goes on and on. Don't even think about doing that.

172.331(b) Offering bulk packaging other than a portable tank, cargo tank, or tank car (e.g., a hopper car) not marked with ID number. (E.g., a hopper car carrying a hazardous substance, where a placard is not required) 2,500.
172.332 Improper display of identification number markings. Citation of this section and §§ 172.326(c) (portable tanks), 172.328 (cargo tanks), or 172.330 (tank cars) does not create two separate violations 2,000.
172.334(a) Displaying ID numbers on a RADIOACTIVE, EXPLOSIVES 1.1, 1.2, 1.3, 1.4, 1.5, or 1.6, or DANGEROUS, or subsidiary hazard placard 4,000.
172.334(b) —Improper display of ID number that caused or contributed to a wrong emergency response 15,000.
—Improper display of ID number that could cause carrier mishandling or minor error in emergency response 5,000.
—Technical error 2,000.
172.334(f) Displaying ID number on orange panel not in proximity to the placard 1,500.
Labeling:
172.400-.406 Failure to label properly. (See also § 172.301 regarding the marking of packages.) 2,500.
Placarding:
172.502 —Placarded as hazardous material when car does not contain a hazardous material 2,000.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dennis Seth - Ohio on Thursday, April 02, 2015 - 03:54 pm:

I have seen trailers with decals of antique car clubs and such and always thought it would be nice to chat with them if we ever met at a truck stop or service station. Advertising is one way to meet people. Some trailers I have seen just have a shadow outline of an old car so you can guess what is inside. I always laugh when I see the sticker on the back of a horse trailer that says: "Caution Horses"...if they didn't have that on the back I guess it was OK to run into the back of it. My wife always wanted me to put that on our horse trailer but I would laugh and say, "Don't worry if they run into the back they are going to get covered with barn apples; and if they tailgate they may get a free sample of barn apples or a free car wash"

Wether you put decals on your trailer or not if someone wants it they will take it. Locks are for honest people.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Harold Schwendeman - Sumner,WA on Thursday, April 02, 2015 - 03:58 pm:

Henry - I agree! That's why I said "someone would have to check the legality of this",.......

However, the placards could just be left on the trailer when it is parked, stored, etc. They could be removed when the trailer is being actually used on public roads or highways by the owner to haul the Model "T". Again,.....just a thought,.......harold

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Harold Schwendeman - Sumner,WA on Thursday, April 02, 2015 - 04:07 pm:

Kenny - Thank you! We were typing at nearly the same time and I didn't see your post. That's one of the neat things about this forum! There's almost always somebody out there that "KNOWS"!

I was at least smart enough to mention that the legality would have to be checked. I guess THAT didn't take long!

Thanks again Kenny. But I still think there must be some legal way to discourage thieves and/or "borrowers! I know that the commonly silly bumper stickers that say things like,...."Protected by Smith & Wesson" and such as that are pretty much worthless.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dave Barker - Dayton, OH on Thursday, April 02, 2015 - 04:09 pm:

MTFCA sells 24" diameter decals on this website (MTFCA Store link on the home page).

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jack Daron - Brownsburg IN on Thursday, April 02, 2015 - 04:19 pm:

A "caution,live rattle snakes inside" sign might work.Then some Damn Liberal will probably find an excuse to fine you for that.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By kep on Thursday, April 02, 2015 - 04:25 pm:

A warning sign "Biohazard - human waste inside" should discourage people.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Harold Schwendeman - Sumner,WA on Thursday, April 02, 2015 - 04:27 pm:

Jack - I agree! We have too many laws, which is why we have too many lawyers, which is why we have too many laws, which is why we have too many laws, which is why we have too many......

Well,.......WE HAVE TOO MUCH GOVERNMENT! And yes,....Im shouting!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dan Treace, North FL on Thursday, April 02, 2015 - 04:39 pm:

Here is my enclosed hauler as new.

It now has scads more stickers, big MTFCA one, and my name and wife's name on the rear plus city state (helpful to I.D. us at tours)plus "Passing Side" and "Suicide" Arrows pointing right and left. 20" tall "Model T Ford" on each side made at a vinyl sticker shop. And more :-)

Reason one. Was once stopped for not pulling into the FL Inspection Station, the one where they check for fruit and commercial items not having sales tax receipt coming into FL.

The officer let me go, as the trailer was empty. And I told him it was going to carry personal property, a Model T. Asked if I lettered the side "Model T" would that permit me to pass along. He said yes, Good Idea. Shows personal property.

Reason Two: With so much personal vinyl stickers all over the hauler, no thief would take a second look. Too easy to identify our hauler. :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dan Hatch on Thursday, April 02, 2015 - 05:04 pm:

Most enclosed trailers stolen around here are used for a meth lab. When they are done with them the trailer is a waste dump.

A local motel found a meth lab in one of their jet tub rooms. Now that room is closed for good. Cost too much to clean it up.

Lock up your trailers, get a low jack for trailers. Dan

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steven Thum on Thursday, April 02, 2015 - 07:52 pm:

Steven

We are repainting the quick assembly car trailer and getting new decals for it. Maybe we can team up and get a better price for all the decals?

Steven

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Michael Thomas - Centerville, Iowa on Thursday, April 02, 2015 - 08:43 pm:

Some lettering or decals also makes it easier to identify. Calling and reporting a white trailer or black trailer with no identifiable markings is almost futile.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mack Cole ---- Earth on Thursday, April 02, 2015 - 08:56 pm:

Hand build your trailer and it will be to unique for anyone to want to steal! :>)

And check into the labeling with logos like "FORD" or whatever. I think there is a issue with that being considered advertising and could get you in a bind because the law man will mistake you for being involved in a commercial en-devour.

When I get time and the extra funds I want to build a enclosed trailer in this fashion except large enough to maby haul my speedster when finished. My camper is getting small since I dont get around good and I want to build a bigger 1. So it would be a good time to make it large enough for a light T.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steven G. Williams on Thursday, April 02, 2015 - 10:31 pm:

Thanks all!
And Steven Thum, I'll only need two decals, already have one, but let's talk Sunday at the Forest Park show.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Coco - Winchester Va. on Friday, April 03, 2015 - 06:02 am:

Hate to think of having a trailer stolen, but if it happens, it would be great to have some big black letters on TOP of the trailer (name, interesting word).....easy to identify from air or overpass....and a thief would never know it...

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Kenneth W DeLong on Friday, April 03, 2015 - 07:27 am:

Better yet ,If trailer is painted/detailed so it is never never stolen in the first place?? Bud in Wheeler,Mi.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By HARRY A DAW on Friday, April 03, 2015 - 03:41 pm:

Google Model T Decals. Amazon.com is listed as one of the options. That site has about any year Model T plus MTFCA decal. Prices are not real cheap but they are available in different sizes. Just ordered an enclosed trailer 8.5x18x9 so I may order one or two to start with. Have my Doolittle 7 x 16 flat bed that is in very good shape if anyone is looking.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Peter Kable - Kiama NSW OZ on Saturday, April 04, 2015 - 01:13 am:

I purchased an enclosed trailer in February.

Thought the same thing "missing one white enclosed trailer" not a good description so I placed a decal on the back. Its getting a MTFCA decal on the roof also.
decal

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Freighter Jim on Saturday, April 04, 2015 - 07:53 am:

On every one of my trailer doors .... :-)

Freighter Jim

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John Aldrich Orting Wa on Saturday, April 04, 2015 - 12:19 pm:

Jim,

I LIKE it!

Where I live I do not worry about thieves but when I am on the road everything is locked up as tight as I can make it.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John C Codman on Saturday, April 04, 2015 - 02:21 pm:

To Jack Daron, Rattlesnakes are a protected species in Massachusetts. You would need a special license to have them in your possession. A sign that you had them would probably be considered possession. MA is liberal, so you are right - they probably would fine you! :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Eugene Story on Saturday, April 04, 2015 - 04:10 pm:

I have a tall box trailer and I THOUGHT ABOUT HAVING A GRAPHIC DESIGNER MAKE ME A DECAL OF A WINDOW WITH A GIRAFFE HEAD AND NECK STICKING OUT

Gene

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Rick Goelz-Knoxville,TN on Saturday, April 04, 2015 - 06:49 pm:

I use an open trailer, nobody wants to steal them because they are so visible with a car sitting on them.

Rick

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John Aldrich Orting Wa on Saturday, April 04, 2015 - 07:05 pm:

Lest we forget.
My least favorite person... I have this sticker on the brief case I used while in the military.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mike Walker, NW AR on Saturday, April 04, 2015 - 08:44 pm:

Rick -- The open trailers also don't make good meth labs. :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Keith Gumbinger, Kenosha, WI on Saturday, April 04, 2015 - 09:07 pm:

John - I'd put a sticker like that on my car and trailer!!!

Ya, many of us who were in our armed forced will never forget her and what she did.

Keith (US Army 1960 to 63)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dan B on Saturday, April 04, 2015 - 09:48 pm:

Out of anyone, Peter has the best idea of putting a MTFCA sticker on the roof.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ted Dumas on Saturday, April 04, 2015 - 10:36 pm:

Folks steal open trailers too! Don't ask me how I know.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Michael Garrison - Rice Minnesota on Saturday, April 04, 2015 - 10:53 pm:

"Caution, device must be disarmed to avoid personal damage. For disarming procedure see owners manual".

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim Eckensviller on Sunday, April 05, 2015 - 12:55 am:

I would want a huge decal of the winged pyramid logo on the tailgate, maybe even minus the Ford script. It would attract the attention of only those who knew what it was.

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration