OT - about 1907-08, any B.C. Genealogy or postcard researchers (Herb)

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2015: OT - about 1907-08, any B.C. Genealogy or postcard researchers (Herb)
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Rob Heyen - Eastern Nebraska on Thursday, April 02, 2015 - 05:08 pm:

This is a postcard drawing showing a Model K with the caption "Aunt Mary's Joy Ride."

I believe the stamp was issued 1903-1908 (I have no idea how long stamps remained on the shelf before they might be used).

The recipient may be Miss Helen Shackleton? It looks as though the address it is sent to is "Cranbrook, Brittish Columbia."

The only Helen Shackelton I found a newspaper reference to from that period was to be married in Montreal in 1912. She was the sister of a well known explorer of the period, Sir Ernest Shackleton C.V.O.. However, I don't know that she ever resided or traveled to Canada, let alone Cranbrook.

Any other suggestions on the possible name, or knowledge of who the recipient may be?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Herb Iffrig on Thursday, April 02, 2015 - 07:15 pm:

Let me look I think I have another copy of that card.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dennis Seth - Ohio on Thursday, April 02, 2015 - 07:25 pm:

Rob,

I am amazed on how you find this stuff. I get up in the morning and can't even find my shoes!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dave Hjortnaes, Men Falls, WI on Thursday, April 02, 2015 - 09:35 pm:

It is raining, so Rob has nothing else to do. He cannot go out in the fields to plow. His wife is at work and the kids are in school. So he spends all his awake time roaming the internet.

At least he is not playing computer games all day. :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Herb Iffrig on Friday, April 03, 2015 - 12:05 am:

It took a while but I found it.
Too bad I don't have a copy of the back.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Garnet on Friday, April 03, 2015 - 07:23 am:

http://content.lib.sfu.ca/cdm/ref/collection/ceww/id/9

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Rob Heyen - Eastern Nebraska on Friday, April 03, 2015 - 08:16 am:

Thanks Garnet. It appears Miss Shackleton may have been in Canada as early as 1910. However, it also appears she was on the wrong side of the country to be the intended recipient of this card. I was guessing at the spelling of the name on the card, and suspect I don't have it correct.

Herb, thanks for finding your copy. I bought this original off eBay, and you are certainly entitled to use the back side copy for your collection.

Dennis, a hundred years ago I used to be paid to collect information about people and events (investigator). I wish we had the Internet resources then we have now.

Dave, :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Rick J. Gunter -- Sparta, Missouri, USA on Friday, April 03, 2015 - 10:22 am:

The divided back postcard began in 1907. Unfortunately, their is a stamp on the stamp box. If the stamp wasn't there, then the design of the stamp box would be another clue of its age. Also, the printing on your card is very high quality. It was probably printed in Germany before WWI as their color printing technology was better than any other country.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dick Lodge - St Louis MO on Friday, April 03, 2015 - 10:29 am:

A Google search for ["cranbrook bc" shackleton ] turned some listings by this realty company. You might try contacting them about the Cranbrook-Shackleton connection.

http://www.century21.ca/shackletonrealty

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Rob Heyen - Eastern Nebraska on Friday, April 03, 2015 - 12:06 pm:

Thanks guys. Dick, I'll try that. Rick, would this have been a widely distributed card? Any idea why they may have chosen a Ford "six?"

Always more to learn, thanks again,
Rob

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Rick J. Gunter -- Sparta, Missouri, USA on Friday, April 03, 2015 - 03:03 pm:

Rob,
Sorry, but I really don't know. I would guess that that card would not be common. I assume they chose the Ford "Six" because it was a really cool car for a "joy ride."

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Rob Heyen - Eastern Nebraska on Saturday, April 04, 2015 - 05:37 am:

Thanks For the postcard info Rick.

Thank you Herb for this Model K postcard copy. It's not easy to see but the car has a spotlight in addition to headlamps. Now to find out who the "Rhodes Bros." were:

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John C Codman on Saturday, April 04, 2015 - 02:25 pm:

As far as I know, stamps never expire - they are always worth their face value. If you were silly enough to do so, you could use the stamp shown on the original card today.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Stewart -Calif. on Saturday, April 04, 2015 - 02:43 pm:

This is really great info on the Model K. Thanks for sharing.
Mark

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By keith g barrier Savannah Tn. on Sunday, April 05, 2015 - 08:35 am:

Rob, may be talking about the Rhodes brothers of Rhodes department store in Tacoma Washington. Time line is right. KGB

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Rob Heyen - Eastern Nebraska on Sunday, April 05, 2015 - 09:54 am:

John, just thinking out loud, how long after this issue finished, might a person still have and use stamps. I'm guessing this postcard was sent before 1911, but just a guess.

Mark, Thank you.

Keith, I found ads and references to "Rhodes Bros.," with nothing showing cars or Ford in particular. And it could be brothers that owned a Ford six (although my guess is a business, the way it's referenced).

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Chris Paulsen - McPherson, KS on Sunday, April 05, 2015 - 11:57 am:

I think it is a relatively common card. I have one, and have had a couple others over the years. Here's the back of mine. Unfortunately, neither the note nor the postmark give much of a clue.

I'd guess there is nothing significant about having a Ford on it. I have quite a few similar postcards from the same era that use all different makes of cars.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Chris Paulsen - McPherson, KS on Sunday, April 05, 2015 - 12:06 pm:

Here are a couple more photos I have that may be of interest.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Rob Heyen - Eastern Nebraska on Sunday, April 05, 2015 - 12:52 pm:

Thanks Chris.
For me, the significance is that the Model K was well known and/or thought of to be included with other period cars on postcards. It would be good to now who the card maker was, and how many other cars were included in this series, as well as the dates the cards were made. All things I will probably never learn, although I should never say never. :-)

Thanks for the two great pics of the K runabout/roadster,
Rob

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By brass car guy on Sunday, April 05, 2015 - 03:46 pm:

Rob,
When Rhodes Bros closed and went out of business in the late 60's, I remember there being some very nice framed photos of their store on 2nd ave in Seattle.

I tried to buy them at the time and was told they were all being donated to the Seattle historical society, now known as the Museum of History and Industry. This museum is now relocated on Lake Union in Seattle.

The framed photos were as I remember at least 11x17 plus the frame size. As Rhodes was a prominent store of the time they were quite proud of the store front on 2nd ave with horseless carriages parked at the curb.

Good luck with your search,

brasscarguy

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Rob Heyen - Eastern Nebraska on Sunday, April 05, 2015 - 03:56 pm:

Thank you BCG.
Maybe Rhodes had a livery service or other reason the postcard sender said he received his first ride in an 07 "Ford six." If this is the same Rhodes Bros., maybe the pics you saw have a Model K in them?

I may try to call the Seattle historical society and followup.

Thanks again,
Rob

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration