"23 through "25 Windshield Visor

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2015: "23 through "25 Windshield Visor
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ronald L Babb - Tacoma, WA on Thursday, April 02, 2015 - 08:37 pm:

I just got the frame to replace the missing visor on my "23 Coupe and also the new cover from Lang's but - - I have never seen one and there were no instructions or pictures. Other than the stitching to close the cover on the frame, is anything also stitched or ?? I had heard someone say they had seen stitching along the ribs but I don't see anything in the few pictures I have found of original visors.
Any help would be appreciated.
Thanks!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dennis Plank - Three Way, TN on Thursday, April 02, 2015 - 11:06 pm:

I put a piece of waterproof upholstery board on top of the frame,then sewed the cover along the edge of the frame at the top, then trimmed all but 1/4" off. There are six wood screws that go through the top of the frame into the header above the windshield vertically. It turned out nice and tight and does not flap in the wind. I have seen them sewn around each rib and also seen them not sewn. I didn't want the seams because I was afraid it might be more apt to get wet inside. If you want pictures, let me know.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Richard Eagle Ida Fls on Friday, April 03, 2015 - 11:57 am:

I installed this 12 years ago on my '25 Tudor. The black upholstery thread has bleached out but shows the stitching better. The last 2 are old Ford ads showing how the stitching accentuates the ribs in the visor frame.

Rich

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Richard Eagle Ida Fls on Friday, April 03, 2015 - 12:07 pm:

Screws discussed here.

http://www.mtfca.com/discus/messages/411944/489047.html

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ronald L Babb - Tacoma, WA on Friday, April 03, 2015 - 12:27 pm:

Thanks for all of the pictures and links. Of course, now a couple of other questions after reviewing that info. The shade support rods are riveted on and in the pictures, the rods are on top of the cover. Did you re-rivet them or use screws? One picture in the link looks like there is an intermediary piece between the top of the shade and the bottom of the top. Does the shade screw directly to the car's top or is there some piece between them?
Thanks!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Richard Eagle Ida Fls on Friday, April 03, 2015 - 12:51 pm:

As I recall I used some screws rater than rivets. I ground both the screw head and the nut to make them look like rivets. There is a sheet metal cover under the wood that that the top material tacks to. The wood screws go through the visor frame, through the sheet metal and into the wood.

Not sure of your comment ".....the rods are on top of the cover." They are mounted on the bottom side of the visor.

I would be happy to take more photos or answer any questions in a few day when I get back from Boise.

Best of Luck.

Rich

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ronald L Babb - Tacoma, WA on Friday, April 03, 2015 - 01:01 pm:

Thanks! The one picture looked almost like there was another thin board between the visor frame and the car's top. It appears then, that there isn't any addition part needed to screw the frame to the bottom of the car roof.

I meant in my comment ".....the rods are on top of the cover." that the shade cover material was sandwiched between the rod and the frame.

I was also thinking of using screws and maybe acorn nuts to give it a more finished look.

Thanks again.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Richard Eagle Ida Fls on Friday, April 03, 2015 - 01:08 pm:

Still here. Screws and nuts might be a better choice as riveting without the proper tools could smash the fabric. I was trying to make mine look original.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ronald L Babb - Tacoma, WA on Sunday, April 05, 2015 - 10:19 pm:

Hi Richard,

I was re-reading your posting from last year and noticed that you used 10X1 oval head wood screws in the 8 locations, the four holding the supports rods into the windshield frame and the 6 into the underside of the roof. Just to confirm that 1 inch screws are the right ones in all locations.
i am tracking down an upholstery shop to do the stitching and hope to install it soon.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Michael Thomas - Centerville, Iowa on Sunday, April 05, 2015 - 11:12 pm:

I have a 25 coupe and a shovel rivet matched the original exactly. Shovel rivet has a rather large head.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By keith g barrier Savannah Tn. on Monday, April 06, 2015 - 06:57 am:

I used brass rivets on mine, easy to peen over and looks correct I suppose. KGB

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration