OT - T-Bucket on eBay

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2015: OT - T-Bucket on eBay
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Seth from NC on Friday, April 03, 2015 - 07:14 am:

I like this one. A lot. Great name, great theme. Probably the only thing I'd change on the whole car is maybe tilt the steering wheel back just a bit - seems like it'd be awkward to drive. Gorgeous paint. And I LOVE flat head Ford engines in a t-bucket!

http://www.ebay.com/itm/301579265331?_trksid=p2060353.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STR K%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

I always look to see what T's are for sale on eBay and 99% of the t-buckets do nothing for me. But this one grabbed me. I especially like the Moonshine theme with the gas tank, that's slick.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Roger Karlsson, southern Sweden on Friday, April 03, 2015 - 08:15 am:

I like colorful 1950's / early sixties style rods, but I don't think this one would be comfortable to drive, plus the price is just too much..

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Seth from NC on Friday, April 03, 2015 - 08:18 am:

I'd LOVE to have the $$$ to buy this car.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Seth from NC on Friday, April 03, 2015 - 08:22 am:

Lol Roger - I think the steering wheel would be right at my teeth. Even if there wasn't a good way to tilt it back, if it was about half that tall I'd be ok.

As for the money . . . I can only assume that if he gets $32k it will be a tiny fraction of what it cost to build this car. If I could buy it, it wouldn't be about the money anyway.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Eric Hylen- Central Minnesota on Friday, April 03, 2015 - 08:36 am:

How'd that old song go? "They say that looks don't count for much. Well, there goes your proof." I guess there's no accounting for taste.

The car does nothing for me. Ii'm not opposed to hod rods, but I've never liked this particular look. The angle of the body in relation to the frame makes me feel like something's broken. I'm in agreement with you fellas about the steering column too. As far as T Buckets go, I prefer the looks of the track T look.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Seth from NC on Friday, April 03, 2015 - 08:44 am:

If you look at the original Kookie Kar, and similar but a bit less Tommy Ivo's car - they both have a lot of tilt to the body as it sits on the frame. This one might be a touch more, but it's in the same realm.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Derek Kiefer - Mantorville, MN on Friday, April 03, 2015 - 11:29 am:

I like traditional hotrods, but I'm with Eric on this one... I really don't like channelling a body so it sits lower than the bottom of the frame. That always looks odd to me.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Seth from NC on Friday, April 03, 2015 - 11:34 am:

I believe the saying is that "The measure of another man's intelligence is how much he agrees with you."

You guys are all dummies. LOL =P Just kidding. I like it. That's all that matters.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ron in Central Massachusetts on Friday, April 03, 2015 - 11:54 am:

Unfortunate that an actual improved model touring body was harmed during the creation of this vehicle. In the '40s and '50s, there was no other option than chopping up a T if this was your thing. But I note from the listing that this was a replica built in '95. Since the mid-late 80s, fiberglass offerings for these types bodies have been plentiful - same is true with '32 Fords. Sophistication of design and detail in the fiberglass bodies is at an all time now - state of the art. For '32s, you can even purchase a steel replica body now that is a pretty damn good copy of the original. 60 years ago, there was no alternative but cutting up a surviving car. Today, I'd say, with all the repro body options available, I'd say there is no excuse for destroying one.

Sadly, if you look on Craigslist or on EBay these days, you will often come across nicely restored running gears with a seller's description that the body was harvested for a hot rod project and they are trying to recoup some of their costs by selling the remnants. I know they'll be people who read this and come back with "it's the owner's vehicle, he can do what he wants with it" or "one less on the road makes mine more valuable," but I think it's an absolute crime.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ron in Central Massachusetts on Friday, April 03, 2015 - 11:57 am:

I know there'll be people....

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Richard Eagle Ida Fls on Friday, April 03, 2015 - 12:16 pm:

I have had one of those on my list for 50 years. I would use a "23" glass body. Somehow the "Street Rodder" in me keeps getting overridden. It is sad to see old car parts cut up but there are worse thing people can do.

Rich

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Eric Hylen- Central Minnesota on Friday, April 03, 2015 - 12:57 pm:

Seth,
No harm done. It's okay for reasonable people to have differing tastes. I personally have never gotten too excited about Model T's as hot rods. I like them as speedsters.

It sounds as though you're as excited about this T bucket as I would be if the American Grafitti Duece Coupe came up on eBay. Now, that's a look I can really appreciate.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Burger in Spokane on Friday, April 03, 2015 - 03:20 pm:

This is a case of "someone else's car" for me. Hey, if that's their
bag, then good for them. I remember these as 50's-60's hotrods,
but preferred all the new stuff ... XKE's, GTO's, Corvettes, Mopar
muscle. Was still holding on to my pleasure in seeing early cars
in original form. Cars like this just didn't do anything for me.

Now, it is just a matter of nostalgia for the time when these were
being made and driven as regular cars by the hotrod contingent. I
still have no use for one for myself, but they are fun to see around.
But I'd much rather see an old rusty TT lumbering down the road
with a load of chickens. :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Derek Kiefer - Mantorville, MN on Friday, April 03, 2015 - 04:15 pm:

If I ever own a hotrod, it will have to look something like this... but with a flathead.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Seth from NC on Friday, April 03, 2015 - 04:30 pm:

I have a soft spot for this fairly specific type of T bucket (late 50s), like I said above - I feel like this one is pretty authentic in its approach.

My dream car is a '67 Mustang Fastback. There's just something about it.

I also really like the 67 Pontiac GTO - those over/under headlights look so good.

I can really appreciate a '32 Ford Highboy and a '34 Ford 3 window coupe might be the most beautiful hot rod there is. I don't have any particular burning desire to have one though. I will definitely have that Mustang one day though.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By kep on Friday, April 03, 2015 - 07:31 pm:

This was what some of those empty rusty shells with grass growing through them, no frame or parts inside are for is it not?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Chris Landry, Hudson, NH on Friday, April 03, 2015 - 09:10 pm:

First car I owned was a 67 GTO. Sold it when I was building a house and needed a truck way more than a toy car - and always regretted it. Of course, that was also right before the prices skyrocketed!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Burger in Spokane on Friday, April 03, 2015 - 09:36 pm:

I can't put my finger on it, but a major point of attraction to old
(pre-1930) cars are the freestanding bits of gee-gaw like lights and
ornamentation. After 1930, it was the styling trend to box in the
fenders and mold everything into a blob. After 36, Ford had pretty
much achieved total blobulation. Not a good thing to my eye. But
then again, I am the guy who doesn't like the 26-27 T fenders because
they are too rounded !

Never could understand why hotrodders always wanted to take all that
freestanding cool stuff and smooth it off like an egg. To lose the wood
spokes and fenders off a T is just plain wrong ! But seriously, it was
the times and I get that. Just not my cup of meat. Someone forgot
to set up my trust fund, so it pays to be picky, as I can only afford so
many "dream cars".

For GTO, I like the 64, 66, and 69's. The forward-leaning ass end
on the 65 and 67 doesn't work for me and the tail lights in the bumper
of the 68's .... do not like that styling concept. I nearly bought a 66
convertible. 389, tri-power, 4-speed. Turquoise with white top and
interior. A nice used car. $3400 in 1983. Rather, I have a 66 Coronet
convertible. Black with black top, white bench interior, 440 Magnum,
4-speed. Another nice used car. Traded the old guy a $1000 3/4 ton
Power Wagon for it. No regrets. :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John Noonan - Norton, MA. on Friday, April 03, 2015 - 09:45 pm:

Milner's 5 window coupe in my opinion, will always be the epitome of the perfect rod..its timeless.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=muCFwfTKPEY

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wLvKqUjvYXQ

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Fred Schrope - Upland, IN on Friday, April 03, 2015 - 10:04 pm:

Two questions:

How do you license something like that in California? Isn't there an exhaust test?

Where are the front brakes?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Clayton Swanson on Friday, April 03, 2015 - 10:09 pm:

i have a hankerin for a 34 ford coupe. i thought they were too expensive 30 years ago and decided to wait untill they triple in price. the problem is you cant buy what i want, a plain old ford coupe like a kid in about 1950 got one from the old guy down the street and took it home and cut the muffler off, took off the fenders, and now you got a hot rod. there are hundreds for sale, i look every day, and if you want 700 hp with a blower and louvers on every square inch of tin and a chrome jag rear end with purple flames, go buy one. but what i want you can not buy

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John Noonan - Norton, MA. on Friday, April 03, 2015 - 10:29 pm:

Fred, I'm sure such an historic and valuable car is probably never driven on the street, which is a complete shame. Maybe some of the Cali folks can weight in on if this could be driven on the road by any Grandfather clause. As far as the front brakes, it looks like some huge front drums with a huge spacer to clear the rims.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Chuck Hoffman - Mokelumne Hill, Calif. on Friday, April 03, 2015 - 10:31 pm:

Clayton,
I sold my '34 a few years ago. It was pretty much a '60's style rod. You're right, I got a lot of money for it. I can guarantee you, what you want IS out there, but you may need to mortgage the house to buy it.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Clayton Swanson on Friday, April 03, 2015 - 11:53 pm:

chuck that looks just about perfect, why didnt you save it for me!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Pat Clark-Deer Lodge, Tn on Saturday, April 04, 2015 - 10:04 am:

I bought my '27 Coupe body from someone that had a barns full of T's, & A's cars and parts. He tried to sell it for years. No one wanted it. It was body was to be a hot rod. It was filled with bondo to look good, just don't tap on it, it would make a thud sound. No on wanted it to fix as a stocker, way to much to fix. So I bought it. and I am fixing it right. I d not have a chassis for it, I had a different one to use, but it was stolen! I also bought a pile of body parts at the same time to put on it.

I believe I can do anything I want to it (stock, hot rod, yard art, etc), Because it was a total pile of crap with primered mud on it, to make it look good. It wouldn't sell, and was heading to the scrapers. All the sub-frame cross members were gone, and replaced with 1x2 steel, the rear one was all rust. The cowl was even shortened. But I am making it into a good body again, and I know, no one else would have ever touched it.

I would like to build a '26-27 T roadster pickup. I have pictures of just what I want to build. It has a '26-67 frame with '39-40 axles, juice brakes, '39-40 tranny in it, with the flathead. I know a guy that his Dad been building one.

I have been looking for some cheap parts to start to collect, to build one.

Pat

Here's pictures of what I want to build.

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration