Steering Column Question

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2015: Steering Column Question
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John C Codman on Friday, April 03, 2015 - 10:11 am:

I have a 1927 touring with an accessory locking steering column. I would like to inspect and lubricate the steering gears at the top of the column. I have no idea how to access the gears. The column lock completely encloses the top of the column, and I don't have a key. I purchased the car from the estate of a deceased person, so finding the key is not an option. Any ideas?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Rick J. Gunter -- Sparta, Missouri, USA on Friday, April 03, 2015 - 10:14 am:

You may need to hire a locksmith to pick it or drill it.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Gregush Portland Oregon on Friday, April 03, 2015 - 10:17 am:

Without brand name or good photos don't know if anyone can help. It's not a Ford item and there were number of different units sold aftermarket.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Seth from NC on Friday, April 03, 2015 - 10:19 am:

Yep - agree with Rick. A good locksmith will pick it and then make you some keys for it.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Gregush Portland Oregon on Friday, April 03, 2015 - 10:20 am:

I would venture to day it's not locked now. He needs to remove the assembly to look and service the gear box under it.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Warren Webb on Friday, April 03, 2015 - 10:39 am:

Post pictures and we can help

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dan Hatch on Friday, April 03, 2015 - 11:22 am:

Please note: Most of these "Locking Wheel" devices DO NOT LOCK the wheel. They make the wheel "free wheel". As in you have no steering control. They have been known to "unlock" while you drive. There was a local T guy a few years ago had one do this at around 40MPH and he ended upside down in a ditch. Please be careful with this unit. Dan

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John C Codman on Saturday, April 04, 2015 - 08:41 am:

My long-term goal is to replace or overhaul the column without the lock.

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration