1926 Model T Ford that my 11 year old wants to drive !!!!

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2015: 1926 Model T Ford that my 11 year old wants to drive !!!!
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Warren Henderson, Dunbarton, NH on Friday, April 03, 2015 - 11:13 am:

Halley my 11 year old daughter insists that I allow her to drive my '26 Model T coupe, but what fun would that be for me? How can I make her understand that dad needs to have the fun of driving his model T. I don't think that I'm being unreasonable, after all when it's time to work on or wash / wax the T she is not interested. But just start Seabiscuit or Sambuca up and she's right there demanding a ride and now she even wants to drive !!!!

Happy motoring,

Warren

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZRC5FiNJAvU&feature=youtu.be

Halley

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Seth from NC on Friday, April 03, 2015 - 11:21 am:

HAHAHAHA Warren - I was thinking "Hey 11 is old enough to drive a T out in the field or something, as long as they can reach the pedals . . ." but you mean your 4 legged daughter. =)

I have one of those myself. Her name is Mae - we call her The Princess because she's so regal (and spoiled). She prefers to ride in the truck because it has heating and air conditioning.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tony Bowker, Ramona, CA on Friday, April 03, 2015 - 11:26 am:

Several years ago I told my Grandson that he could drive the Speedster when he could reach the pedals. This worked for quite a while until the Horseless Rodeo when he was 11. He came along as usual but suddenly announced he could reach all three pedals. Oh Oh I had no good excuse, so he drove in several events. The only scary moment was when he insisted on parking next to a rather nice Rolls Royce.....
Since then he has been the winning navigator on the last two Arizona Speedster Run and going for a third later this month.
Good lunch to these kids, they are the future of the hobby.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Seth from NC on Friday, April 03, 2015 - 11:27 am:

Here she is in the truck.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Warren Henderson, Dunbarton, NH on Friday, April 03, 2015 - 11:34 am:

Seth, thanks for sharing Mae, she looks all set for her 1st driving lesson. I'm going to use Tony's advise and tell Halley she can drive when she can reach the three peddles.

Happy motoring,

Warren

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Charlie B actually in Toms River N.J. on Friday, April 03, 2015 - 11:42 am:

Mikey's unhappy about not getting a ride.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Willie K Cordes on Friday, April 03, 2015 - 11:54 am:

Warren, I do not have any of those 4 leg possible drivers.
Many years ago when my sons were 6 to 7 years old, I started letting them sit on my lap and help steer and use the throttle and spark levers. We did this driving in the pasture with plenty of open space,
By the time their legs were long enough to reach the pedals, they knew how to do all the other things to drive a T.
That did have them hooked on Model T Fords and they still are. (Now in the middle 30's)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Roar Sand on Friday, April 03, 2015 - 12:13 pm:

Reach the pedals is one thing, - how about pushing them down with the required force?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Wayne Sheldon, Grass Valley, CA on Friday, April 03, 2015 - 06:31 pm:

I have no advice to offer about the four legged family (although they are adorable). But actual daughters or sons should be allowed to limited and controlled driving of a model T (maybe even modern cars?) as soon as they are able and want to.
I COULD NOT EVER recommend what my parents did with me, but it was great! I was driving my grandfathers Ford 9N orchard tractors, even pulling trailers, when I was six years old. Sometimes my father or grandfather would be with me, sometimes I drove solo, sometimes even unsupervised. Always with their permission.
But I was a strange kid. They knew I was responsible enough and would not act like a kid and do anything foolish when it counted.
Drive carefully, and enjoy, W2

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim Wrenn-Monroeville OH on Friday, April 03, 2015 - 07:14 pm:

Well as long as this thread is going to the dogs...here's my little princess daughter. Yes, she's (ahem)in a Model A, it's only 'cause she really can't make the leap up into the T without scratching the crap out of the running board and splash apron, plus we don't quite trust her out in an open car. All I have to do is start the dang thing in the barn and she hears it in the house and goes ape. She'd take the drivers seat if I let her, but she does love that big back seat with those huge windows. Thinks she's a queen.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By James M. Riedy, Sandusky, Ohio on Saturday, April 04, 2015 - 12:29 am:

This was taken five years ago on new years eve down by the frozen Sandusky bay. Madison still loves riding along especially with the top down. Jim

mad

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Warren Henderson, Dunbarton, NH on Saturday, April 04, 2015 - 06:32 am:

Roar, Tim and James thanks to all for sharing your thoughts and photos.
Charlie, I think your dog is thinking "what's the hold-up".
Wllie, I had the chance to teach my grandsons how to drive mt '17 and what a great feeling that was.
Wayne, with out giving away my age I think some of us older guys took on more responsibility at a younger age.

Happy motoring,

Warren

teaching 2 grandsons how to drive my '17

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration