Bolt torque specifications

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2015: Bolt torque specifications
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Michael Indy 22 on Friday, April 03, 2015 - 11:33 am:

How tight do you torque the crankshaft, rod and head bolts? I didn't see anything in my Ford Service book and tend to over tighten things? Thanks for your help!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jack Daron - Brownsburg IN on Friday, April 03, 2015 - 02:07 pm:

In short,there are no torque values. I usually tighten the mains with an original wrench and then snug it to where the cotter pin holes line up. Rod,I use maybe 30-35 lbs,(an 8 inch wrench)The general point on head bolts is 50-55.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Kohnke Rebabbitting on Friday, April 03, 2015 - 02:16 pm:

Crank shaft main bolts, 80 foot pounds, and then pull to the key hole.

Rod bolts 30 foot pounds, and then pull to key hole if needed.

Heads bolts, what Jack said.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Michael Indy 22 on Friday, April 03, 2015 - 03:15 pm:

Thanks guys!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ken Kopsky, Lytle TX on Friday, April 03, 2015 - 04:11 pm:

The Model T predates SAE torque standards for bolts. Any torque given today for Model Ts is no more than a SWAG. :-)

Apply this sticker to your torque wench as a reminder.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Frank van Ekeren (Australia) on Friday, April 03, 2015 - 06:49 pm:

80lbs might be a bit much for a 1/2" bolt.

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration