Door Lock on 1926 Tudor

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2015: Door Lock on 1926 Tudor
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John Aldrich Orting Wa on Friday, April 03, 2015 - 04:49 pm:

Trying to get the OLD busted up lock out. The attached photos will show my progress. Except for the dis-assembly of the door latch, the outside looked as it does now without the cylinder there.

My thought is that the "pot metal" has corroded and is now stuck to the door requiring that it be "forcibly" removed.

Or am I missing something?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John Page on Friday, April 03, 2015 - 05:20 pm:

John,

Some of the door locks have a set screw that holds the cylinder in the door. I am not familiar with the Tudor locks, but could that be one circled .

Best regards, John Page , Australia.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By mike peterson on Friday, April 03, 2015 - 05:32 pm:

yep need to remove that little screw

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John Aldrich Orting Wa on Friday, April 03, 2015 - 09:20 pm:

There was no set screw nor threads of any kind in that area.

I managed to get the old lock out and it was as I figured, old, rotten pot metal which came out in pieces.

Installation of the new lock will be another "Model T Learning Curve".

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John Aldrich Orting Wa on Friday, April 03, 2015 - 09:32 pm:

Does anyone know where I can find an Illustrated Parts Breakdown of the passenger door on a 1926 Tudor?

I'm trying to determine what I need to repair this lock.

Thanks.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John Zibell on Sunday, April 05, 2015 - 03:43 pm:

John, Lang's has the door lock https://www.modeltford.com/item/7023DL.aspx It is held in place by a set screw. See the pictures of my 1926 Tudor passenger door below.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John Aldrich Orting Wa on Sunday, April 05, 2015 - 05:20 pm:

John Z

Thanks! It looks as if the set screw actually "rides" in the access hole in the door. True?

My lock collar has been "driven inward" so I will have to push it into position from the inside of the door in order to install the set screw which I found at Brattons'. If the set screw holds the lock in place then all is right with the world!

Once again, thanks John. Looks like a nice car!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By john kuehn on Sunday, April 05, 2015 - 08:16 pm:

The lock on the 24-25 closed cars is held in the same way. Been there and done the same thing on my 25 Coupe.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John Zibell on Sunday, April 05, 2015 - 10:23 pm:

John Aldrich, the lock body needs to be installed from the outside. So if necessary, repair the door sheet metal to get the outer surface correct. The set screw is just a 10x32. My entire assembly was missing, so I had to shorten a screw for proper fit. If memory serves me correctly, the lock body has a flat the screw contacts to make it secure, so the screw must be fitted correctly.

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration