Question on 1927 steering column.

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2015: Question on 1927 steering column.
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John C Codman on Friday, April 03, 2015 - 05:42 pm:

I posted this earlier today, but it disappeared. I have a 1927 touring car with a steering column that has an aftermarket steering lock. I purchased the car from an estate, and there is no key for the lock. I want to inspect/lubricate the steering gears at the top of the column. There doesn't seem to be any way to remove the lock/gearset surrounding housing without a Sawzall. Any suggestions?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Kohnke Rebabbitting on Friday, April 03, 2015 - 05:45 pm:

lock smith

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jim Patrick on Friday, April 03, 2015 - 10:18 pm:

I was in exacty the same predicament 45 years ago when I bought my '26 coupe in 1970. It too had a locking gear cover that was missing he key. I was only 16 making $1.60 per hour bagging groceries, so I couldn't afford a locksmith. I ended up cutting off the locking gear cover. Using a hacksaw, I made a cut down each side of the cover until the threads of the gear housing were showing. You can look into the crack to determine this. Then I took a cold chisel, positioned it in the crack and hit it with a hammer, which popped the crack open the rest of the way. I pried it open more with a screw driver until I was able to lift the cover off. I replaced it with a standard, non-locking gear cover that I found in the trunk with a bunch of extra parts and tools. The standard cover screws onto the gear housing and is held in place by a set screw. Jim Patrick

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jim Patrick on Friday, April 03, 2015 - 10:21 pm:

PS. These days, I would use a Dremel tool equipped with a cutting disc. Jim Patrick

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John Zibell on Friday, April 03, 2015 - 10:25 pm:

Look to see if there is a pin driven between the cap and column, or a screw. I had pin in mine that I had to drill out, then replaced it with a screw on assembly.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Friday, April 03, 2015 - 10:27 pm:

Of course, if the locking cover is a rare accessory that would bring hundreds on eBay, a locksmith may be the way to go. :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John Zibell on Friday, April 03, 2015 - 10:30 pm:

Found some older threads.

http://www.mtfca.com/discus/messages/29/25381.html?1172706748

http://www.mtfca.com/discus/messages/257047/261292.html

If you google "steering wheel lock mtfca.com" you will get these and more.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John C Codman on Saturday, April 04, 2015 - 09:09 am:

I do have photos, but can't seem to make them smaller then 640kb. The site won't accept anything larger then 250kb.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Strange - Hillsboro, MO on Saturday, April 04, 2015 - 09:11 am:

Try using www.picresize.com to resize your pictures to a file size under 194K. :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John C Codman on Saturday, April 04, 2015 - 02:11 pm:

I hope that this will fit

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By george house . . .caldwell county, TX on Sunday, April 05, 2015 - 09:06 am:

I think I may have a locking mechanism like that on one of my Ts. We're traveling now but will be home tomorrow. I'll look and, if same, I'll loan you the key to see if it unlocks yours.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John C Codman on Sunday, April 05, 2015 - 09:59 am:

Be careful of the site suggested by Mark Strange. I'm sure that he didn't intend it, but along with the program that contains a virus. It has hijacked my homepage, and I'm getting popups by the score. It has even deleted or hidden my Norton anti-virus program.
To George - Thank you. It's a Decker lock and I can find no obvious pins holding it together.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Strange - Hillsboro, MO on Sunday, April 05, 2015 - 12:07 pm:

Thanks for the heads up, John. I have not had any problems with that picture resizing site before, I apologize if the site now harbors malware. :-(

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Tomaso - Milton,WA on Sunday, April 05, 2015 - 12:28 pm:

I have a Decker and there appears to be 2 retaining pins opposite each other - I'll try to post some photos later today.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John Zibell on Sunday, April 05, 2015 - 12:42 pm:

John,

If you can't unscrew the cap, the pins are there. They may not be obvious and you may need to scrape some to see them. After drilling out the pins, you can tap the cap holes and use screws to secure the cap.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John C Codman on Monday, April 06, 2015 - 06:07 pm:

George House, I tried to send you a PM, but the site wouldn't let me. It gave me five different reasons why I couldn't send the message - all invalid.

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration