I still got a leaner

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2015: I still got a leaner
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John Leffler on Friday, April 03, 2015 - 08:01 pm:

Ok ! I replaced the rear spring tie bolt with the new one with the larger head . Put it all back together and it still leans a little. Would it be correct to shim the body up at this point to get the old girl level ?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jerry Davis Houston TX. on Friday, April 03, 2015 - 08:06 pm:

Shim by all means. Did mine years ago and she straight and narrow. Jerry.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bill dugger on Friday, April 03, 2015 - 08:40 pm:

John: On my Depot hack I had a leaner! What I did was to loosen the large u bolts that holds the spring to the frame. I tightened up the opposite side from the lean. I did that till the body came into level. I checked the front and rear until both were level and shook the body left and right multiple time, (rocking) and then took it for a street ride with bumps and came back and checked the body for level and all was in level. So that is my short story and it may be worth checking to see if that will help. The way my problem was found was a friend was standing looking at the "hack" and he told me that it was not level, so that was how I found out. So as to save you time and heartache you might want to try what I described above. And let me know if the is any where close to the solution or I was just blowing smoke in the air.
These beast are fun to play with and more fun to drive. So have fun and as one of the guy's on here says go out and enjoy the ride!!!!!OPP'S one thing I forgot to tell you make sure all the times are at the same air pressure. This should be the FIRST thing to check!!!!!!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Norman T. Kling on Friday, April 03, 2015 - 09:49 pm:

Several reasons a car will lean. 1. Parked on uneven surface. 2. Thru bolt not centered in hole in rear cross member. 3. U bolts tightened unevenly from one side to the other. 4. Rear cross member bent or broken. 5. Uneven weight from one side to the other of the car. 6. Low tire on one side. 7. Spring bent or broken leaf on one side.

Can't think of any others.
Norm

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Burger in Spokane on Friday, April 03, 2015 - 09:53 pm:

Just go around corners so the car leans into them ! :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Vince M on Friday, April 03, 2015 - 09:55 pm:

Check thru bolt on front springs

Vince

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Dewey, N. California on Saturday, April 04, 2015 - 03:59 am:

Spring to frame pad could be bad too. Maybe one of the end 'wedges' is missing.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dave Huson, Berthoud, Co. on Saturday, April 04, 2015 - 05:04 am:

John: The number one reason a T will lean on side oR the other is SHACKLES ARE TOO TIGHT. A car going around a corner will lean into the corner and if the SCHACKLES are too tight the car CAN NOT CORRECT itself. Back off on your shackles.

picture

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Will Copeland - Melbourne Florida on Saturday, April 04, 2015 - 09:42 am:

The reason my car leaned was I had a broken crossmember.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dennis Seth - Ohio on Saturday, April 04, 2015 - 01:43 pm:

I went to school with a girl that had one leg shorter then the other...Her name was Eileen :-)

So I guess you could just rename your car..Eileen

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Noel D. Chicoine, MD, Pierre, SD on Saturday, April 04, 2015 - 09:08 pm:

A lady I know from work is named "Eileen" and she married a "List"!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Eugene Story on Sunday, April 05, 2015 - 03:24 am:

If the wife rides with you put a big heavy tool box on your side running board. If she don't ride take the tool box off. Have a good answer if she ask why you take the tool box off and on.

Gene

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Colin Mavins Winnipeg,Canada on Sunday, April 05, 2015 - 08:53 am:

Hello John This may sound odd but our 12 T had a lean and we were rebuilding the diff so I was going to replace the rear spring hoping it would square the car. then we were exchanging diffs I used the original rear spring but turned it around and now the car sits square. I don't know why It must be a T thing,somtimes you have to do the odd thing. cheers Colin

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration