Start To A Speedster? Rajo Head

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2015: Start To A Speedster? Rajo Head
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Howard D. Dennis on Friday, April 03, 2015 - 08:48 pm:

http://forums.aaca.org/f119/rare-rajo-model-c-35-overhead-390688.html

Howard Dennis

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Erik Barrett in Auburn Ca. on Friday, April 03, 2015 - 09:52 pm:

Pretty good price for an 8 valve Rajo, if it's in reasonably good condition. Not as fast as the B model, but looks just as cool. Great speedster head. Will need high compression pistons to run its best.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Les Schubert on Friday, April 03, 2015 - 09:55 pm:

Eric
So what would be a good piston choice?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Erik Barrett in Auburn Ca. on Friday, April 03, 2015 - 11:58 pm:

I would use the high compression pistons available from the parts vendors. They don't work real well with flatheads as they create an inefficient combustion chamber. I have used them with good results in Rajo overheads. These old heads had low compression ratios for the same reason everything else did, low quality fuel. Raising the compression using the high dome pistons helps with modern gas to increase performance in lower RPM ranges. Beyond that, the higher volumetric efficiency of the overhead kicks in and you are going like a bat out of hell in a model T. A well built flathead will run right along an overhead until the overhead begins to really breathe. At that point you had better hang on for the ride. The thing is, overheads just look cool.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Les Schubert on Saturday, April 04, 2015 - 12:41 am:

My old Sherman headed speedster topped out at 100 mph. The guy I sold it to has the speeding ticket to prove it!!!
BIG cam and 4 intake ports. Stromberg 94 carb. Counter weighted A pressure oiled crank

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration