Drive Shaft Sleeve Installation

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2015: Drive Shaft Sleeve Installation
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tom Quigley on Saturday, April 04, 2015 - 01:14 pm:

I am having a devil of a time getting this sleeve on the drive shaft. Local machine shops cannot accommodate the 5' long shaft in their poxy presses. I tried to do it but cannot seem to do it either.
I live in the N. VA area. Any help or info where I can have this done?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Hal Schedler, Sacramento on Saturday, April 04, 2015 - 01:52 pm:

A long time ago I had to do that. I heated the sleeve and cooled the shaft (with Freon, R-12). That's when I paid 29 cents a pound for freon. Now the stuff sells (retail) for $100.00 or more per pound. R-134a may do the same thing and it's available in parts stores.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Kevin Holland, Utah on Saturday, April 04, 2015 - 02:04 pm:

Hals idea about cooling is great. I know when you put a starter tooth ring on a Model A flywheel; they say to pack the flywheel with dry ice and heat the ring on a barbeque. Freon is pricey, but dry ice is a better deal. Use gloves to handle the dry ice. If you don't it can burn your skin.

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration