Fan Belt

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2015: Fan Belt
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jim Daudert on Saturday, April 04, 2015 - 02:19 pm:

I am new to the group and to Model T. I recently purchased a 1913 Light Delivery from a museum. The original leather belt is very cracked and worn. I purchased a new on online. The problem is it doesn't fit. It's a 23" belt, and the string method measures 24 3/4". There aren't any belts for this size. Can I assume that the fan pulley (although brass) isn't original? I see I need to purchase the MTFCA repair manuals. I can't find any pics of the engine online, but I may be missing parts on the engine. There isn't any shop close to my area (Naples, FL), that specializes in the Model T (at least I haven't found any to date). Any advice will be very welcome. I have a long way to go! Happy Easter.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Val Soupios on Saturday, April 04, 2015 - 03:06 pm:

Jim there are so many variables that it would be very hard to diagnose without some pictures of what you have. The pulley may be correct but the fan bracket may be wrong. Also, have you adjusted the tensioning bolt correctly. Belts come 23, 25-7/8, 27 and 32 for cars without water pumps. What does the old belt measure?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Gregush Portland Oregon on Saturday, April 04, 2015 - 03:10 pm:

Could be several things; the crankshaft pulley is the wrong one (not sure if the later larger pulley will even fit with the narrow nose pan), the fan arm is the wrong one or it just needs to be adjusted so it drops down. The brass pulley on the fan should be correct. You might get an owners manual that is for your year.

https://www.modeltford.com/item/T2.aspx

https://www.modeltford.com/item/FSL23.aspx

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dan Treace, North FL on Saturday, April 04, 2015 - 03:13 pm:

Jim

Can only assume (if original parts for a '13 serial number engine) are on the motor, then the arm needs adjustment or maybe bent? The fan belt runs around the lower pulley (fixed) and over the fan pulley, which is mounted to the arm for adjustment.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jim Daudert on Saturday, April 04, 2015 - 03:27 pm:

Thank you for the help. I believe the arm is in need of adjustment. Looking at it from the front it is off center to the left. I think someone at the museum moved it to paint it. Many thanks. Can't wait to get this on the road!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Eugene Story on Saturday, April 04, 2015 - 03:45 pm:

Look up how to lace a flat belt for a small lathe, on Google. buy some wax linen thread, click on lacing on u tube, Buy a leather belt that is to long cut the belt wrap it around pulley, cut off square, it's so simple a monkey can do it.

Gene

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jim Daudert on Saturday, April 04, 2015 - 03:56 pm:

I thought everything was ready to go when I bought it, but not the case. It looks like the engine has been switched, engine #507,610 is 1914, (not a '12 or '13 engine) and the body plate #273,154. Somewhat disappointed since it's not as original as I thought. I have my work cut out for me. I have pics, and am trying to figure out how to post them from my iPhone.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Val Soupios on Saturday, April 04, 2015 - 04:34 pm:

Jim, when you adjust the tension it may or may not line up square with the radiator but that does not matter. Just don't tighten it up too much. The fan will work with very little tension and the more tension you have the faster the hub will wear out on those brass pulleys. Also, check to be sure that the blades are tight on the hub as they are riveted on and are notorious for throwing fan blades through the radiator.

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration