OT-Frank Kulick findings

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2015: OT-Frank Kulick findings
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Rob Heyen - Eastern Nebraska on Saturday, April 04, 2015 - 07:04 pm:

The two year "quest" to find relatives of Frank Kulick is bearing fruit. Thanks to forum members, and another Model K owner, we've found a few things I have never seen before regarding Kulick and his time at Ford. Mr. Kulick is reported to have drove the first working Model K as a demonstrator at the New York Auto Show, January, 1906. I have not seen this photo before, showing Kulick at the wheel of an early K. A description with the photo says the picture was taken in New York at the auto show. If so, this is the earliest photo of a Model K I've seen.

This article was written several years after Kulick left Ford (my guess is about 1946). Kulick says he "retired" from Ford in 1927. This contradicts several historical accounts saying Henry Ford and Harry Bennett were responsible for firing Kulick.

Kulick also says of the Model K, "it was a popular model."

Much more to sift through, and as always, more to learn.

Thanks to those who have helped with this search, and the two relatives who knew "Uncle Frank" as children, and saved materials relating to his tenure at Ford.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Doug Partington on Saturday, April 04, 2015 - 07:41 pm:

Rob, could the above be Bob Trevans "K" I believe his was a NY motor show vehicle ? Kulick must have been amongst the very first professional factory race drivers, once again thanks for the interesting stuff.
Doug

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Burger in Spokane on Saturday, April 04, 2015 - 09:17 pm:

What is the length of a K ?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Keith Gumbinger, Kenosha, WI on Saturday, April 04, 2015 - 09:24 pm:

Rob - Your talent when digging for the facts is amazing....

Please keep up the good work!

Keith

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Kenneth W DeLong on Saturday, April 04, 2015 - 09:30 pm:

Keith is right Rob! I think you could find Jimmy Hoffa!! Bud in Wheeler,Mi.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John Page on Saturday, April 04, 2015 - 10:04 pm:

Doug,

There is every chance that the car pictured is the # 2 that Bob has.

Great stuff Rob.

Best regards, John Page, Australia.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Rob Heyen - Eastern Nebraska on Sunday, April 05, 2015 - 10:10 am:

Doug, every chance it's this "K," or one of the two inside the Armory at the N.Y. Show. Following are period magazine photos of Fords at the 06 N.Y. Show. This shows the "inside" K, a Model B and Model F at the booth:

Another arrangement of the display, with the K (top down) and a Model K chassis (the third "K" at the show), along with the Model F:

And the Model N:

Model N demonstrator outside the Armory. I believe Louis Block, a future Ford Branch Manager, is driving:

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Rob Heyen - Eastern Nebraska on Sunday, April 05, 2015 - 10:19 am:

Burger, the 1906 K has a 114 in. Wheelbase. The 07-08 has a 120 in WB. The length with fenders is 13 ft.

Keith, Bud and John, thank you.

Doug, I had not thought of it, but your right, Frank Kulick was definitely an early carmaker professional driver. Although he began as a mechanic/builder, he quickly became a tester and driver. By 1904 he held his first world speed record driving the 20 hp "baby" Ford racer.

1904 Ford 20 hp racer:
449936264.109368.jpg

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration