Almost OT. Amusing incident on my last trip to the USofA

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2015: Almost OT. Amusing incident on my last trip to the USofA
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Rob Patterson. Moruya, NSW, OZ on Saturday, April 04, 2015 - 07:23 pm:

When we were driving from LA to Vegas for my daughters wedding vow renewal in one of those tacky Elvis themed weddings, I decided to call into Chaffins Garage to say hello to Glen and Dave. While there I decided to buy something for the Speedster project, so I could say that I carried that part back from the USA personally. A coil box, motor meter and Ford script were considered, but I decided on a nice repro brass spider steering wheel. I figured that being flat-ish, it'd fit into our suitcases easily. So we left with a nice new wheel, secured in a cardboard box. When we got to our Vegas hotel, I didn't want to run the risk of having anything stolen from the car so we took everything to our room, including the wheel, which I put on a shelf at foot level under the coffee table. 5 days later, we were on our way to San Francisco via Death Valley, Bakersfield and Rootleibs factory in Turlock. After about an hour's driving and when progressing pretty well towards Death Valley, I asked Sandy where she'd put the steering Wheel. She said she hadn't so I went into an immediate panic, knowing I hadn't either. Straight away, I tried to turn around but being on a super duper divided highway, we needed to wait until we found a turn-around join. When we did, a few miles later, it was marked in blue saying that it was for emergency vehicles only. So I decided to go to the next one, knowing that our hotel room would be being cleaned right now and the wheel was probably being treated badly. 5 miles later, the next turnaround arrived....and it too was blue. I thought, stuff it, and turned there anyway, put the pedal to the metal and drove back to Vegas. The girl at the desk gave me a new card to the room and I let myself in to find that the cleaning lady had already moved it and my heart sank. Then I spied her trolley just inside the bedroom of our suite and on the trolley was the box still with the wheel in it. Boy was I relieved.
When we set about driving off to Death Valley again, we arrived at the spot where we had made the turn 3 hours earlier and it was another 11 long miles before we found a place where non-emergency vehicles could make a U turn.
The drive trough Death Valley was spectacular, bleak and beautiful. I'm glad that even with being well behind schedule we still went that way rather than driving direct to Bakersfield. If you haven't been through there and you get the chance to do so, I'd strongly recommend it.
Cheers,
Rob

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Rob Patterson. Moruya, NSW, OZ on Saturday, April 04, 2015 - 07:45 pm:

When visiting Rootliebs, I knew we'd arrived at the right place when I spied this

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tony Bowker, Ramona, CA on Sunday, April 05, 2015 - 12:51 am:

We put on a tour into Death Valley two years ago and was repeated by the Long Beach club one year later. The roads are great, most have a speed limit of 45 which is perfect for the Model T. The views are incredible, especially towards sunset.

(Message edited by Tony_bowker on April 05, 2015)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Sunday, April 05, 2015 - 01:13 am:

Human memory is an odd thing. My little brother (four years younger) and I both remember seeing Scotty at the castle.

I remember him sitting in a chair, and Mike remembers him sitting in an open car.

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration