I bought a Muncie, can it be fixed?

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2015: I bought a Muncie, can it be fixed?
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Daniel Kraft on Saturday, April 04, 2015 - 07:45 pm:

I got this Muncie in a pile of other parts that I bought off of a guy, and I don't know too much about these. He said that the previous owner had it in a running car before he sold it. It came with an already machined A-2 adapter that fits well. The low gear is worn, and there is a splotch of lead on the bottom of the case. I have three questions.

1. should I melt the lead off and figure out what it was put there for, or leave the old repair intact?

2. what can be done about the low gear damage, if anything?

3. Does this thing have any value in this condition, or is a parts unit?

(Message edited by adminchris on April 05, 2015)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Les Schubert on Saturday, April 04, 2015 - 08:34 pm:

1. we can pretty well guess what the lead is covering up. I wouldn't touch that.

2. Given the price of Layne Warfords, if it was mine, I would make a new gear for the badly worn one.

(Message edited by adminchris on April 05, 2015)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Michael Garrison - Rice Minnesota on Saturday, April 04, 2015 - 08:41 pm:

Gosh Daniel, it sure seems like it would be worth trying to save. It seems reasonable to assume there might be a few others out there that might have a useable gear in them. I guess I'm not very qualified to say and maybe they historically have low gear issues but I guess additional investigation might be worthwhile.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Henry Petrino in Modesto, CA on Saturday, April 04, 2015 - 10:57 pm:

Daniel,
If you decide to get rid of it, I might be interested. If so, just go to my profile and send me a private message including your price for it.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Daniel Kraft on Saturday, April 04, 2015 - 11:39 pm:

I'll keep that in mind, thanks for the offer. If I decide to get rid of it I will let you know.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John McGinnis in San Jose area, CA. on Sunday, April 05, 2015 - 07:06 am:

Daniel
In response to your questions:
1. Leave the lead alone
2. My vision must be bad, but don't see anything serious about low gear. All transmissions have munched low gears.
3. Not sure about that coupling...is it for the front or rear? The rear has a hard coupling like that shown and the front has a U-joint. But the front U-joint can be replaced by a hard coupling like you show.
4. I have two Muncies for sale at Bakersfield. Space D69

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Daniel Kraft on Sunday, April 05, 2015 - 12:34 pm:

John, does this mean that I need two couplings since I don't have the small front u joint?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John McGinnis in San Jose area, CA. on Sunday, April 05, 2015 - 12:47 pm:

Daniel,
It sounds like you need some form of coupling to connect to the Ford transmission...either a hard coupling with a male/female arrangement or a special Muncie U-joint (it is similar to a Ford, but has a shorter female connection to the Muncie). Also, you need a support for the rear of the transmission. Please contact me if you need more help.
John

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Thomas Elliott on Sunday, April 05, 2015 - 01:15 pm:

Daniel:
I have a muncie front U joint that I will sell. If you are interested let me know. I am in Arizona and will be back home on the 18th, if you want the u joint I want $50.00 plus shipping cost.
Tom Elliott twoelliott@msn.com

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Kohnke Rebabbitting on Sunday, April 05, 2015 - 01:16 pm:

John, he has the coupler in his hand in one of the pictures.

Herm

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Kohnke Rebabbitting on Sunday, April 05, 2015 - 01:24 pm:

The coupler goes on the rear, and the front u-Joint is a cut down Ford u-Joint, on the transmission side, easy to do.

Herm.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Daniel Kraft on Sunday, April 05, 2015 - 01:33 pm:

Ok great! While I'm on the subject, how much does the torque tube and drive shaft have to be cut down and machined?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Henry Petrino in Modesto, CA on Sunday, April 05, 2015 - 01:57 pm:

Daniel,

I THINK it's 12", but verify! You'll also need to shorten the radius rods.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Kohnke Rebabbitting on Sunday, April 05, 2015 - 02:42 pm:

What ever the length of the transmission is from gasket surface, to gasket surface, is what you cut out of the tube.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John McGinnis in San Jose area, CA. on Sunday, April 05, 2015 - 05:02 pm:

Herm,
Sorry, but I don't think there is enough meat to make a Muncie U-joint out of a Ford. They are a different animal. The Muncie is more closely coupled
John
u joint
Muncie on left, Ford right
u joint2

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Kohnke Rebabbitting on Sunday, April 05, 2015 - 05:21 pm:

John, look on the u-joint, all the ones I had, have got Ford on them just like a run of the mill Ford joint.

I miced it out when I got the tranny, and there is enough meat there, check it out.

I have one left here now that goes with the tranny I bought 2 years ago.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Daniel Kraft on Sunday, April 05, 2015 - 05:22 pm:

Would you all put this unit in a car as is and use it? Is there anything I should do to it before I use it?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Les Schubert on Sunday, April 05, 2015 - 06:36 pm:

Daniel
That gear ie REALLY going to TALK to you!!
OK, so getting a new gear made may sound scary, it isn't that tough. ANY good machine shop can do it.

It is a straight tooth spur gear. If they machine it from 8620 steel and then get it case harden you will have a like NEW transmission. I Would guess in the $500-700.00 range max.
Consider a new Warford is $2,000.00 or more

If nobody near you will help, I'll volenteer to get it done for you. I Hate to see good useable original stuff thrown away

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Kohnke Rebabbitting on Sunday, April 05, 2015 - 06:55 pm:

Dan McEachern does them.

Herm.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John McGinnis in San Jose area, CA. on Sunday, April 05, 2015 - 08:14 pm:

There are many usable Muncies around...no point in spending that kind of money for a replacement gear. First check to find out if there is anything wrong with your existing one. Noisy maybe...but they all are. A new gear or gears will cost more than the transmission is worth.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By bob middleton on Sunday, April 05, 2015 - 09:48 pm:

Theres several place in hit miss engine world that make a straight cut gear search smoke stak on the web

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration