Switch not turning off

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2015: Switch not turning off
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Butch Reif on Saturday, April 04, 2015 - 07:58 pm:

Replaced the wires to the switch and put everything back according to book the old wires were jumpered around all different ways. I Put things back to the book and I can get it to run good but it won t shut off with the switch. I can unhook the battery and it still runs. I took a test light and got power going to the front pole of the ampmeter but nothing through it. Was wondering if it is a bad meter or what?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Norman T. Kling on Saturday, April 04, 2015 - 09:50 pm:

We need more information on this car. What year is it. What type switch. Are you running on mag or battery? Do you have coils or a distributor or other after market ignition system? If the car has a generator and you disconnect the battery, you will blow the generator. If the switch is on the coil box, you might try disconnecting the magneto and battery wires from the coil box to stop the engine. If you have a separate switch, disconnect the wire between the switch and coil box.

If this happened when you replaced the wires, but it was working before, you have something connected wrong.
Norm

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tony Bowker, Ramona, CA on Sunday, April 05, 2015 - 12:32 am:

I suspect you have the generator wire to the wrong side of the ignition switch. The generator wire must be on the battery side of the switch, otherwise when you turn off the ignition, the generator continues to supply power to the coils.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Butch Reif on Sunday, April 05, 2015 - 09:56 pm:

Ok thanks to all. The old wires were not color coded. They were all black so I made my own harness from switch to block. I got busy with easter festivities and will retrace. It has to be something simple. Damm model t technology.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Stephen D Heatherly on Sunday, April 05, 2015 - 09:59 pm:

Butch, before you start messing with the wires I suggest you take the wire off your magneto terminal.

Stephen

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John Zibell on Sunday, April 05, 2015 - 10:29 pm:

Butch, since you made your own harness from switch to block, that is most likely where the problem lies. Do you have Ron Patterson's schematic handy?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Butch Reif on Tuesday, April 07, 2015 - 03:28 pm:

No I don't have a schematic from ron. I just looked in a old service manual.

I'll try pulling the mag wire

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jerry VanOoteghem - SE Michigan on Tuesday, April 07, 2015 - 03:51 pm:

Butch,

Pulling the mag wire won't solve your problem and was not meant to. It is a safety measure to prevent battery current from accidentally being sent into your magneto, which will ruin it. Since you've apparently got electricity going here & there unexpectedly, some might get into your mag and mess things up.

Tony' suggestion above seems like some good advice to check out. And really, you should buy a proper wiring harness. It makes life a little simpler.

https://www.modeltford.com/item/5042.aspx

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John Zibell on Tuesday, April 07, 2015 - 04:36 pm:

Butch, Here is Ron's schematic. I believe it is the latest. If you car is older, I think Ron has a schematic for them as well.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Strange - Hillsboro, MO on Tuesday, April 07, 2015 - 04:38 pm:

Here is a later update for 1922 - 27 cars:

wiring

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Norman T. Kling on Tuesday, April 07, 2015 - 08:35 pm:

Disconnecting the wire to the magneto wont fix this problem but could prevent another one. If you have battery connected to the magneto post, it could discharge the magnets rendering the magneto useless. You can re-connect the magneto later after your problem is fixed and it will work unless it has already been discharged.
Norm

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration