21" Split Rims 21" tires won't go back on

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2015: 21" Split Rims 21" tires won't go back on
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dave on Saturday, April 04, 2015 - 08:02 pm:

I tried to put my 21" new Tires on my old
21" Split Rim for my 1925-6 Model T Pick up

and the tires went back on the rims while collapsed, but when I try to Open them back to lock position the Dont expand enough to lock back in place.
Do I need a special Tool to get the Rim to expand back to the original Locking Position,,

Or Do I have a 21" tire trying togo on a 22" Rim?
Is that Possible..

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ron in Central Massachusetts on Saturday, April 04, 2015 - 08:12 pm:

Not having a spreader, I used a scissors jack to open the rim enough to lock it back in place. Worked great.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Harold Schwendeman - Sumner,WA on Saturday, April 04, 2015 - 08:29 pm:

Dave - I'm not too good at using "keywords" in this forum to research past postings, however, some time ago, this subject came up (mounting tires on split rims) and I recall that one forum member discussed (and posted photos) of a method he used, perhaps similar to what "Ron in Central Massachusetts) mentioned.

What this "method" consisted of was a couple of "half-moon shaped pieces of wood, cut out of a piece of 2" x !0" or 2" x 12" and placed across from each other inside the rim, and carefully spread apart with some type of small mechanical jack or small hydraulic bottle jack. I actually tried this, and it worked very well. Hope this helps,......harold

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Strange - Hillsboro, MO on Saturday, April 04, 2015 - 08:39 pm:

See this thread:

http://www.mtfca.com/discus/messages/257047/285189.html?1337808736

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Harold Schwendeman - Sumner,WA on Saturday, April 04, 2015 - 09:21 pm:

Bingo! You found the thread I was talking about! Thanks Mark,.....harold

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ron in Central Massachusetts on Saturday, April 04, 2015 - 09:22 pm:

Dave, I did it almost exactly as "Harold Schwendeman - Sumner, WA" described only nothing so elaborate as "half moon shaped pieces of wood." Lay the rim flat on the floor. Wedge a 2x4 inside the rim opposite the locking mechanism of the rim - this forms a "stage" or platform for the scissors jack. Place the jack on this staging with a small block of wood on top of the jack, aligned with one side of the split or another (not so close to the lock that you cannot close it). Crank the jack up until it pushes the rim in place and you can lock it.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Seth from NC on Saturday, April 04, 2015 - 09:26 pm:

I just put my Model T jacket between the two lugs on either side of the latch. Of course after that I bought a correct rim spreader/collapser.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ron in Central Massachusetts on Saturday, April 04, 2015 - 09:33 pm:

Seth, that would work too - I just didn't have a small jack that would extend that far.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Norman T. Kling on Saturday, April 04, 2015 - 09:41 pm:

Whatever you do, don't use too much force or you will bend the rim and make it out of round. Guess how I know this!
Norm

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Alan George Long on Sunday, April 05, 2015 - 08:44 am:

I had a similar experience and found that the rim liner being used was cut too wide and too thick and was actually between the tyre and the rim instead of being just on the lower flat section

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bob Benedict, Hunboldt, TN on Sunday, April 05, 2015 - 09:09 am:

Seth, did you have some type of expanding tool in your "JACKET" pocket? I tried this but the jacket just lays there. What am I missing? Bob

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By john kuehn on Sunday, April 05, 2015 - 09:21 am:

You can use a small bottle jack to expand the rim BUT as others have stated you can bend the rim if your not careful.
If you have a T that has split rims a rim spreader is a must have tool. I finally bought one to mount the new tires on my 24 Coupe and it works great.
Spend the money and do it right. That's what I did.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By brass car guy on Sunday, April 05, 2015 - 09:22 am:

You might measure the I/d of your new tires and compare that with the I/d of your old ones. Seems there is a bit of a difference between new and old.

A friend bought a new set and could not get them mounted. When he checked the actual sizes the new tires were nearly 1 inch smaller i/d. He called the manufacturer and they quickly sent him another set. Seems this is an ongoing issue with quality control for overseas manufacturing. As quickly as they took care of the issue I'm thinking it must be a continuous problem.

just sayin'

brasscarguy

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ken Todd, ............Red Deer, Alberta on Monday, April 06, 2015 - 10:23 am:

Make sure that the tube isn't getting pinched between the rim and the tire. Ifn a bit of the tube gets pinched in between you'll never get that rim to latch up.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Monday, April 06, 2015 - 10:49 am:

Nobody else at the auction knew what it was, so I paid $1 for it. :-)

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration