Sorry about that!

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2015: Sorry about that!
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Pat Clark-Deer Lodge, Tn on Saturday, April 04, 2015 - 09:23 pm:

I bought a '26-27 radiator from a guy in Mn, or should I say I was going to buy it. I was going to swap him a reconditioned Holley 625, that needed to be reassembled, with everything included to do it.
He sent off the radiator before I was able to get the carb ready to ship to him. I got the radiator quickly, from UPS, he left it when I wasn't home. The box looked like crap, and so did the radiator when I opened the box. The top and one face of the box were almost missing!
It was a good thing I have everything I get insured. The bad thing is he put the insurance on it for me, so he got the $100.00 for it. I told him that I was not going to send the carb, if he got the insurance money, for a smashed radiator. He said then send it back, I said but you have been paid for it, send me the $100.00. He said ok keep it, he got a $100.00 bucks out of it.

Pat

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By keith g barrier Savannah Tn. on Saturday, April 04, 2015 - 09:43 pm:

Can be pulled out and fixed I may have a good neck if you need it. Make sure to heat the parts to anneal them or may crack somewhere else. When life gives you lemons.. well you know the rest! KGB

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ted Dumas on Saturday, April 04, 2015 - 11:00 pm:

Sounds like you got a free radiator. You still have your carb. You may not like what happened but you came out ok.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Michael Garrison - Rice Minnesota on Saturday, April 04, 2015 - 11:10 pm:

Yep, one of those Minnesota guys. Nope, wasn't me. Okay, enough of that. Your radiator isn't that hard to fix. If the guy has that radiator maybe he's got a few junk ones or knows someone who does and could get you a replacement neck. Keith's advice to heat in order to anneal is really important.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Frank M. Brady on Sunday, April 05, 2015 - 10:13 am:

UPS guy once told me: "Don't ship with us, we're the enemy".

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Hal Davis-SE Georgia on Sunday, April 05, 2015 - 10:31 am:

Surprised they paid the claim. Too easy to blame on poor packaging. And it may have been.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ken Kopsky, Lytle TX on Sunday, April 05, 2015 - 10:59 am:

Yeah, it used to be UPS would add about five pounds of tape to the box covering all the rips and tears then slap a "Received Damaged" sticker on it. And Lord help you if there's Fragile stickers on it. UPS must line all those boxes up and drop crates on them. I just went through that a couple of weeks ago. The vendor made good on the order so I guess they get their money back. I don't see how UPS makes any money.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mike Conte on Sunday, April 05, 2015 - 11:11 am:

The best way to ship a delicate item is to frame it with wood then then box it or double box it. A box inside a box with cushioning in between creating a crumble zone.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ken Kopsky, Lytle TX on Sunday, April 05, 2015 - 11:29 am:

My order WAS double boxed, Mike. (See previous photo) There shouldn't be any reason to "crate" items shipped domestically but I guess that's the norm now.

To give equal billing, FedEx is no better. They'll deliver your package to anyone in the neighborhood, claim it was delivered and accept any signature for over-night shipments. Then your neighbor has the gall to open the package and not tell you he received it by mistake. I sent the Sheriff over to collect my package after FedEx was finally able to determine where it went five days later.

I hate shipping anything any more.

(Message edited by ccwken on April 05, 2015)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Pat Clark-Deer Lodge, Tn on Sunday, April 05, 2015 - 11:33 am:

Don't get me wrong, I'm not complaining, all though it would have been nice to have gotten a good radiator out of it. He has no more parts, he sold his '27 coupe, all his parts, now he has a '67 fastback Mustang to work on.

I know all about them Minnesotans, I grew up there, we moved from there 7 years ago. I wish we had all the T stuff down here, that they have up there! I had a yard full before we moved.

I will fix it, thanks for the advice about the heat. I know it has to be heated, but didn't think of it right now. (It's the O.L.D. syndrome thing starting to set in. I told that to the doc, and he asked what's that. I said, see!) lol

Pat

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Hal Davis-SE Georgia on Sunday, April 05, 2015 - 12:03 pm:

Don't heat it to bend it. Heat it and let it cool to anneal it, so it bends easily without cracking. Brass gets brittle at high temperatures. It needs to be bent cold, but heating it and letting it cool before hand will anneal it.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By mike peterson on Sunday, April 05, 2015 - 12:54 pm:

Nope not from this Minnesota boy either, i package better than that.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John Zibell on Sunday, April 05, 2015 - 01:00 pm:

If Keith can't come up with a good neck, I've got one. It is a new one I had installed on my old radiator. But it turns out the old radiator isn't useable. I just need to un-solder it to ship.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Pat Clark-Deer Lodge, Tn on Sunday, April 05, 2015 - 02:41 pm:

Nope not you Mike! It was a guy I know, that lives around Blue Earth, Mn.

How hot do I get it, before I let it cool?

Pat

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Hal Davis-SE Georgia on Sunday, April 05, 2015 - 04:29 pm:

I'm sure there's a set temperature. You could probably Google it, but not real hot. Not red. Just until it barely changes color. At least that's what I do with rifle cartridge necks. They sell compounds to determine temperature, if you want to be more scientific.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steven Thum on Sunday, April 05, 2015 - 05:48 pm:

When you ad a fragile sign to your package that means kick it just half way across the dock. :-)

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration